FTP Errors, Missing Files, and Websites Showing Connection Refused

FTP Errors, Missing Files, and Websites Showing Connection Refused

This topic is to merge the two related current outage topics from here and here.

Starting early November, several servers got overloaded with new accounts, causing a lot of stress on these servers. Because these servers were still using an older HDD-based storage cluster, instead of the newer SSD-based cluster that’s powering most websites nowadays, the storage could not keep up causing a lot of impact to all sites hosted on them.

Trying to patch up the old HDD-based system is not sustainable, so the decision was made to deploy new SSD storage capacity and migrate all accounts to them, which will provide better stability and performance when all of this is done. Unfortunately, migrating hundreds of thousands of accounts from an overloaded storage system is not easy and will take some time.

Which components are affected by this issue

The following hosting volumes and IP addresses are affected by this issue:

• Hosting Volume vol17_1 / Website IP 185.27.134.33 [done].
  • Hosting Volume vol17_2 / Website IP 185.27.134.34 [done].
  • Hosting Volume vol18_1 / Website IP 185.27.134.55 [done].
  • Hosting Volume vol18_2 / Website IP 185.27.134.57 [done].

What issues may you see

On the IP addresses 185.27.134.55 and 185.27.134.57, you may see intermittent outages on your website, often seen as various kinds of Connection Refused errors (e.g. ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED, 502 Bad Gateway, 520 Web Server Returned an Unknown Error).

On the IP addresses 185.27.134.33 and 185.27.134.34, you may see a 404 Not Found error on your website, and an empty file list through FTP and the file manager, or a 421 Home directory not available - aborting error in FTP.

When will this issue be resolved

Unfortunately, migrating hundreds of thousands of accounts from an overloaded storage system is not easy and will take some time.

The migration of vol17_1 is nearly done and the final data should be copied over within the next few days.

After that, the migration of vol17_2 will continue. It’s hard to predict how long this will take, but it could be a week or more.

After this, the remaining hosting volumes will be migrated. Again, it’s unclear how long this will take, but it will take weeks.

What can you do to fix this

Which options you have depends on the current state of the hosting volume of your account.

If your hosting volume is already being migrated, then most likely you won’t have access to your website files. If you have a copy of your own website files, then you can move your domain to a different hosting account and reconstruct the website there. If you aren’t able to reconstruct the files yourself, you have no option but to wait. Your files will appear again automatically.

If your hosting volume is not being migrated yet, then you still have full access to your files, which means you can migrate your website to a new account. Please see this article for details on how to do that.

If you don’t care about migrating your current website, then of course you’re free to remove the domain from your current account, create a new account for the domain and set up your new website there. You can do this regardless

If you don’t mind waiting, then you can just wait for the migration to complete. If you don’t do anything, your website will automatically be restored after some time.

We are aware of the issue and are doing our best to get this resolved as soon as possible.

I completely understand that this may cause confusion and you will have additional questions. I am happy to provide any information I have to help you.

However, to keep the contents of this topic clean, clear and concise, I ask that you carefully read the Outage Communication Rules before posting.

In a nutshell:

• Please keep the posts about the outage in this topic, and all posts not about this outage outside of this topic.
  • Please post relevant questions only that have not been answered yet. It may be compelling to ask obvious questions like “when will this be fixed”, but basic information like that will be put in this message as soon as we know it.
  • Please carefully check the known symptoms and affected components.
    • If you are on the affected components, you are almost certainly affected by the outage. If so, please refrain from simply stating you are affected, it does not help get your service back up faster.
    • If you are not on the affected components but do experience all of the symptoms, please say so below so we can check if our list is incomplete.
    • If you do not experience all listed issues and are not on the components that are known to be affected, the issue you are experiencing is most likely not related to this outage. If so, please create a new topic in the Hosting Support category and describe the issue there.
  • If you say you are affected by the outage, please always include your website URL. I can’t check if you are affected by the outage if you don’t say which of your websites is affected.

Posts that do not follow these rules may be deleted without warning. This is to help ensure that all the relevant information is easily available to everyone reading this topic.

4 Likes

ok I will wait for the download to finish, and good luck

In a previous reply you told me while my directory was empty (migration failed), I could however upload from a backup. However, I’m unable to do that.

When I try and upload a file through FileZilla I get the following error.

Response: 227 Entering Passive Mode (185,27,134,11,230,4)
Command: STOR /index.html
Response: 553 Can’t open that file: Permission denied
Error: Critical file transfer error

It appears there is definitely still something wrong with my account or the server.

WEBSITE IP

HOSTING VOLUME
vol17_1

HOME DIRECTORY
/home/vol17_1/epizy.com/epiz_32840165

CREATION DATE
2022-10-21

You still may have to wait a little.
It is nearly complete, and might take a couple of days to fully complete.

3 Likes

Your account is fine (or as fine as can be given the circumstances)

However, you can only upload files to the htdocs folder of your site, not to the root directory. You should be able to create a directory with name htdocs and upload the file to it.

If that doesn’t work, it’s possible that your account’s files are in read-only mode as they are waiting for the files to be transferred in. If that’s the case, you’ll just have to wait for the migration to complete, or move the domain to a new account.

4 Likes

Just a little update, a few hours ago I was told that all accounts on vol17_1 and vol17_2 have been migrated! All sites on these volumes are now up again, and should be working even better than before!

4 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: My website is down

The migrations of the IP addresses 185.27.134.55 and 185.27.134.57 have been started earlier today!

As with the previous migrations, for the next few days your websites, as well as FTP access, may be partially or completely unavailable. And when connectivity is restored, you may see that your files aren’t there yet.

Rest assured that the migration is still in progress, your files are safe and you’ll have access to them again as soon as they are migrated to the new storage cluster.

3 Likes

This topic is only for hosting volumes and IPs listed in the origin post. Posts regarding other IPs should not be posted here, and will be removed.

Thank you

5 Likes

when the migration will be ready in vol18_2

Please read the first post in this topic:

5 Likes

I just need to put the database configuration in the file manager, for my site to go live. which is by wp-config

The migration of the vol18 servers started a week ago, so while I haven’t received any update from iFastNet, I expect that the migration is nearing the completion. Some of you may see that their files have been restored already, but other accounts may still be in flight.

Please sit tight, your files will be returned to you soon.

3 Likes

It sounds like some people are having trouble accessing the FTP server, seeing ECONNREFUSED errors.

As a reminder: this topic is about the issue described in the first post. If your account is not on the listed hosting volumes or IP addresses, it’s not affected by this migration, which means your issue is not related to it.

If you are experiencing ANY kind of issue and are not on the listed hosting volumes, please create a new topic in Hosting Support and describe the issue there. It’s not related to this migration, which means your posts are off-topic, meaning they will be flagged and deleted without warning.

6 Likes

There is an update regarding the migration of vol18_1 and vol18_2 (185.27.134.55, 185.27.134.57).

A hardware problem was encountered with the new storage as data was being migrated to it. Unfortunately, the consequence is that the hardware needs to be replaced and the migration restarted with the new hardware. Because of this, it may take another week or two for the migration to be completed.

We’re sorry for the inconvenience caused. Please rest assured that we are doing our best to get your websites back up as soon as possible.

5 Likes

Can i change my website’s id???

You can’t change your website’s IP. Also, it’s not the IP address that’s the issue, but the storage that’s hosting your files. And migrating your website to better storage is precisely the thing that we are trying to do.

If you don’t want to wait, then you can do what I wrote in the initial post:

3 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: Err_ssl_protocol_error