404 after changing domain

Username: epiz_27334897

Hi, InfinityFree forum helped me greatly last time, hopefully it can help me this time too.

My domain, sanalog.cf, was taken down by my domain provider, so I bought a new one: sanalog.net. I wanted to keep the same InfinityFree hosting account, so I went to add the new domain (.net) via cPanel, and deleted the old one (.cf). At this point the only domain I has on my hosting account was sanalog.net. All good so far.

The addon domain page on cPanel says that the document root is /home/vol2_6/epizy.com/epiz_27334897/sanalog.net, and InfinityFree client area says the home directory is /home/vol2_6/epizy.com/epiz_27334897/sanalog.net/htdocs. When I use a FTP client, all of my old files that was on sanalog.cf are in htdocs. But when I try to view the website, it gives me a 404 page.

When I go to edit a redirect via cPanel, I get this error:

It appears the document root for the domain name sanalog.net does not exist, please contact support 89347349288

I also get the same error when trying to alter protection on Directory Privacy.

I suspect the FTP client is bringing me to /home/vol2_6/epizy.com/epiz_27334897/sanalog.cf instead of the correct directory, but don’t know how to fix this. Any ideas?

Welcome back!

The simplest way to fix is this to move your files from /htdocs to /sanalog.cf/htdocs using an FTP client like FileZilla.

4 Likes

I believe it should be

from /htdocs to /sanalog.net/htdocs

3 Likes

Thank you for the solution! As @KangJL said, it’s .net, but that’s not a big deal.

One more question though: when sanalog.cf and sanalog.net were both on my account, the directory for .cf was /htdocs, while the directory for .net was /sanalog.net/htdocs. This changed when I deleted the .cf domain from my account, and the directory for .net changed to /htdocs. Should I assume the client area is showing the wrong information?

Really? That’s weird. I guess it’s possible, but I thought that once a directory is set for a domain, it can’t be changed.

Generally, the first domain added to an account is assigned “htdocs”, and any domain added afterwards is assigned “/htdocs”.

4 Likes

That’s… not possible. And not what I see either.

If you added the .net domain as an Addon Domain, it will be assigned to a new directory like example.net/htdocs/, not the main htdocs/ folder. Once you remove the initial domain of the account (and don’t have any domains that were previously linked to it as Parked Domains), then there is no way at all to link a domain to the main htdocs folder ever again.

When you added the .net domain and removed the .cf domain, you had to move the files from the main htdocs folder to the sanalog.net/htdocs/ folder to make it work.

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.