[FEATURE REQUEST] SSH Implementation

You can add it on the forum setting, I guess.

The way that MOFH (iFastNet’s free reseller system that IF uses) the entire system is hosted with iFastNet, including the control panel. InfinityFree is unique because of their custom client area, which is a part of this website. On other MOFH resellers the cPanel would be at cpanel.examplehost.com, where for InfinityFree, it’s cpanel.epizy.com, and not cpanel.infinityfree.net. This is because this site (which the admin has full control over) is separate from the cPanel (which they don’t have control over because it’s handled by iFastNet) It’s a genius system really, and it’s part of why I went with InfinityFree.

4 Likes

What about a web based SSH, such as 2freehosting?

1 Like

2freehosting was a reseller of the now defunct YouHosting. All of their resellers had that same SSH web console (including GrendelHosting, InfinityFree’s predecessor), however it was a feature of YouHosting, and the same problem still stands: iFastNet would have to be the one who adds any such features.

6 Likes

Who is this “Some Guy and his team” you’re referring to in your diagram?

But like @anon54841129, the VistaPanel and the hosting system it controls is a black box which I have basically no control over. But I knew that when I started, and consciously made the decision to do so.

When YouHosting was about to collapse, I had to make a decision: will I quit the industry entirely, attempt to build my own free hosting platform, or will I find another provider who can provide me with a service to rebrand and resell? I opted for the latter, and chose iFastNet to work with.

That’s because iFastNet provided me with a great opportunity: they have a technologically extremely sophisticated platform, but failed to wrap it up in a nice package. With the client area and this community, we were all able to turn good technology into a great service which is loved by many people.

I didn’t have the resources at that time (and still don’t) to build a platform which can rival iFastNet’s. I certainly don’t agree with every decision they make and every priority they set. But I enjoy working with iFastNet and I know that InfinityFree wouldn’t have been possible without them.

6 Likes

This guy is about to start a revolution

hi, some web deployment need ssh to completing the installation like laravel framework, i have laravel web app and i want to deployed but i need ssh to do next:
1- pull the site repo using git
2- doing composer requirements
3- make pubic folder linked to public_html
4- laravel artisan commands

That is basically what I’m asking @Admin to do. To me, SSH is like a whole new world of options to explore with the webhosting. SSH unlocks a large variety of options to choose from.

Some guy and his team is the person iFastNet hired to take control of the CPanel (If they even did).

Ah, right. iFastNet builds the panel in house and from what I know, they aren’t that big of a company. I wouldn’t personally consider the panel developers to be quite so separate. The L1 support staff probably know the panel developers in person.

@abdosaeed I can see why SSH access would be useful to run Laravel. However, you have to understand that Laravel was definitely not built to run easily on a website hosting service. An application hosting service like Heroku or Cloudways works much better for Laravel. Having run Laravel applications on both services like that and on premium shared hosting, I can promise you that any web hosting service is painful to use if you want to run Laravel.

3 Likes

So? What next? Are you going to think about asking iFastNet to implement the feature? Like what @rebal15 suggests, you could possibly implement something like 2FreeHosting web-based SSH. You should consider iFastNet to implement it. It would be a great asset to the website.

thank you for your attention admin,
i already tried Heroku and Cloudways before, heroku allowed socket application because it run nodejs as default also need exactly deployment step to be in role, i deployed i fresh copy on my work in (http://asaylaravueadmin.herokuapp.com/), but i think heroku has a file structure that not allow storing file like users attachments, also not give a database must be out, also i tried Cloudways but my subscribe expired, i tried to deploy laravel in website hosting service need to make public_hml as short link with laravel public folder and with work great, the ssh needed for composer requirement and artisan commands, if i have a a chance i can do it.
thank you

You could try Glitch. They don’t purge your files daily like Heroku does.

2 Likes

Just FYI, SSH access only does not mean you can change the document root of your website. The document root of a website needs to be changed in the webserver configuration. While changing that configuration is usually done through SSH, SSH access does not automatically give you the option to change server configuration. SSH access on any web hosting service is very limited. If you want full control over server configuration, a VPS is probably the best choice for you.

As for the files, Heroku’s “12 factor” design means that you need to use object storage like Amazon S3 to store any files, because local storage is hard to keep safe, fast and scalable. Since you use Laravel, you already have access to it’s Storage system, which can make working with object storage just as easy as working with local files. Source: the InfinityFree client area also does that.

3 Likes

So can you or can’t you think about asking iFastNet for SSH. You could try something like 2FreeHosting web-based SSH. I’m not sure how that works (I’ll have to look into it), but it sounds like it could work.

Even if they did ask for it, it still all but impossible that they would add it, considering it’s not even on their cheapest paid plan. Why would they give the free accounts a tool they wouldn’t have if they upgraded?

4 Likes

I can ask, but I already know the answer. Business Hosting has it, Premium Hosting doesn’t. Like @anon54841129 said, it wouldn’t make sense if free hosting had more features than premium hosting. After all, premium hosting is supposed to be an upgrade, and it’s not an upgrade if you have to hand in features.

I know roughly how it works. Or worked. 2FreeHosting used the same YouHosting platform as we (as Grendel Hosting) did. So please stop calling it 2FreeHosting SSH, because they did not build or design this system, and weren’t the only ones to offer it.

The YouHosting web console implemented a small set of commands. Whenever you would enter a command, it would parse the command in it’s own code and check the arguments, options and flags being sent to it. If it understood the command, it would rebuild it in it’s own structure, execute it and write the output to the web console.

This was very limited because:

• You could only use the commands which were implemented in the console. You could download a WordPress zip file and extract it, but you could not remove the archive afterwards, because the rm command was not implemented.
  • You could not execute other scripts. So no PHP commands or bash scripts.
  • For the commands they did implement, you could only use the options and arguments the console supported. Does the command line program have certain arguments you want to use but does the web console parser not support or understand these arguments? Tough luck, can’t do that.
  • The web console was REPL only. So no interactive commands and programs.

I don’t know exactly what you want to do that you want to have shell access, but I’m fairly certain that the YouHosting web console does not provide you with the power to do what you need to do.

Finally, it should be noted that the current Hostinger.com platform is based on the platform originally built for YouHosting. So the web console code has been in that code base, but Hostinger chose to remove it. I don’t know when or why they did this, but they did. Maybe it was too cumbersome to maintain, maybe people did not use it, or maybe it posed too big of a security risk (keep in mind that this tool was developed by a company which had not one but two major data breaches in the last few years).

In any case, I don’t see why I should push to reproduce a feature which I know from experience was bad and has been removed already.

6 Likes

Well, I didn’t know that that web-based shell was that bad of an interface. I take what I said back. When I find a better interface to suggest, I will suggest it. In the meantime, I will just be waiting for a response that probably will help in this topic furthermore.

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!

I would like to thank you for implementing SSL for the websites. I can’t thank you enough.
It has been a feature I’ve been wanting for a while now.

1 Like

hmm… this makes the topic more interesting. @Admin i thought you have admin access to the panel? or at least reseller access which can allow/disallow features to the user?
so is that all features can only go through Ifastnet that you have absolute no control of?

1 Like