10000 forum users celebration - special event

So, will vPanel be useless in a few years/months and everything will go to IF panel?

1 Like

No. Some things, like databases, will not be able to be migrated without either (A), a decent bit of developing, or (B), and infrastructure change on iFastNets side.

6 Likes

Correct. The implementation in the control panel is a bit… rough, so I thought I could do a better job.

I’m interested to hear all your thoughts!

That’s the dream! It will most likely be years, not months, before that could become reality because there is a lot to do to just migrate the features, and then to make it work stable and reliably.

The recent automation in the SSL certificate process proves that it’s not impossible. But yeah, it’s a lot of work.

5 Likes

@Admin I get a duplicate code every time

if the directory is deleted manually, it is not possible to delete it from here

via this red button

if someone creates a directory with space error 500 occurs (there will be such users :smile: )

5 Likes

Ha!
Glad to see that I am not the only one who makes mistakes like that (If you are following me closely you will know what I mean by this)

6 Likes

You think you’re thorough, but then you give it to someone else and they find new ways to break it you never thought about.

The duplicate code thing is my bad though. The client area checks and replaces the current code, which works well except when the .htaccess file only contains the directory protection code.

All fairly easy to fix though. Although properly escaping the paths is going to remain a challenge.

5 Likes

If string contains space (Or any other invalid char lie \), then return error.
Or you can do an allow list instead of a blacklist (This is what I am using)

1 Like

No, I’m not going to take the lazy way out. If you can create it as a directory, you should be able to protect it as a directory.

There are some filters in place to block many invalid characters, but characters that are technically valid for directories are allowed. Which includes spaces.

Funny enough, the tool in the control panel will just protect path_with_spaces if you tell it to protect path with spaces. That’s just a different directory.

6 Likes

This is what I was referring to:

https://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3986.txt (Appendix A)

A space is not an allowed character when defining URLs. It must be encoded.

@Admin

It’s not very rewarding to test someone else’s work because you often come off as a party popper,
so please don’t hate the messenger :slight_smile:

Most of them have been corrected and the login popup works,
but after entering the data now it leads to IF error 500

–

I fixed it by removing the %20 and putting everything in quotes
Please test it - especially if those quotes have some security implication !
I guess the server doesn’t know what %20 is in opposite to the browser (which plays no role here),
so it see always the wrong PATH.

btw. it took a struggle to remove error 500 from browser cache

3 Likes

The thing to note is that the AuthUserFile is a file path, not a URL. Spaces are allowed in paths.

I tried to just dump the input into urlencode, but that will replace the space with a plus, which is fine for URLs, but it doesn’t work in the .htaccess file.

Replacing the space with %20 is how I fixed it too. No quotes though.

I don’t think you understood me
when is there %20 it lead to 500 error

6 Likes

So apparently Freenom thinks it would be funny to just abruptly remove one domain from my account, they apparently thought I would not notice.

So I go to get that domain back again, and surprise surprise, it now cost $10 a year.

So if you need another reason to hate Freenom, there you go.

5 Likes

Did you forget to renew domain before due date?

2 Likes

No, it didn’t expire for another 7 months or so.

1 Like

Then you are probably using a business name that is currently suitable for them to sell.
It is best to use some nebulous names.

In the end, they will tell you that you are not the owner of the domain anyway, but that it is rented to you.

Sometimes you have to be persistent
or come with another device or IP and of course allow everything if you have an ad blocker.

5 Likes

Thanks for sharing this info. I will check on my Freenom account more frequently

1 Like

Eh, I don’t need the domain anyways, otherwise I would have gone more crazy about it.

The only reason I found out is because it was on Cloudflare, and they let me know that the nameservers disapeared.

2 Likes

Ah, you’re right, indeed that doesn’t work. I only checked for the password prompt.

New version is live now that should be better.

4 Likes

Maybe tinkertechlab.ml

1 Like