How to safely update to WordPress 6.1 (and fix your site if you didn't)

On the 2nd of November, WordPress released a new version of their software: WordPress 6.1.

WordPress provides a built-in updater to help update WordPress to the new versions. But while this method seems easy, the updater may break and result in a corrupted site.

In this post, I will provide some ideas on how to fix your site if this happened, and how to prevent this in the first place.

My site is already broken, what can I do?

If you already tried to update with the automatic updater, it may have corrupted your site already.

To fix this, you can continue with the upgrade by hand. This article describes how to do that:

Update WordPress through Softaculous

If you install WordPress with Softaculous, you can also update WordPress with Softaculous. Using Softaculous is a great way to keep your site updated: it’s easy to use and works very reliably.

As of today (the 5th of November), WordPress 6.1 is available in Softaculous for new installation and updates.

Update WordPress manually

If your WordPress installation is not managed through Softaculous, but you do want to use a method that works reliably, you can attempt a manual WordPress upgrade.

The exact instructions on how to do that can be found in the WordPress documentation: Updating WordPress – Documentation

To replace the file, you’ll need to use an FTP client. If you don’t know how to do that, please see this article: How to upload files with FTP

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.