Discourse

I’m currently digging into this, so far I have found one free solution although you will need a credit card:
https://blogs.oracle.com/developers/install-run-discourse-for-free-in-the-oracle-cloud

This allows me to make the forum?

Yes

Did that say… Always free? :joy:

Indeed it does.

3 Likes

Credit Card for what, I mean i have one but if it is free why’d they need it then?

According to them:

“You’ll need to have a credit card on file, but you’ll absolutely never be charged if you stick to the ‘always free’ services.”

This doesn’t accept Credit Card only MasterCard Amex and Visa.

Credit card types, Are like Visa, however I got declined, and get an error 2 times, and support told me to try again.

oof then

oracle is trusted but i dont have cc

You get access to their portal and can create however many servers of whatever size you wish, as well as databases, storage and other things. At the end of the month, you’ll be charged for what you’ve used, minus the free tier. If you stick with the free tier, you pay nothing.

But if you exceed the free tier, either by accident or on purpose, you’ll be charged for the extra.

Their business model is still to sell server space. So once you’re in, they want to make it as easy as possible to spend more money.

7 Likes

@Admin,
This is not exactly how oracle works.
Yes, this answer would be perfect for AWS or other systems not for oracle.
Because My friend has personally used Oracle Clouds and Always Free means free, they had not paid anything yet.

The only thing is bandwidth, which can be set using 50% and 90% reminders.

I’ve also used Oracle Cloud. This is exactly how it works. This is what I wrote about it:

To clarify that last sentence: “if you use less than what’s provided by the free tier, you pay nothing”. If your friend has not exceeded the free tier, they haven’t had to pay anything yet.

And it should also be noted that new registrations can typically get some free credit to use with these services, which may have allowed them to exceed the Always Free tier initially.

5 Likes

So it’s same with Heroku. :thinking:

Of course. He is using Always free cloud from 2 years with no charges.
Ca’z he limits completely.

I found another way a few months ago but it only pinged to my mind now, it’s possible to install Discourse on Heroku, but it will be difficult.

I also found that, yet difficult + not available in free plan.
Discourse really eats a lot of memory and CPU.
Would be OK for 10 members.

1 Like

23 posts were merged into an existing topic: 10000 forum users celebration - special event

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.