How to get SSL on a custom domain
First of all, it is important to know what a custom domain is.
Here is an example:
Custom Domain: ifastnet.com
Subdomain: ifastnet.epizy.com or ifastnet.rf.gd
Subdomains and added Domains get a self signed certificate which is invalid though. That‘s why you will need to add a SSL Certificate to make your site use https.
The best way to get a SSL Certificate
- Create a InfinityFree account
- When setting up the new account, select “Custom Domain” type in your Domain.
- Once your account is setup, login to the Control Panel. Scroll down until you find Cloudflare.
- Click on Cloudflare, then “Alter Cloudflare” and then “Activate”. This will activate Cloudflare on your account. You will get a E-Mail from Cloudflare with the credentials to login to the Cloudflare Dashboard (dash.cloudflare.com).
- Once you login into the Cloudflare Dashboard, head over to the Tab “Crypto”.
- The first Tile you see will have an option for SSL Certificates. Make sure you select Full and not Flexible. Flexible may break things and may not work. Flexible also only encrypts you to the website and not the website to the server. The Full Option does both.
Important Before you go complaining it isn’t working, you may have to wait a while until the Certificate starts working. MX Records and Subdomains may not work with the Cloudflare integration.
IMPORTANT IF YOU ARE USING WORDPRESS: Before enabling “Always Use HTTPS”, make sure to change the URL from http to https from the http version of the wp-admin and save the changes.
Basically, you’re done now… but… One more thing:
You may want to force all your website traffic over https and not http. You can do this by editing the .htacces file. Though, since you’re using Cloudflare there is an easier option:
You should already by in the Crypto Tab, scroll down until you find “Always Use HTTPS”. Turn that option on done - remember it can take a while to actually work.
Thanks for reading this - hopefully it was helpful. If you have questions, ask below.
(It would be really nice if this forum had a tutorial category @Admin)
P.S If you find a Typo, please do let me know.