cURL making my pages return a 502?

My website URL is: http://testingahostingservice.ga/auth.php (First time ever here so I want to try some things out before I move here ^^)

What I’m seeing is: a 502 return code.
This is the text that I see:

502 Bad Gateway

nginx

I’m using this software: FileZilla, Visual Studio Code, WampServer.

Additional information: To recreate the steps and to get the same error, please go here > Discord OAuth2 Test
I want to try out using Discord’s OAuth2 system as a different way to log in to your account. Doing this locally doesn’t work as Discord needs a Redirect URI and localhost’s get declined automatically…

Awardspace just returned Failed to connect to discordapp.com port 443: Connection refused .

However on here I am getting a 503. The code is pretty light and Discord’s API is pretty quick to respond. So what gives? Why isn’t it working here?

I checked and cURL is enabled. Which means it should work, right?

*502 not 503. (simple mis-press)

Also why is Editing disabled. On, for example, Byte forum’s (which I believe is EXACTLY the same forum system it’s enabled to edit your own messages)

The reason your code isn’t working is probably because of some kind of block. This could be a block on the free hosting infrastructure or a block from Discord to our servers, but the reason is always the same: abuse.

Sadly, when you give people something for free, they will look for ways to abuse it. One way free hosting is abused is to upload spam bots which they use to blast spam and malware to message boards, comment sections and, you guessed it, chat systems.

So that’s why we block access to social networks and, if we’re not quick enough to detect the abuse, social networks block us.

If you want, I can ask around and see if I can tell you why exactly this happens. But the chances of people able to do anything about it are very small.

The forum you’re linking to is also using Discourse. One of the features of Discourse is Trust Levels. Which means that people who have been spending time on the forum, reading and writing posts get more privileges than people who are new.

In our forum, post edit permissions is restricted to people with Trust Level 1. That level is quite easy to get to, and does help to prevent spam.

Thank you a lot for your quick reply!

If there is a way to rate the customer support I’d rate the highest I could as you did answer my question and are generous enough to even provide more details if possible about my problem.

That makes sense and do agree that that is a good way to protect your forums. (the same thing with trust I believe is in Byte’s forums. Where being level 1 allowed you to edit messages and more.)

What about verification? What if people had to verify their projects to administrators and get permission to do such things? I mean this could sound like a lot, but not everyone’s intentions is to spam and I can’t think of a different way to differentiate bots and script makers from normal site developers and designers.

That’s be nice and if there is a way to fix this I’d be willing to help if needed. ^^

You can click the hear button at the footer of any post to “Like” it :wink:

It’s an interesting idea, but I suspect that it won’t work so well. I don’t have the time to manually review a large number of websites, and if I would review the website, I can’t verify there isn’t some hidden code somewhere in the application which does nasty stuff. And even if the account is clean now, once any block is lifted, people would be free to start abusing it anyways.

Additionally, our current blocks are done on the server level, not on the account level. So there are some huge technical challenges to overcome before we could whitelist individual accounts.

Doing such a verification based setup would require a lot of effort for every free hosting account, which is not something we can reasonably do. With premium hosting, this would be no problem, but on there we give people the benefit of the doubt and don’t block access to anything to begin with.

So there’s no solution to fixing cURL requests?

Hey @Admin I’ve been thinking… What if I find a different host to just host connections and data processing which will have working cURL scripts and maybe other things, but most of the other code and data is kept here?

Would that be a good solution to the current issue?

I really want to stay here as this is the only place where my creativity and experiments have no limits! ^^ (don’t worry I will obey the rules no matter if tools to break them are disabled, I will not spam or abuse your systems :smile:)

bump

Well, cURL requests themselves are working fine. It’s specifically the access to the Discord API which is having problems.

I’m not sure if the issue is a block on our end or on Discord’s end. I asked iFastNet to check, but judging by the fact that you got similar issues with Awardspace, I suspect it’s probably the latter.

So the only “solution” there is would be to ask Discord to explain and/or lift this block, but that’s not something we can just fix.

Of course, you could use a hosting server or service somewhere else to forward the API calls through, which is probably good enough as a workaround. But I can’t imagine that would be beneficial to the speed or reliability of your site.

EDIT I asked iFastNet and they did confirm the suspicion: access to the Discord API was blocked because of an excessive number of spam bots using it.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.