High rate of failed SSL certificates

Since approximately the 20th of February, many SSL certificate requests from the InfinityFree client area have failed.

This appears to have been caused by the introduction of a more strict validation method from Let’s Encrypt, which causes problem with the free hosting nameservers.

We’re hard at work trying to get to the bottom of this issue and reducing the number of failed requests.

There is no reliable workaround at this time, other than to try again later.

Update March 14:

6 Likes

damn, that’s sad

There’s a glitch in “Let’s Encrypt”'s system that caused it to delete many SSL certifications…

3 Likes

You can use https://sslforfree.com/ until the system is fixed…

Not really. sslforfree.com won’t work because of many well documented reasons. Using Cloudflare kind-of works around it, but then you’ve already got Cloudflare SSL, and don’t have this issue either.

2 Likes

It would work if you changed your domain Nameservers to point to your domain provider (like Freenom) and use a DNS check. Then after you’re done, you can change your domain Nameservers back to normal…

Just… hope that it didn’t happen to you

Seeing how the problem is most likely with the free hosting nameservers, you could use the nameservers of your domain provider with our SSL certificates tool.

And if someone has tried that and it didn’t work, can you please say so? Because that would be very useful information for us while we’re still investigating this issue.

2 Likes

Hi,
i tried 3 times to active SSL from " SSL certificate " and it [fail], so i changed the dns nameserver to my domain nameserver and then added the cname and… and then tried to get the SSL and it is [Issued] now
best regurds

4 Likes

Please check your DNS record if it is perfect than request for SSL certificate.
You can also avail SSL certificate in control panel by using cloudflair who is partner of infinity.

A few days ago, a mitigation was implemented which appears to have helped with the number of failed requests. Many SSL requests still fail due to the extremely strict verification requirements from Let’s Encrypt.

Here are some things you can do to help increase the chances your certificate will be issued:

• Make sure you are using ns1.epizy.com and ns2.epizy.com, and NOT the byet.org nameservers. The mitigation has been implemented only on epizy.com.
  • Make sure your CNAME records have been present a few hours before trying to issue the certificate, even if the DNS records check in the client area says your DNS is OK.
  • Ensure your CNAME records remain present on your domain name until the certificate is fully issued. In fact, you can keep the CNAME records on your domain for as long as you’re using our SSL certificates. If you want to renew your SSL certificates in a few months, it helps a lot if your CNAME records are already there.
1 Like

It’s a common issue which is occur you don’t need to worry about it.
Follow my steps use cloudflair which gives you SSL certificate for free in control panel.
Than go for infinity SSL certificate section after DNS record setup request for SSL certificate.
Note it takes for 4 hours do DNS record get propagate okay.

Hey guys I am having a small issue. I have everything set up I think correctly is there any support about the ssl issues that are happening. I have a ssl “verified” and “active” as far as the ssl is concerned but it says that there is an issue with step 3 the status says unable to connect to domain which is weird because I can access the domain and im working on my site now but everything still says not secure any help?

Update when I try to access my site via https it says failed to open on chrome safari and Firefox

The SSL status of your website is mostly an FYI to help you figure out whether you’ve installed the certificate correctly. If the status says it’s not OK, but your website is secure, then you don’t need to worry about anything.

In your case, it appears that the SSL certificate was not installed yet. Please take the SSL certificate that was issued in Step 2 and install it to your hosting account. You should see a link to an article explaining more about it in the certificate detail page.

I’ll also make a note here to update the SSL status checker to accurately reflect if no SSL is installed.

1 Like

I think I found the issue the key didn’t get copied like you had mentioned in the post. I now copied it how long do I wait for the ssl to take effect on the site?

The SSL certificate is installed immediately. As for how long it takes before everyone on your website sees a padlock in their browser, that depends on how long you take to setup HTTPS in your website. The step panels in the client area should explain what you need to do.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 23 minutes. New replies are no longer allowed.