Can I create an account without changing my nameservers?

I’m trying to create an account and I’m already using the nameservers I want to use but it’s telling me I have to use different nameservers. How can I create an account without changing the nameservers?

Error Message

Your domain is not yet pointing to ns1.epizy.com and ns2.epizy.com. Change your nameservers at your domain registrar and wait a few hours. You can also create an account with a subdomain first.

Do that.

4 Likes

If I do that my site will go down because I haven’t uploaded my site here yet. I also need to use Cloudflare’s nameservers. Can I at least upload my site first before I switch the nameservers? Will I be able to switch back to cloudflare’s nameservers?

After your account is created here, yes.

1 Like

Short answer: no.

We need to validate you actually control the domain before you can add it to your account, and the only validation mechanism we offer right now is by checking whether the nameservers point to us.

So yes, you MUST update your nameservers first before you can add the domain name. After the domain has been added, you’re free to do with it whatever you want, including moving it to the nameservers of your choice.

3 Likes

OK but it’s an inconvenience to switch nameservers before uploading the site as it means the site will have to go offline temporarily. And that’s a deal breaker.

1 Like

Well, then you cannot use InfinityFree. The only way to set up an account is to switch the nameservers, wait for InfinityFree to find them, and then you can switch them back after your account was created.

Thanks.

1 Like

You can upload your site before changing the name servers.
Create the InfinityFree account using a free subdomain and upload the site to InfinityFree.
After that, when you’ve added your domain name to InfinityFree, you just have to move the files and folders to the new domain’s folder. Even if you created a database, and if you’re using relative URLs in your site, nothing will be affected by this change.

1 Like

Is there a way to do it where I upload the files to the domains folder before adding the domain so that when I add the domain name the site doesn’t need to go offline temporarily?

No, you need to verify the domain (change nameservers) in order to upload files to it.

1 Like

I don’t know if it is possible for you to create the folder in advance. I don’t know if the folder is created with another name if there is already one on the server with the domain name. I never tested it.
But DNS propagation can take up to 48 hours and you’re worried with 1 or 2 minutes to move files?

If you were going to change the nameservers to InfinityFree, it would take you 1 or 2 minutes max to move the files from one folder to the other. Most of the people would still be browsing your site from the old server.
But you are going to point it to Cloudflare after that and you will have to configure it’s DNS entries in Cloudflare. So you will probably need more than 15 minutes. What’s 1 or 2 minutes to move a few files and folders compared to the 15+ minutes that you are going to need to make all the DNS changes plus the DNS propagation time?

Moving the files after the domain has been added doesn’t seem much of a deal to me.
Besides, you can always place a warning in your site 2 or 3 days before the migration, letting your readers know when and for how long your site will be “in maintenance”.

2 Likes

Ordinarily to have zero down time you would set up your site at the new location before changing your DNS records so that when it goes live at the new location it is seemless. I think it’s great what you’re trying to do here but it could use some improvement.

Come on, this is free hosting. Want anything more? Upgrade to premium hosting then…

2 Likes

Can I transfer my site here seemlessly with premium hosting?

I wholeheartedly agree with you. It would be better if it was possible to setup the domain ahead of time. Not only does it make it possible to do zero downtime migrations, it also prevents issues with registrars and registries who validate the nameservers beforehand.

Unfortunately, the decision is not up to me but up to iFastNet, and they don’t provide another option.

Yes, the same validation is not present on premium hosting.

4 Likes

Thanks for the answer Admin

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.