Daily Hit Limit Handling

Is there a way to poll the server for one’s daily hits status during webpage loading, so one can throttle how the site works programmatically? For example, if one is on the lower end, you can fully render the site, including images that the visitor may not have locally cached, but if it is on the higher end, images can be removed from the site (therefore not generating hits) to help keep the site under the limit.

Though, would such polling count as a hit in of itself, if you could do it? ponders

For me, I just use Cloudflare feature: Page Rule
I move static assets (image,css,js,font,etc.) to one subdomain (e.g.: cdn.example.com),then apply the rule such as:

Edge Cache = cache on Cloudflare side
Browser Cache = cache on visitor side
So if visitor visit my site,they won’t retrieve again from original server side (InfinityFree),instead from Cloudflare side until the cache expires.

1 Like

If you have questions about our hosting, please use the Hosting Support category. Asking how to skirt our limits is not “general chit chat”. I moved your topic for now, but please pay more attention next time.

As for your question itself, no you cannot check your site’s resource programmatically. After all, we want you to stay within the limits, not to do your best to use as much server power as possible just before getting suspended.

If you’re worried about images generating too many hits, you could also offload the images to an image hosting service ahead of time. That way, you can skip the conditional checks.

4 Likes

If you have questions about our hosting, please use the Hosting Support category.

I admit to being unclear, so if I erred there, my apologies.

Asking how to skirt our limits is not “general chit chat”.

I believe you have mistaken my intentions, here. I am not trying to skirt the limits, but rather to engineer my site to gracefully degrade if I am approaching the hits limit for the day, as to avoid being shut down randomly for 24 hours. I am uncertain if what caused the shutdown I just endured was a site error on my part or a DOS attack, so having the site monitor its own vitals would be a useful feature to help avoid issues going forward.

I moved your topic for now, but please pay more attention next time.

Thank you.

As for your question itself, no you cannot check your site’s resource programmatically.

So a graceful degradation model will not work. Thank you for the reply. I will have to think of another way to manage things.

After all, we want you to stay within the limits, not to do your best to use as much server power as possible just before getting suspended.

I respect that point of view. Minimizing server load while maximizing site usefulness is the goal, here. In the case of my site, it is just a custom-created wiki for my worldbuilding, so it shouldn’t be anywhere near generating that many hits in a day under normal circumstances. I would host it myself off a raspberry pi on my home network if services that convert my dynamic DNS into a static one were still free to use, but as far as I can tell that is not a viable option in the current environment.

If you’re worried about images generating too many hits, you could also offload the images to an image hosting service ahead of time. That way, you can skip the conditional checks.

An interesting idea, there. I will definitely consider finding some other hosting service for that media. I would do the same thing with the other likely cause of hit generation (the articles directory that the wiki uses to build the displayed content), but cross-domain fetches of text files are a security issue that most browsers would block out of hand.

Thank you again for your time.

1 Like

The thing is: you’re not minimizing the server load by doing this. You’re doing the exact opposite.

A suspended account generates (basically) no server load. An active website generates server load. An active website which uses a lot of server power first and is then suspended, first uses a lot of server power, but no server power in the 24 hours after that.

With your “graceful degradation”, you are basically uses just below the suspension trigger in resource usage at all times. This would actually be the way to stress the servers as much as possible without triggering action. Because the degraded website would still use more server power than a suspended one.

If you want to make sure that your website can handle traffic, and you’re willing to do some work to make that happen, then please consider building performance optimizations which you can run at all times. Like combining and minifying assets, using aggressive caching, offloading static content to a CDN, and so on. And as a bonus: it may make your website faster too.

6 Likes

if one gets too many suspensions, then suspension will become a ban?

and how to prevent that? excluding anything illegal. what’s I’m referring to is simple CPU limits. or entry process limits. could you get banned if too many suspensions added to the list

Yes, you will get banned if your hosting account will got 40 suspensions in total.

Don’t you just ask same question in multiple topics?

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.