DNS issues on free hosting: DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN

DNS issues on free hosting: DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN

Right now, it seems like there is an issue with the nameservers of free hosting. This appears to have started some time on the 13th of January, seemingly around 19:00 UTC.

Which components are affected by this issue

All websites that use our nameservers are affected by this issue. This includes all free subdomains and all custom domains that do not use external nameservers (like Cloudflare).

Some of our own systems, like the control panel, are affected by this issue as well.

What issues may you see

You will see some error indicating a DNS issue. In Google Chrome and Chromium-based browsers, this error is shown as DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN.

When will this issue be resolved

We are doing our best to get these issues resolved as soon as possible. Unfortunately, we don’t have enough details to tell how soon that will be.

Upgrades are being performed on the nameservers that should solve these issues.

What can you do to fix this

At this time, our recommendation is to wait for the system upgrade to complete and this issue to be fixed.

If you insist on doing something right now, and if you have a custom domain, you can switch your domain name to other nameservers, such as the ones provided by your domain registrar or from a separate provider like Cloudflare.

We are aware of the issue and are doing our best to get this resolved as soon as possible.

I completely understand that this may cause confusion and you will have additional questions. I am happy to provide any information I have to help you.

However, to keep the contents of this topic clean, clear and concise, I ask that you carefully read the Outage Communication Rules before posting.

In a nutshell:

• Please keep the posts about the outage in this topic, and all posts not about this outage outside of this topic.
  • Please post relevant questions only that have not been answered yet. It may be compelling to ask obvious questions like “when will this be fixed”, but basic information like that will be put in this message as soon as we know it.
  • Please carefully check the known symptoms and affected components.
    • If you are on the affected components, you are almost certainly affected by the outage. If so, please refrain from simply stating you are affected, it does not help get your service back up faster.
    • If you are not on the affected components but do experience all of the symptoms, please say so below so we can check if our list is incomplete.
    • If you do not experience all listed issues and are not on the components that are known to be affected, the issue you are experiencing is most likely not related to this outage. If so, please create a new topic in the Hosting Support category and describe the issue there.
  • If you say you are affected by the outage, please always include your website URL. I can’t check if you are affected by the outage if you don’t say which of your websites is affected.

Posts that do not follow these rules may be deleted without warning. This is to help ensure that all the relevant information is easily available to everyone reading this topic.

9 Likes

Just wanted to say I noticed intermittent DNS issues (site would give the DNS error first but then sometimes connect after a bit) on my sites (epiz_26968597 and epiz_31688689) much earlier than 13th Jan 19:00 UTC, it started at least 24 hrs before then for me.
Thanks for the update though

1 Like

That’s entirely possible. Our own monitoring has shown some flakiness roughly around the 11th of January, but I can’t say for sure whether that would actually be noticeable for people or if it’s just the monitoring acting up.

5 Likes

It seems that the issues have been largely resolved since yesterday around noon UTC. Since then, the nameservers have been mostly stable.

We’ll keep monitoring the situation, but for now it seems like the outage is resolved.

4 Likes

Still not working: https://eurocoinsrunnobs.epizy.com/,

Seems valid

Patience…

4 Likes

It’s working again indeed, thanks.

1 Like

A post was split to a new topic: Down

I dont know if its still not working or if Namecheap doesnt accept the ns1.epizy.com Nameservers because everytime i try to change to Custom Nameservers this pops up.

epiz_33335770. No domains found on this account.
This site can’t be reached. DNS address could not be found. Diagnosing the problem.

It seems that the issue hasn’t been solved completely.

The message isn’t exactly helpful. “something went wrong” and “please try again”?

I would say to first try what the message says and try again later. If that doesn’t work, you should contact Namecheap’s support about this. Only they can tell you why you see this error.

The message doesn’t contain any details suggesting the issue might be with the nameservers you’re trying to use, so until more information is available would assume that this is an issue with Namecheap, not with us.

If there are no domains on the account, then no site is reachable. If there is a domain that you want to be reachable, please add it to the account.

6 Likes

A few notes:

• There have been more DNS problems today. I also see that some DNS configuration is shifting which means that this issue is being worked on.
  • This topic is about DNS issues. Any issues which are not DNS related are definitely not related to this issue, so please post them elsewhere.
  • If you still need to post here, please always include your domain name. It’s the nameservers that are malfunctioning, which we can check instance wide or for individual nameservers. A username tells us absolutely nothing.

In short: changes are being made, but it can take a few more days before everything is completely fixed and stable.

7 Likes

Yesterday a lot more changes were made to the DNS infrastructure. This seems to have improved things a lot and fixed almost all issues.

I also got confirmation from iFastNet that almost all changes were completed yesterday (and the last finishing touches today). So I think this means that everything is solved now!

5 Likes

2 posts were split to a new topic: Domain Not Showing

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.