Account suspended over suspicious file

My account was working fine for many months now until today I suddenly receive a message that it has been suspended because of a suspicious file found there. I have already written to the admins to review the case and opened a ticket.

I would like to request the admins that it is a very frustrating policy to immediately suspend accounts when they suspect that a suspicious file has been found. As a user, I have to go through the hassle of contacting the admins and wait until they review everything before they can activate my site again.

A much better alternative would be to simply delete any such suspicious files automatically without suspending the account. The user can then contact the admin and discuss about the file, if it is suspicious or not, but at least the account remains active.

Right now my account is suspended so I cannot even log in to the file manager and delete any such files which the admins think is suspicious.

Please admins, try to look into this and keep account suspension as a last resort and not as the first resort.

Thank you

@Thunderian said:
My account was working fine for many months now until today I suddenly receive a message that it has been suspended because of a suspicious file found there. I have already written to the admins to review the case and opened a ticket.

I would like to request the admins that it is a very frustrating policy to immediately suspend accounts when they suspect that a suspicious file has been found. As a user, I have to go through the hassle of contacting the admins and wait until they review everything before they can activate my site again.

A much better alternative would be to simply delete any such suspicious files automatically without suspending the account. The user can then contact the admin and discuss about the file, if it is suspicious or not, but at least the account remains active.

Right now my account is suspended so I cannot even log in to the file manager and delete any such files which the admins think is suspicious.

Please admins, try to look into this and keep account suspension as a last resort and not as the first resort.

Thank you

I understand having your account suspended if you don’t think you did anything wrong is infuriating. And I wish there were another, more user friendly way to deal with this. However, there are practical issues which truly make this the lesser evil.

The “suspicious files” suspensions are caused because one of your files was 1) found on many accounts which were also marked as malicious or 2) our anti-abuse AI thought the file was malicious. This can result in two options: the file is malicious or the file is not malicious.

If the file is not malicious, we don’t want to delete it because it could break a legitimate website which to a less technically skilled user would be very complicated to repair. Also, if the file is gone, we can’t use it to train the abuse detector that the file is not malicious.

If the file is malicious, it would risk not taking down the site effectively. And if the malicious file is part of a phishing script, not taking it down effectively would be terrible. And again, if the file is gone, we can’t train our abuse detector with it.

Experience has also shown that warning people beforehand, while effective on paper, really harms the abuse handling process. A few examples of common scenarios:

• The user is an phisher and uses the early warning to harvest stolen credentials and delete evidence.
  • The user has already abandoned the account and doesn’t care what happens to it, so doesn’t bother to respond.
  • The user doesn’t see the notification or chooses to ignore it, and won’t do anything unless the account is taken down.

We are doing our best perfect the abuse detection system and in the future we may be able to determine what kind of abuse we think is happening and react accordingly, but until then we have to go for the “better safe than sorry” approach.

Finally, note that we aren’t the only service out there with this kind of policy. All older free hosters I know have a shoot first, ask questions later policy.

And personal experience has shown that even services you pay for take this approach. I have been banned from companies simply because I have domain names which have been used for abuse (despite their services never having touched any abusive content).

@Admin said:

@Thunderian said:

Thank you

I understand having your account suspended if you don’t think you did anything wrong is infuriating. And I wish there were another, more user friendly way to deal with this. However, there are practical issues which truly make this the lesser evil.

The “suspicious files” suspensions are caused because one of your files was 1) found on many accounts which were also marked as malicious or 2) our anti-abuse AI thought the file was malicious. This can result in two options: the file is malicious or the file is not malicious.

If the file is not malicious, we don’t want to delete it because it could break a legitimate website which to a less technically skilled user would be very complicated to repair. Also, if the file is gone, we can’t use it to train the abuse detector that the file is not malicious.

If the file is malicious, it would risk not taking down the site effectively. And if the malicious file is part of a phishing script, not taking it down effectively would be terrible. And again, if the file is gone, we can’t train our abuse detector with it.

Experience has also shown that warning people beforehand, while effective on paper, really harms the abuse handling process. A few examples of common scenarios:

• The user is an phisher and uses the early warning to harvest stolen credentials and delete evidence.
  • The user has already abandoned the account and doesn’t care what happens to it, so doesn’t bother to respond.
  • The user doesn’t see the notification or chooses to ignore it, and won’t do anything unless the account is taken down.

We are doing our best perfect the abuse detection system and in the future we may be able to determine what kind of abuse we think is happening and react accordingly, but until then we have to go for the “better safe than sorry” approach.

Finally, note that we aren’t the only service out there with this kind of policy. All older free hosters I know have a shoot first, ask questions later policy.

And personal experience has shown that even services you pay for take this approach. I have been banned from companies simply because I have domain names which have been used for abuse (despite their services never having touched any abusive content).

Thank you for taking the time to explain the process to me. I understand that this as much of a hassle for the admins as it is for the users.

Can you please tell me when can I expect my site to get reactivated again?

Thank you

@Thunderian said:

@Admin said:

@Thunderian said:

Thank you

Thank you for taking the time to explain the process to me. I understand that this as much of a hassle for the admins as it is for the users.

Can you please tell me when can I expect my site to get reactivated again?

Thank you

The reactivation requests are generally handled within 12 hours.

My site has been reactivated again! :slight_smile:

Thank you once again for your assistance.

@Admin Help with my account… Was updating “links & Resources” and uploaded our clubs PDF files, and now for some reason my account been suspended because of “suspicious uploads”. So far I have been very happy with the overall service I have received since moving from 000Webhost, however I hope this doesn’t become a normal issue around here.

We are a small Amateur Radio Club and having access to files, links to other pages, etc. are a must especially when referring to training, obtaining your license, etc… Please don’t make me regret my move here…

@JARC17 Have you submitted a review request through the form in the client area?

Yes and I’m a little upset because I feel it was for no reason at all. All for uploading pdf files 3-4 to be exact. Still waiting for it to be taken care of.

Think it would be better if you send the account holder email first explaining what the issue is, (specific file) and ask them to take care of it, before “suspending” and/or “deactivating” someones service.

Just now been released and good to go… Thank you all for your prompt look into the issue!

Richard