Error During Export

Hello @Admin!
I get this error when I click begin export for moving my SMF forum to vanilla forums. Any help on this? I believe you know my db details and the rest. It says something on line 1672 or so is disabled due to security reasons. Could you enable whatever it may be so I could finish what I am doing then disable it later.

Actual error > Error in uploads/vanilla2export.php line 1675: (2) set_time_limit() has been disabled for security reasons >

Thank you for including the actual error message right away. Knowing what you see if really important for people to be able to help you.

This particular error is caused by the maximum PHP execution time being limited to 20 seconds and it’s not possible to change or override this on your own account. If your software demands to override these settings, it won’t work here.

The best way to work around this is to install a local PHP and Apache installation (tools like XAMPP, WampServer and MAMP make that easy). Then you can transfer the website to your own computer and run the export there.

On your own computer, you’ll be able to customize the server settings any way you like. And since this is probably just a one time export anyways, I don’t think you absolutely must do this on your hosting account at all.

@Admin
I think I see where you are going. This ish can’t be resolved via this host.

But one ish when using xampp or the likes is, the software requires me to download a file and I must be online to do that (or could localhost do that?)

If it can, do you mind explaining how I can transfer my site for testing using xampp? Thanks!

@losmedia said:
I think I see where you are going. This ish can’t be resolved via this host.

But one ish when using xampp or the likes is, the software requires me to download a file and I must be online to do that (or could localhost do that?)

As long as the computer you’re the web server on has a working internet connection, then downloading stuff is no problem.

If it can, do you mind explaining how I can transfer my site for testing using xampp? Thanks!

In short:

1. Download the website files through FTP and save them in the web directory of your local webserver.
  2. Download a database backup through phpMyAdmin in the control panel.
  3. Create a database on your local computer and import the database backup in there.
  4. Update the configuration file of your script to point to the local database.

Will try those out when I am free. Thanks :wink: