File problem

cq92.rf.gd and all subdomains

Any attempt to make a folder results in can’t create FTP error, using Monsta file manager. Using ftp client, same thing. Even changed htdocs to 777 permissions … same.

Any attempt to use softaculous to install anything is same, can’t write to config files.

OSCom catalog on catalog.rf.gd (subdomain) suddenly errors, can’t find template folder… any edited files suddenly lose their content, a few seconds after save they are 0 bytes. Also admin panel suddenly errors and says php syntax is wrong … worked fine when installed.

Uninstalled that software and now it will not re-install at all with softaculous, can’t write config and quits. Tried manual upload with filezilla and re-install … refuses to upload. Previously tried copying new template files to the old install … filzilla uploads a couple and skips the rest. Lots of work down the drain … poof ! just like that for no apparent reason.

It sounds like there is some issue with your account with creating files. But in order to verify that, I would like a bit more specific information.

Can you give an example of which file you’re trying to create where? And what is the full error message you see when you try to create that file?

1 Like

I am trying to reinstall OSCMax to catalog.rf.gd using softaculous. It says cannot write to config .php. I note the same problem on a different subdomain as well in trying a softaculous install… same prob, can’t write to any config file to setup.

I noted a problem with the catalog when working on it … from working fine it suddenly could not find it’s location or language, then after it’s template files.I noted then the template files has 0 bytes content. On trying to edit the suddenly empty file, it would show it was edited has 168 kb, then a few seconds later suddenly turn to 0 kb, by itself as if something was erasing it. My next step was delete the install and reinstall which was where it suddenly refused to write the config files.I then cmod htdocs to 777 and same problem, full write permission and it refuses to write. Previously that install was no problem and worked fine. After leaving it for several weeks, on returning to work on it, suddenly it does not work at all, full of errors in the catalog admin section and cannot be reinstalled.
On using filezilla to try a manual install of oscmax, it will copy some php files, refuses to make any folders and and shows error disk quota exceeded or simply upload a few separate files and suddenly skip many others then say completed.

I also find I cannot install anything with softaculous to any other subdomain under that account. Same error… on install any config file needing to be written to refuses to write and install fails.

Softaculous installer error message:

The following errors were found :

• Could not write the Configuration File _configure.php
  • Could not write the Configuration File configure.php

perhaps you should just do a clean install. Then it will be certain it won’t break.

If you’re unable to create new files, the typical cause of that is that you’ve hit the inode limit.

The odd thing is that the inode counter in the control panel says your current usage is at 0. Which is clearly not true, because I checked what’s currently on catalog.rf.gd, and there are a lot of files there already.

I would like to remind you that using our hosting for file storage and file sharing is not allowed. You seem to have a large media backup or media store on your account, which is not allowed on free hosting.

Please remove the music libraries from your website, and then try to install your software again.

1 Like

As with what admin said, if you want to keep your music library (or media) just create your own server which then serves it to your site. Apache, WAMP, or XAMPP will be fine.

1 Like

The “music libraries” are part of the catalog, downloadable product items. No point to have a catalog if it has no products available is there ?

If one has to create their own server, what’s the point of having free hosting then ? Might as well also run the catalog web from it as well. The files stored are digital products fro download … one has to have them in place in the correct folder to make the catalog function.

Use it like your own personal CDN (Content Delivery Network), also it can be run on your own computer, thus you pay for the electric bill instead.

The point of free website hosting is to host a website for free. Not hosting any and all things accessible from the internet for free.

You can definitely host your catalog with downloads here. As long as the download files are stored on an actual file sharing services, you can link to those sharing services from your website on our hosting.

Heck, you could probably just use Mega or another free file sharing service for it. It’s a bit of extra effort to cobble the services together, but at least you can do it for free.

3 Likes

Quite so…and I have tried that… That catalog will not create a download link except from its own local download folder and then only if the file name is a certain format…no spaces, and not in any subfolder. The catalog cannot seem to use any external links to files.

Have you looked through the code? Also check the browser console for any errors.

I don’t know why I would have to start editing code or using external servers when:
A. Catalog does install and works exactly as it was designed, download files need to be in the download folder
B. It’s a free site that any web should work on AND with whatever it needs.
C. The host claims to be unlimited but really is not.

The problem is not the catalog code … its that the host does not care to allow the amount of files that make it work. So it’s limited and is NOT unlimited.
Why do you keep putting in your two cents work when you don’t seem to even have any idea what the problem is or what I said.

Please read “You can definitely host your catalog with downloads here. As long as the download files are stored on an actual file sharing services, you can link to those sharing services from your website on our hosting.”
And my reply “That catalog will not create a download link except from its own local download folder”

Why would I want to edit 50 pages of code and figure it out just to use a free unlimited item that should just work in five minutes ? I expect to install the ctalog, upload the products it has and it all works.

If the primary purpose of the software you’re is to upload files to the underlying server for the purpose of file sharing, it’s a file sharing site, which we don’t allow.

What you do next is up to you. You can use different software, try to edit this software or find a different host for the site.

Just note that any service comes with a fair usage policy outside of the main limits. Ours is no exception. We’ve clearly described this limit in the terms of service, in a clearly and human readable way. Which of course you know, since you acknowledged that you read and agreed to the terms when creating your account.

Your website is in violation of our rules. Please remove it or we will remove it for you.

3 Likes

It’s is NOT file sharing … please look at softaculous OSCMAX, it is a product catalog utilizing digital downloadable products for purchase. It’s in the e-commerce section.

I have never seen a host that has a e-comerce catalog available and then does not allow you to put any digital products in the catalog for sale.
No other host I have ever used has this problem with ecommerce.
However … site is gone, files are gone subdomains removed, databases deleted and soon to be … account removed also.

So far this entire project has taken hours and days of time, gigs of data to try and basically nothing offered works. Wordpress times out php, a product catalog cannot have products in it, many sofataculous items simply don’t work or won’t install, and the best advice I get is go edit some code… along with that there is some apparent heavy “ghost” traffic causing php problems whichI have no idea where it originated. If several subdomains are used for trial installations to see what will work, then unlimited suddenly has file limits as well, too many inodes.

I can’t possibly see what use this might be when just editing wordpress for example to set up cabbages everything due to low php, including any and al subdomains.

Last of all in attempts to solve this I am told delete the site or you remove it for me. Fair usage was mentioned, I would think that fair usage would include apps that will install and do work when installed and any normal traffic to set it up or have a few visitors using it would function … I would not expect setup editing is considered very high usage and shuts it off, for example editing several wordpress modules. I have had that happen several times.

For all the time and effort spent here it would have been far cheaper to just pay my normal host for extra space and have what I wanted installed and working weeks ago…

You have a website for the sole purposes of making files available for downloads. That’s a file sharing site, plain and simple. You’re right, it’s also an e-commerce site, but the fact that it support selling the downloads and Softaculous categorizes it as e-commerce, doesn’t mean it’s not a file sharing site.

Just to clarify a few points:

• All we do is give you access to Softaculous. We don’t check all software which is available in Softaculous, to guarantee that they work on free hosting and adhere to the terms. We’ve had plenty of file sharing scripts, chat scripts and other prohibited website types in Softaculous in the past. We’ve removed most of them now, but I don’t know whether the list is completely clean now. In the end, it’s your responsibility to make sure your website follows the rules.
  • We don’t block e-commerce sites, nor have we ever done so. We also don’t block digital download stores, assuming the downloads in question are served from a different storage provider. Please don’t make e-commerce and file sharing sites synonymous with each other, because they definitely aren’t.

With premium hosting costing less than $5 per month, that’s not really a challenge. Premium hosting is actually dirt cheap if you think about it. If you have a serious project, paying a few bucks is definitely a great investment.

2 Likes

My recommendation to you is perhaps go buy a dictionary and read the definition of file sharing then… Your logic makes as much sense as opening the screen door on a submarine to offer the fish an umbrella.

Here are some common definitions…
File sharing is the public or private sharing of computer data or space in a network with various levels of access privilege. File sharing allows a number of people to use the same file or file by some combination of being able to read or view it, write to or modify it, copy it, or print it.File sharing can also mean having an allocated amount of personal file storage in a common file system.
File sharing has been a feature of mainframe and multi-user computer systems for many years. With the advent of the Internet, a file transfer system called the File Transfer Protocol (FTP) has become widely-used. FTP can be used to access (read and possibly write to) files shared among a particular set of users with a password to gain access to files shared from an FTP server site.
Most Web site developers use FTP to upload new or revised Web files to a Web server, and indeed the World Wide Web itself can be thought of as large-scale file sharing in which requested pages or files are constantly being downloaded or copied down to the Web user.Any multi-user operating system will provide some form of file sharing.

E-Commerce, also known as electronic commerce or internet commerce, refers to the buying and selling of goods or services using the internet, and the transfer of money and data to execute these transactions.In electronic commerce, digital goods is a general phrase used to describe any goods that are stored, delivered and used in its electronic format. Digital goods are shipped electronically to the consumer through email or download from the Internet.

Let me see, you are offering public computer space … and public file storage for webs and also free public access to all web pages as well as public access to assorted installation sofware, which is also composed of files …plus FTP access which seems to fit the definition of file sharing quite well, so obviously you are file sharing then also and on a very large scale. Perhaps you need to quit if you follow the same rules you try to impose on me. Not only do you share and make available to anyone all files by softaculous, which anyone can install to a folder and then copy or distrbute … but also you allow anyone to publicly acess, share or copy share any pages or content that any user has ever created which actually is not your property due to copyright by the creator … and offering it free to anyone of the public at any time by operating a free web server system …

E-commerce on the other hand or digital products eCommerce if you prefer, is the process of a person buying a product … then having access to get it by downloading it and only after it is paid for. Totally different than free file sharing available to anyone online or the general public to access … A file has to be shared once to enable them to have possession of it because then they have paid for it and they own it, therefore are entitled to receive it via electronic transaction. I don’t know of anyone that considers e-commerce for digital products to be file sharing as such. It’s a product purchased and delivered by electronic media because there is no other way.
Dropbox, google drive, One drive are all commonly known as file sharing services … not even remotely the same as a eCommerce digital catalog.

Here is the Webster dictionary definition of unlimited:
un·lim·it·ed
adjective: unlimited; not limited or restricted in terms of number, quantity, or extent, without any limits or restrictions,without any qualification or exception.

If you want to get picky …then see this definition :

false advertising: noun
the crime or tort of publishing, broadcasting, or otherwise publicly distributing an advertisement that contains an untrue, misleading, or deceptive representation or statement which was made knowingly or recklessly and with the intent to promote the sale of property, goods, or services to the public.

Example:
Disk Free Unlimited
Disk Quota: Unlimited
Bandwidth: Unlimited
Bandwidth remaining: Unlimited
How strange then to have “too many” files and too much “traffic”.

At the end of the day … I have paid hosts for other projects … and no problems at all - stuff just works and they are a phone call, chat or email away … fixing any problem is five minutes or so … not log in and posting to a forum with tons of messages back and forth laden with excuses and with no actual results. Why would I give you five bucks to just have more of the same as what you do already ? Rather pay someone else ten bucks and it just works.

I’m sorry if my choice of naming may have confused you. I typically use the phrase “no file sharing” as the TL;DR of this section in our terms of service. It’s not the proper legal description. This is the text you agreed to when signing up:

11. USAGE OF DISK SPACE TERMS

InfinityFree offers large web space and bandwidth with hosting accounts. By this, we mean space for legitimate web site content and bandwidth for visitors to view it. All files on a domain must be part of the active website and linked to the site. Sites should not contain any backups, downloads, or other non-web based content. We will treat all password protected archive (e.g. zip and rar) files as unacceptable. Multimedia content such as audio and video is acceptable provided it is streamed to the user, links to HTTP download of this content is not acceptable.

Archives of movie files, audio files, zips, rars or any large volumes of files used for downloading / sharing is not allowed.

Your website, ecommerce service or whatever else you want to call it offers files for downloading, which is in violation of this clause. Hence we do not allow this.

Of course paid hosting is better. Almost all paid web hosting is better than our free hosting in most ways. InfinityFree only beats them on price, which is most important for many people.

If you’re willing to spend some money to get good hosting, then spend the money and get good hosting. Don’t go sign up for free hosting and then complain that it’s worse. Anybody who has ever used free hosting can tell you that it’s worse.

We do our best to provide the best value we can, you should still assume you get what you pay for.

If you would want to give me five bucks, I would tell you to get a Super Premium account at iFastNet instead. Which is really good, paid hosting. And not remotely the same as what we do already. To quote the section from the home page of our website:

Is InfinityFree a demo, trial or sample for premium hosting?

Absolutely not! InfinityFree is fully featured, completely free website hosting. We provide promotional offers for alternative, premium services for people looking for more, but their services are very different. InfinityFree is not a representation of these offers.

Please try to educate yourself instead of making assumptions about what services are and are not. It would save yourself from a lot of disappointment if you would go through the simple step to read product information and rules, and then accuse others of lying and cheating when your unfounded assumptions don’t turn out to be true.

3 Likes

Perhaps you heard of reading the fine print? Do not simply sign something without reading.

1 Like