Broken SSL CSR generation

Hi,
I have a problem with SSL. My previous certificate expired and I went to my CPanel and pressed “Generate Key / CSR” button. Copied my CSR and ordered a new certificate. When certificate arrived, I tried uploading it, but it doesn’t match private key. After examining private key carefully, I found out that it’s exactly the same as the private key for previous certificate. As this button doesn’t generate new key. How do I get a new private key which would match my certificate?

Multiple SSL certificates can be issued for the same private key and CSR, so it’s no problem if the key is not regenerated.

On the other hand, it’s not possible to generate a new private key based on an existing certificate, as that would defeat any purpose of SSL.

What do you see exactly when you try to upload the certificate? Could you post the certificate text here so people can check the validity? Don’t worry about keeping an SSL certificate private, SSL certificates are designed to be shared (that’s how public/private cryptography works).

I am having the same problem. I have completed the steps through Comodo instant SSl certificate process. But after I have copied and pasted my certificate in the third box down and clicked upload certificate, an error message comes up saying that my certificate doesn’t match the private key. I have tried several times with the same error message. How do I get the correct private key to match my certificate? Can you help please?

@INUGOshop said:
I am having the same problem. I have completed the steps through Comodo instant SSl certificate process. But after I have copied and pasted my certificate in the third box down and clicked upload certificate, an error message comes up saying that my certificate doesn’t match the private key. I have tried several times with the same error message. How do I get the correct private key to match my certificate? Can you help please?

Hi,
On the third box, you should upload your origin certificate there not the CA_Bundle that was provided by the CA.
This is just an information if you might done this.

@INUGOshop said:

Sure. Did you read my previous reply already or do I need to tell you the exact same thing in person?

Yes I’ve read it all. But it doesn’t make sense to me, as i’m not a computer expert. I can copy the SSL here if you would like me to.

I have opened the Certificate Zip file in Notepad. Copied it and pasted it in the third box down and I get the same error message. So I’m not sure what to do.

@INUGOshop said:
I have opened the Certificate Zip file in Notepad. Copied it and pasted it in the third box down and I get the same error message. So I’m not sure what to do.

How do you open a zip file in notepad? ZIP files are not printable text!

If there are text files in the zip file, make sure to copy the contents of the right text file.

Okay. 1, I’ve been to Comodo and done exactly what they asked me to do. 2, Got the two Zip files. 3, I have double clicked on the certificate file (not the cluster file). 4, This then opens a certificate wizard installer (nothing else). 5, Tried again, only this time managed to save both files as ‘save as’ files, then opened in Notepad. 6, Copied certificate and pasted it in third box down - SAME ERROR.

@INUGOshop said:
Okay. 1, I’ve been to Comodo and done exactly what they asked me to do. 2, Got the two Zip files. 3, I have double clicked on the certificate file (not the cluster file). 4, This then opens a certificate wizard installer (nothing else). 5, Tried again, only this time managed to save both files as ‘save as’ files, then opened in Notepad. 6, Copied certificate and pasted it in third box down - SAME ERROR.

Did you also do what I asked you to do?

It’s possible that Comodo issued a valid certificate, but it was issued with the wrong CSR. Please try to generate a new private key and CSR, and reissue the certificate using that CSR.