Global Sign and SSL2BUY Free SSL


#1

Hi Everyone,
Do u want free ssl from a popular trusted certificate authority then Global Sign is offering free SSL for open source projects and SSL2BUY is offering free SSL for non-profit organisations only.

Here is Global Sign requirements:

Requirements

  1. Must be licensed with a license approved by the Open Source Initiative
  2. Project must be actively maintained
  3. Order must meet all vetting requirements
  4. Follow industry best practices in configuring your SSL and get an “A” when tested with the SSL Checker
  5. Agree to the standard Subscriber Agreement
  6. Not be a site that is also used for commercial purposes
    Note: You must be eligible on the requirements for getting your free SSL

Get your free Global Sign SSL certificate now

SSL2BUY Requirements:

Requirements

  1. You must be an official NON-Profit Organization
    “I don’t know more cause they didn’t announce about their free ssl requirements”
    I don’t know whether if they still give free ssl

How to get Non-Profit SSL from SSL2BUY?
You simply just contact them and tell them you want free SSL and you are a non-profit organization.
They will check you if you are really a non-profit by checking paper stuffs or if you are a member of techsoup, if you lied to them that you are a non-profit then good luck cause idk what will happen, I only ask them if I was eligible

Contact SSL2BUY for your non-profit SSL


#2

@UnknownLolz said:
Hi Everyone,
Do u want free ssl from a popular trusted certificate authority then Global Sign is offering free SSL for open source projects and SSL2BUY is offering free SSL for non-profit organisations only.

Here is Global Sign requirements:
Requirements

  1. Must be licensed with a license approved by the Open Source Initiative
    We must license our website with Open source license or is it only for projects?
  2. Project must be actively maintained
    What do you mean by Actively maintained? If I haven’t written an article for over 1 month it is not eligible?
  3. Order must meet all vetting requirements
  4. Follow industry best practices in configuring your SSL and get an “A” when tested with the SSL Checker
    How are we going to get an A on SSL Check if we have NO SSL!
  5. Agree to the standard Subscriber Agreement
  6. Not be a site that is also used for commercial purposes
    So, it is not eligible for a hosting powered by iFastnet, is it?

#3

@ChrisPAR said:

@UnknownLolz said:
Hi Everyone,
Do u want free ssl from a popular trusted certificate authority then Global Sign is offering free SSL for open source projects and SSL2BUY is offering free SSL for non-profit organisations only.

Here is Global Sign requirements:
Requirements

  1. Must be licensed with a license approved by the Open Source Initiative
    We must license our website with Open source license or is it only for projects?
  2. Project must be actively maintained
    What do you mean by Actively maintained? If I haven’t written an article for over 1 month it is not eligible?
  3. Order must meet all vetting requirements
  4. Follow industry best practices in configuring your SSL and get an “A” when tested with the SSL Checker
    How are we going to get an A on SSL Check if we have NO SSL!
  5. Agree to the standard Subscriber Agreement
  6. Not be a site that is also used for commercial purposes
    So, it is not eligible for a hosting powered by iFastnet, is it?

As what I understand about section 4.
In section 4 it means that when you installed the certificate that they gave you, it must get an A rating when checked on SSLChecker.

In section 6 it means that it will not be used for commercial projects, might include ad stuffs, yes especially if you are a powered by.

In section 5 it refers to this: https://www.globalsign.com/repository/globalsign-subscriber-agreement-digital-certificates-and-services.pdf

As far as what I understand in section 2
In section 2 it means, your project must be maintained and not dead for example you have created a login php system and if you are going to discontinued it or any related stuffs, then your SSL will cease to exist.

In section 1 I think it refers to this:
https://opensource.org and you must be a verified by Open Source Initiative (OSI)


#4

Both SSL providers look useful, but I think it will be hard to qualify for either of them.

GlobalSign’s offer seems to be mostly aimed at open source software developers. So if you’ve built a piece of software and have released it under an open source license (like GPL or MIT), you can get a certificate from them. If you just have a blog or forum, you don’t apply.

Many countries have national registries for charitable organizations, and organizations registered there are the target audience for SSL2Buy’s offer. But qualifying to become an NGO like that sounds even harder to do.

All in all, these offers are good if you can meet their qualifications, but I doubt many people on here will be able to.


#5

Even if we are qualify, then the server would not be able to handle traffic, since application/software are meant to be used/downloaded (remember about daily hit) :trollface:


#6

What do you mean by mentioning the daily hit @Joo_Nath?


#7

@Joo_Nath said:
Even if we are qualify, then the server would not be able to handle traffic, since application/software are meant to be used/downloaded (remember about daily hit) :trollface:

How is that relevant? Many companies provide free services to open source projects. Including GitHub, which allows you to share the code of your software and also upload files you can offer for download. You can even hotlink the files from elsewhere, so I can’t think of any reason why you would share the files from your hosting account.

And if you plan to offer your software as a hosted service, that means:

  • You’d probably need to charge people for the hosted service anyway, which violates the “no commercial service” clause.
  • You’d need proper application hosting, not website hosting, to run it. Which tends to be far more costly than a simple SSL certificate.

#8

Why to use them ??
Just Use Cloudflare it works well!!!
see this HOW TO GET FREE SSL CERTIFICATE?


#9

@Rikhi55 said:
Why to use them ??
Just Use Cloudflare it works well!!!
see this HOW TO GET FREE SSL CERTIFICATE?

Cloudflare doesn’t provide free SSL certificates, they provide a website caching service which happens to include SSL termination. But if you’re not comfortable managing your own DNS records and you think Cloudflare’s caching is just annoying, then being able to install an SSL certificate here is less of a headache.


#10

@Rikhi55 said:
Why to use them ??
Just Use Cloudflare it works well!!!
see this HOW TO GET FREE SSL CERTIFICATE?

It depends on people if they don’t like Cloudflare ssl.
If People don’t like the SSL common name (e.g. yourdomain.com) that is attached on your SSL, and also this looks unprofessional and some people also look it as unprofessional.


#11

@UnknownLolz said:

@Rikhi55 said:
Why to use them ??
Just Use Cloudflare it works well!!!
see this HOW TO GET FREE SSL CERTIFICATE?

It depends on people if they don’t like Cloudflare ssl.
If People don’t like the SSL common name (e.g. yourdomain.com) that is attached on your SSL, and also this looks unprofessional and some people also look it as unprofessional.

You can always use Let’s Encrypt with CloudFlare enabled (even the Manual File Verification works), and after that go to CloudFlare and select Disable Universal SSL, after 1-24 hours it will be disabled and people will see the Let’s Encrypt certificate, which has only your domain written on it.


#12

@ChrisPAR said:

@UnknownLolz said:

@Rikhi55 said:
Why to use them ??
Just Use Cloudflare it works well!!!
see this HOW TO GET FREE SSL CERTIFICATE?

It depends on people if they don’t like Cloudflare ssl.
If People don’t like the SSL common name (e.g. yourdomain.com) that is attached on your SSL, and also this looks unprofessional and some people also look it as unprofessional.

You can always use Let’s Encrypt with CloudFlare enabled (even the Manual File Verification works), and after that go to CloudFlare and select Disable Universal SSL, after 1-24 hours it will be disabled and people will see the Let’s Encrypt certificate, which has only your domain written on it.

Yes I know.
But some people would take it more professional and they want others to like know that they have bought a paid SSL (even though they get it for free example).
And LE is good but more people trust paid SSL.
I didn’t mean that LE won’t encrypt your website or anything, what I mean is that People will more trust your website when they see a paid CA SSL brand


#13

That’s very strict… Why be bullied when you can go to Cloudflare and get it all for free?


#14

@Friendifie-Inc said:
That’s very strict… Why be bullied when you can go to Cloudflare and get it all for free?

What do u mean by be “bullied”


#15

@UnknownLolz said:
What do u mean by be “bullied”
By all the strict requirements and regulations. It’d be an easier process spending 5 minutes on Cloudflare and getting it all with no questions or requirements asked.


#16

@UnknownLolz said:

@ChrisPAR said:

@UnknownLolz said:

@Rikhi55 said:
Why to use them ??
Just Use Cloudflare it works well!!!
see this HOW TO GET FREE SSL CERTIFICATE?

It depends on people if they don’t like Cloudflare ssl.
If People don’t like the SSL common name (e.g. yourdomain.com) that is attached on your SSL, and also this looks unprofessional and some people also look it as unprofessional.

You can always use Let’s Encrypt with CloudFlare enabled (even the Manual File Verification works), and after that go to CloudFlare and select Disable Universal SSL, after 1-24 hours it will be disabled and people will see the Let’s Encrypt certificate, which has only your domain written on it.

Yes I know.
But some people would take it more professional and they want others to like know that they have bought a paid SSL (even though they get it for free example).
And LE is good but more people trust paid SSL.
I didn’t mean that LE won’t encrypt your website or anything, what I mean is that People will more trust your website when they see a paid CA SSL brand

I don’t think anyone really pays attention to who issued the SSL certificate. Most people see the green lock and trust it. There is no difference whatsoever between a Let’s Encrypt certificate and any other domain validated certificate.

If you want more trust, you can go for an Extended Validation certificate, which puts your company name in the address bar. But those certificates are quite expensive.


#17

@Admin said:
I don’t think anyone really pays attention to who issued the SSL certificate. Most people see the green lock and trust it. There is no difference whatsoever between a Let’s Encrypt certificate and any other domain validated certificate.

If you want more trust, you can go for an Extended Validation certificate, which puts your company name in the address bar. But those certificates are quite expensive.
Agreed. Remember they’re Social Media junkies not tech junkies.


#18

@Friendifie-Inc said:
That’s very strict… Why be bullied when you can go to Cloudflare and get it all for free?

exactly !!! that green lock means safety ,no one would be interested to know how you get that ,because there are always strict authorities allowing that!!!


#19

@Rikhi55 said:

@Friendifie-Inc said:
That’s very strict… Why be bullied when you can go to Cloudflare and get it all for free?

exactly !!! that green lock means safety ,no one would be interested to know how you get that ,because there are always strict authorities allowing that!!!

Yes I know.
((I do this everytime okay??))


#20

@UnknownLolz said:

@Rikhi55 said:

@Friendifie-Inc said:
That’s very strict… Why be bullied when you can go to Cloudflare and get it all for free?

exactly !!! that green lock means safety ,no one would be interested to know how you get that ,because there are always strict authorities allowing that!!!

Yes I know.
((I do this everytime okay??))

???