Building and Selling via the Site Builder

Hello,

I’m new to all this so I’d very much appreciate if you could excuse my lack of knowledge. There are so many exciting lines of reasoning flourishing in emerging economies - it’s happening faster than any time in history. So I hope to use IF to build websites exploring some of these ideas.

Could you tell me how I would go about selling websites built in the site builder? Is this a practical ambition? How would I go about transferring ownership of the site once sold? Would it be easier to create a new IF account for each site and selling the username/password (I’d hope not to have to do that as it would feel like I was taking advantage somehow)?

Thanks for your help!

Resale of our services is not allowed, so no technical options are available to make it easy.

If you want to offer pre-built sites using the site builder to buyers (a surprising business strategy considering how easy it is to use), you could tell your buyers to sign up for an account themselves and give them a backup of the site you created on your own account.

Thanks for the response. To be clear I’d be selling the information rather than the technical aspects of the website. What do you mean by “give them a backup”?

@HopeToCodeOneDay said:
Thanks for the response. To be clear I’d be selling the information rather than the technical aspects of the website. What do you mean by “give them a backup”?

Hover over the Publish button and you see an option Backup/Restore. From there, you can download your website builder website as a single file, which you can then upload to the site builder for the same domain or another domain.

Thank you that is very useful.

So as far as I understand, what you’re advising is to use WordPress? I’d like to but they seem to have made it impossible to attach the landing page to the .com element of the domain as opposed to .com/wp/home for example.

Will I have to design the home page of the site in the site builder and the rest using a wordpress theme? So I’d be selling a .sitebuilder file and a WordPress username/password?

@HopeToCodeOneDay said:
Thank you that is very useful.

So as far as I understand, what you’re advising is to use WordPress?

No, not really. You can use whatever you want. But WordPress offer more flexibility.

I’d like to but they seem to have made it impossible to attach the landing page to the .com element of the domain as opposed to .com/wp/home for example.

Of course not! You just need to make sure you install Wordpress to your domain’s main directory and not to a subdirectory, which is the default setting in Softaculous (a weird default, I know).

Will I have to design the home page of the site in the site builder and the rest using a wordpress theme? So I’d be selling a .sitebuilder file and a WordPress username/password?

You could, but why create two websites when you only need one.