All my files are missing and my site is blank

Username (e.g. epiz_XXX) or Website URL

epiz_26700976

Error Message

All my files are missing and my site is blank. It just shows a default “Directory Listing” page.

Where are my files? Why were they deleted?

Other Information

Screenshot:

Enter the file manager (Or FTP) and check your /htdocs folder. If it is empty, your files are gone, and there is not way to recover them. Hope you have a backup!

1 Like

Yes, the /htdocs folder is empty.

My question is: Why were they deleted?

The outage maybe? Have you gotten any emails (check spam) about it?

I don’t know why your files are gone. It might be related to the outage, but from what I understand of the issue there shouldn’t be any data loss.

Do you know what was the last time your website was up? Did you see it live recently?

2 Likes

I had not checked it for a few months. It was a basic one page site. I checked it on Saturday and it was showing the blank “Directory Listing” page.

In my account is says Hosting Volume vol1_2

I just checked and I don’t recall any data loss having happened on that volume. So I don’t know what happened to your files.

What I can tell you for sure is that we have no way to recover them.

1 Like

Well that’s just fantastic!

I realise this is a free service and expectations should be low, but what good is a hosting service where the files are deleted for no reason and without any warning?

There is always a warning given, except if there is a failure. The weird thing here is that there were no issues on that server, and your account was not suspended.

Perhaps you accidentally deleted them, or they were never there in the first place?

In any case, I hope you have a backup.

1 Like

Files are never deleted for “no reason”. Files don’t disappear on their own. Just because we don’t know the reason doesn’t mean there isn’t one.

Nobody knows what happened to your files. It could have been anything or anyone.

Just because you don’t have a memory of removing the files yourself doesn’t mean we must have done it. I’m also not saying that we know for sure that we didn’t do it.

But to then conclude that “I didn’t do it, so the hosting sucks” is not fair.

3 Likes

I’d really love to hear your explanation as to why that conclusion is not fair!

When a hosting service deletes/removes/loses/misplaces files then the only sensible conclusion is that it is completely useless. (Or “the hosting sucks”, to use your terminology.)

Likely due to this?

Take note

1. BACKUPS / REQUESTING DATA BACKUP
    It is the client / account holders responsibility to maintain and keep backups of website and MySQL data. We do not provide data restores from our archives / restoring a website or database to an earlier version. We also do not provide free backups / archives of customers own current data. We reserve the right to charge a fee of 14.99 USD if we are requested to create a backup on a customers behalf. We may choose to waive this fee under circumstances of our choosing.
4 Likes

No one moves it, the file may not automatically disappear, may also be illegal elements to take your account password, delete your website files
It is recommended to change the password

2 Likes

Thank you for this information. This explains why my website files are missing. My website was a single page and I had not checked it for a long time. Based on your answer, it has probably been down since June.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.