Ongoing issues with website access and FTP

Following the outage on April 7, there have been (and are) various other service interruptions on the free hosting platform, especially regarding FTP access.

Since Discourse has practical limits on how many topics about issues there are, this topic with be used to collect and cover all of these issues.

I’ll do my best to keep this topic updated with all the known issues. But the situation can change drastically from hour to hour and I can’t always keep up. So the list and information here may not be exhaustive.

April 13 - April 19: FTP and file manager down (421 3900 users (the maximum) are already logged in, sorry)

Since April 13, there have been capacity and load issues on the FTP servers. When trying to connect over FTP, you would see error messages like:

421 3900 users (the maximum) are already logged in, sorry

Since the file manager uses the same FTP service, the file manager could also not connect to accounts.

This issue is being caused by maintenance being performed on the free hosting cluster. Servers were being taken out of the loop, maintained and put back in. These servers being removed and re-added caused a lot of load as data needed to be recovered and distributed through the automated failover and load balancing systems. This additional load caused issues with the FTP service.

At the time of writing, the FTP service seems stable, but it’s possible that there may be intermittent issues in the near future.

UPDATE April 20: I’ve received confirmation from iFastNet that the FTP issues have been resolved on the 19th of April.

April 18: Website IP 185.27.134.252 down due to attack

Since April 18 around 12:00 UTC, the website IP address 185.27.134.252 is frequently being attack and taken down.

If your website is hosted on this IP address, you will see some kind of “Connection Timed Out” error on the website (the exact message varies by browser).

If you’re not sure which IP address your account is hosted on, this is how you can find out.

This IP address will be brought back online as soon as we’re sure the attack is over.

UPDATE: The IP address was restored around 15:20 UTC.

April 15 - April 16: Websites on hosting volume vol5_5 don’t have access to FTP

A small portion of accounts may experience the following error message when trying to connect to FTP.

421 Home directory not available - aborting

Since the file manager uses the same FTP service, the file manager also canonot connect to accounts (and will just show a login page without any message).

This is an issue that affects accounts which are hosted on the Hosting Volume vol5_5. You can check which hosting volume your account is on by checking the Account Details panel in the sidebar of the control panel.

Websites appear to be functioning normally.

UPDATE April 16: The hosting volume was fixed and FTP access has been restored.

April 15: Website IPs 185.27.134.222 and 185.27.134.252 down due to attack

On April 15 from 13:30 UTC to 20:00 UTC, the website IP addresses 185.27.134.222 and 185.27.134.252 were also down due to an attack. See the paragraph about the other attack for information about symptoms and ways to verify them.

April 9 - 12: Website IPs 185.27.134.101 and 185.27.134.226 down due to attack

Following an attack on our platform on the 7th of April, the website IP addresses 185.27.134.101 and 185.27.134.226 are down.

If your website is hosted on one of these IP addresses, you will see some kind of “Connection Timed Out” error on the website (the exact message varies by browser).

If you’re not sure which IP address your account is hosted on, this is how you can find out.

These IP addresses will be brought back online as soon as we’re sure the attack is over. We expect this to be some time tomorrow.

UPDATE : As of April 11 12:00 UTC, the IP address 185.27.134.101 is back online. The IP address 185.27.134.226 is still disabled and will be restored when the attack is over.

UPDATE 2 : As of April 12, the IP address 185.27.134.226 has been brought back online too.

4 Likes

So you DDOSed yourself?

Of course not, why would he?

Sure, if you squint a lot, you could consider any case where a service is unable to handle a regular amount of traffic a “DDoS”, because service quality is impacted by traffic from various sources. But a “DDoS attack” implies that someone attacks your service with the purpose of making it unreachable. And we did not “attack” our own infrastructure and our goal was not to bring down the FTP service.

But to consider any outage to be synonymous with a DDoS attack doesn’t really make sense.

4 Likes

Is it just me or is the ftp again offline?
using monsta ftp

saying: “could not read line from socket”

pls help

nm, solved.

don’t know what it was but thanks i guess
haha

I’m still having FTP upload issues. Uploads are either really slow or timing out and failing. Is there still an FTP issue?

1 Like

I’m still getting this error, I’ve now had issues for about a week.

i still have the issue its been on and off for me for the last 2 weeks but the last 2 days has been a real struggle managed to connect 2 times in an hour but contently on and off also yesterday was running very slow and dropping out, today cant seem to connect at all :confused:

i have this problam

Status: Connection established, waiting for welcome message…
Response: 421 3900 users (the maximum) are already logged in, sorry
Error: Could not connect to server

I am having the same problem too. I cannot access file manager to make important updates. Someone was able to bypass and deface my site. It is fixed temporarily; but I need to update my code so it doesn’t happen again.

yes i cant acces file manger

unplanned maintenance…

Seems like server error, responce when trying to log-in:

Notice: fwrite(): send of 6 bytes failed with errno=32 Broken pipe in /var/www/html/new/application/api/file_sources/connection/mftp_functions.php on line 1032

Fatal error: Uncaught exception 'Exception' with message 'Expected to write 6 bytes but only wrote 0' in /var/www/html/new/application/api/file_sources/connection/mftp_functions.php:1035
Stack trace:
#0 /var/www/html/new/application/api/file_sources/connection/mftp_functions.php(675): _mftp_put_cmd(Object(mftp_conn), 'QUIT')
#1 /var/www/html/new/application/api/file_sources/connection/MFTPConnection.php(80): mftp_disconnect(Object(mftp_conn))
#2 /var/www/html/new/application/api/file_sources/connection/ConnectionBase.php(157): MFTPConnection->handleDisconnect()
#3 /var/www/html/new/application/api/request_processor/RequestDispatcher.php(161): ConnectionBase->disconnect()
#4 /var/www/html/new/application/api/request_processor/RequestMarshaller.php(82): RequestDispatcher->disconnect()
#5 /var/www/html/new/application/api/api.php(60): RequestMarshaller->disconnect()
#6 {main}
  thrown in /var/www/html/new/application/api/file_sources/connection/mftp_functions.php on line 1035

I’m not sure, because it seems to fix itself for a while, then stop working again.

The entire hosting system is having load issues. iFastNet told me as much and my own monitoring shows performance issues on both FTP and websites.

I suspect that some of the 502 Bad Gateway errors some people are seeing may also be related to this.

4 Likes