Created new account/subdomain, set up a redirect - pointing to the subdomain via CNAME fails

epiz_32097341 | daseinskunst.freecluster.eu

Hi!

I’ve created a new account with a new subdomain (see above). Today I’ve configured a redirect to my profile on xing_com - which works like a charm when copy/pasting the above subdomain into different browsers on my desktop or mobile. So far what I’ve successfully accomplished :wink:

Afterwards I entered the DNS configuration at the domain registrar of my domains and deleted both A and AAAA record for one of my personal domains: www.daseinskunst_net
Then I added a CNAME record for www.daseinskunst_net pointing to my new Infinity Free subdomain: daseinskunst.freecluster_eu

When trying to open www.daseinskunst_net in a browser (Firefox private and TOR browser) I was redirected to suspended-website_com

So far I’ve read the pinned article pointing out several reasons why suspended-website comes up, a ton of different posts on this forum and the most of the topics regarding DNS in the knowledge base, yet somehow I fail to see the reason for my specific setup to fail.

The original TTL of the A, AAAA, CNAME record was set to 10 minutes, I am using my domains for providing Email service for my family through a couple of M365 E3 licenses thus there are a lot of specific CNAME, SRV and a TXT records I like to keep up and running on the DNS servers from my domain registrar.

What am I missing? Thanks! Hiro.

Giving the nature of DNS some thought and using nslookup to see what is provided, perhaps I tried something which is by design simply not possible.

If I recall correctly, every request from a browser which does not include an actually known (sub) domain will not be matched with an existing account/(sub) domain/stored website content or in my case redirect.

So humor me when I try to think about a different approach:

1. I change at my domain registrar the ns entries for the domain, pointing to the ns servers from Infinity free. Thus rendering my M365 (Email etc.) configuration unreachable for now.

2. As soon as the change comes through I add my domain to my account.

3. Afterwards I change back the ns entries at my registrars configuration back to the original servers. Thus enabling the M365 CNAME etc. to be reached again.

4. I change the A- and AAAA-records in the DNS for [daseinskunst.net] and [www.daseinskunst.net] to the IP shown in the account configuration for my subdomain.

Sounds like a plan which could work? Thanks! Hiro.

2 Likes

This will work! You can’t set up any AAAA records, though, because they won’t work, as we don’t have IPv6 set up.

3 Likes

…so I did as described above. Made a copy of the DNS configuration before changing the ns servers (list item 1) - as expected it was all gone after changing the ns back to the original DNS servers :wink: (a screen shot and a text copy :wink:

Was able to “park” my domain on top of the existing one within the above mentioned account within minutes.

Changing back the ns servers and recreating the entries seems to work as expected. Was able to receive emails under the domain as long as saw the domain redirect in work.

I will let the configuration run for a couple of days to see if something unexpected will come up, if not I will start the change Friday evening for my two other and actually actively used (mail) domains - with the added severity of being a .DE ccTLD.

BR Oaito

Sadly, .de is one of the known ccTLDs known to not work here.

4 Likes

:open_mouth:

…then it was interesting getting to know y’all. I will need to search for another solution that way. Thanks for the help! :grinning:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.