EP limit suspension / images do not always load

Yes.
If you request a page, for example /folder/file.php on the old site, your 301 redirect will take you to the same page on the new site. It will even redirect GET parameters (but NOT POST parameters).

5 Likes

Thanks for the reply

@lovebug

Where do I find these options?

The new site is still stopping downloading images after about 6 images :frowning:

TIA

1 Like

can you post your new website url here, i’ll take a look see whats happening

as for the cloudflare you’ll need to setup the parked domain as its not compatible with the infinityfree subdomain, after that you can register for free at https://www.cloudflare.com/ and add your domain name

theres some setting up of name servers and such required

Hello,

www.old-rotherham.epizy.com - New Domain
www.old-rotherham.co.uk - Parked Domain
www.old-rotherham.rf.gd - Old Site - 301 Re-Direct

A few of the larger pages that show the problem…

www.old-rotherham.epizy.com/Whiston.php
www.old-rotherham.epizy.com/Brinsworth.php
www.old-rotherham.epizy.com/Masbrough.php

Thanks for your continued help.

I hit f12 in firefox and had a look at the network data (with cache disabled)
seeing a lot of 508 errors on the images

i then tried the new domain on the same page and got this :frowning:

do you need to use php on your pages ? would simple .html files do the job ? this would reduce the server load a lot

1 Like

i think setting up cloudflare would help, create an account there and add your domain name to it

it’ll give you two cloudflare domain name servers that you’ll have to put into your domain name hosting company panel

you’ll then be able to take advantage of cloudflares caching by adding a page rule like the one i posted a screenshot of in an earlier post

using .html instead of .php (if possible) and cloudflares caching will take a huge load off of the infinityfree server

Unfortunately, the OP uses subdomains, so they will not be able to use Cloudflare.

If you want to use CF, you will have to buy a custom domain name. If you don’t, follow this guide:

3 Likes

old-rotherham.co.uk is top-level, so it would be able to be added to CF.

@wackyblackie op does have a parked domain that he can use with cloudflare

1 Like

Hello All,

Thanks for your help so far.

Bad News: I have received a 50% limit email today for the new account :frowning:

What I don’t understand is until about 6 weeks ago I never reached the 50% limit, without any noticeable increase in traffic I am now hitting 100% and being suspended,

This was also the time that the images stopped showing on 1st load.

In regards to useing .php the site was originally hosted Virgin Media’s free hosting which was very restrictive and I found a way to use text files to create the links on the home page and the Next links on the other pages.

I believe that it was .asp on Virgin Media but had to rename to .php when moving to other free hosts.

Just done a quick test and both .htm and .asp loses the footer including the automated text file to links code.

www.old-rotherham.co.uk/Asda.php
www.old-rotherham.co.uk/Asda.asp
www.old-rotherham.co.uk/Asda.htm

Thanks
Dave

This means you need to redo your code somehow. Maybe instead of many images in one page, you split it into more pages with only 6-10 images per page.

Our servers use PHP as the dynamic scripting language, which is why .asp does not do anything (our servers do not run ASP). .htm(l) is used for static content on our servers, so it will not be sent to the interpreter, only to the client which is why the footer does not load.

1 Like

Each page is of a specific location / building etc, Splitting to Page1, Page2 etc seems so 1990s :frowning:
It still doesn’t answer why I never got a 50% email until about 6 weeks ago and now I’m suddenly going over 100% without an increase in traffic.
Strangely I have just done a test on about a dozen of the larger pages and all but 1 loaded straight away including those that where problematic earlier.
The 1 that is failing has 19 images ( https://www.old-rotherham.co.uk/OlympicTorch.php ). Previous failing ( https://www.old-rotherham.co.uk/Masbrough.php ) has 35 images and is now working ???

Think I would have to try to find another host before re-writing over 160 pages :frowning:

Thanks
Dave

It is weird, I’m not in a disagreement on that. The new account somewhat proves that the issue on with your page, but if it worked before, then something changed on the server side. So something’s up.

One other thing I can think of. Do you have a backup from back when the site was working correctly? Try installing that backup and don’t change anything with it, see what happens.

As for other hosts, most (good) free hosting providers use the same network/servers that InfinityFree does. InfinityFree is also one of the only free hosting services with good community support. Unfortunately, you are not going to get much better without paying.

1 Like

Hello,

The only changes that happen is creating a new page from a template or updating a page with a new “Image Set”.

None of the coding has changed for at least a year.

in regards to backups I just have a offline copy that all changes are done to first before uploading so it is more a current copy in case the host disappeared than an historic backup.

I must agree about the community support, the last couple of days have proved that. I also know that I can’t complain too much about a service I get for free but it is good to have a little internal scream every now and then :scream_cat:

Thanks
Dave

I am very sorry but I actually forgot about this part

The only thing I can suggest (sorry this is going to be a pain) is instead of an infinityfree subdomain with a parked domain is

1. create an account with the custom domain option using your domain name - so that there is no infinityfree subdomain visible to the outside world (evil bots etc). this will create the standard directory /htdocs

2. use infinityfree addon domain option in cpanel and add your domain. this will create a new directory /old-rotherham.co.uk/htdocs

3. add the site to cloudflare again and set the name servers again

4. turn on ddos protection and add the cache rule in cloudflare

5. upload your site to the new /old-rotherham.co.uk/htdocs directory and delete the original /htdocs that was created

At one point I got 15000 hits from the netherlands per hour every day and this was getting my site suspended and somehow I think they were accessing the infinityfree subdomain url instead of my main domain name so they were bypassing the cloudflare protection and is why I ended up (finally) creating a new account with custom domain instead of a parked domain

Just to let you know: I was informed by iFastNet yesterday that a few changes have been made:

• The rate limit has been increased, meaning pages with many images should work now.
  • An issue was fixed that caused Entry Process usage to be much higher on sites with a lot of static content. This was fixed, so high EP usage should be mostly related to PHP again, as it was before.

These two fixes together should help ensure that your pages just work and you should not get suspended again.

5 Likes

Thanks to everyone that helped with advice.

Will see how it goes with the changes that @Admin has stated.

Be warned, I will be back if this start to go wrong again :slight_smile:

Dave

2 Likes

@Admin well done for the fixes

btw im really curious to the technical side of what caused the static html ep usage to be so high but you dont have to answer this :smiley:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.