Any alternative to backup a wordpress site

Hello everyone.
I’d like to backup my wordpress site, so I’m trying to follow the backup guide available on the infinity free documentation.
Since using a wordpress plugin is not recommended, I’m just trying to copy the essential files from the website folder, but it seems to be impossible.
I’m not sure it is because I’m using the windows file explorer to do it, but most of the time, I get a “operation time out” error after waiting a long time.
Sometimes it seems to be working, but it would probably take days to finish, the “remaining time” it’s always stuck at 23 hours, and even when it starts copying files, I still get the “operation time out” problem randomly.
I don’t think my website it’s even 10mb… I’m using the default wordpress theme and I only have 9 plugins installed…
May I be doing something wrong? Is there any alternative to backup my site without ftp?

Any help would be much appreciated.

You can only backup your website with FTP. I suggest using a tool like FileZilla or WinSCP to download the entire /htdocs/ directory. You can just drag it from the server to your PC as the article said. You should also backup your WordPress database (follow the article for that).

Also, your WordPress installation is most likely over 10mb, since WordPress is heavy software and you have nine plugins.

2 Likes

Use Softaculous

Make sure to use a desktop FTP client like FileZilla, since the file manager cannot handle large operations.

Thanks a lot, guys.
I tried this time using FileZilla and I’m finally able to download my site without problems.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.