How to use cloudfare with infinity-free

Hello!

I read from some older posts that the only way to get free ssl certificate is to use cloudfare, is this correct? I tried to use methods like sslforfree or other sites but can’t seem to generate a certificate. I guess from my understanding, I will just change the nameservers to cloudfare and will this be it? I can still use all the features from infinity-free? I guess cloudfare is liked a third party program that encrypts the site

1 Like

I read from some older posts that the only way to get free ssl certificate is to use cloudfare, is this correct?

• no

I tried to use methods like sslforfree or other sites but can’t seem to generate a certificate. I guess from my understanding, I will just change the nameservers to cloudfare and will this be it?

• no

I can still use all the features from infinity-free?

• probably

I guess cloudfare is liked a third party program that encrypts the site

• no

Essentially, cloudfare is a nice way to generate web errors of unfathomable eloquence and overthetopness. The myth goes that someone has actually seen it work, but I doubt it. :horse:

I have tried other way but can’t get a free ssl… I have used a site called comodo but it just wouldn’t let me upload the ssl certificate because I have a free infinity account

You need to download the certificate after that. It should be a ZIP that you can extract and you can have 4 files, one with the domain name in .crt. You need to open with Notepad the certificate with the name of domain, copy the contents, paste them in the Certificate box and click on “Upload Certificate”.
However, don’t listen to what @Xerxes said; CloudFlare just needs you to change the nameservers and that’s it for uploading a CloudFlare certificate. You can still use the features from InfinityFree and for me CloudFlare acts as a DNS manager, SSL issuer and reverse proxy.
CloudFlare is a good way to encrypt the site, but some errors can be fixed by changing the SSL option from “Flexible” to “Full” if it’s automatically set.

2 Likes

thanks but I did try a few times to upload the certificate but it just didn’t do anything after… am I meant to see an install button? It just hangs for a while and not doing anything but I thought that I read somewhere that infinity free hosting does not allow this?

I pressed upload certificate but nothing happened

The SSL option for me it seems that has worked. You need to wait at least 24 hours before you can access the website from https, or use CloudFlare.

Should there be an install button instead? So I should just click on upload the certificate and just wait for 24hours at least? and use the infinity nameservers? If that doesn’t work, then I will use cloudfare? But are you sure that this will work for free hosting? I thought that free hosting does not support this upload certificate but just want to make sure that I can do it here

There will NEVER be an Install button instead. You must click on “Upload Certificate” and the page reloads with the new textarea value of the certificate. Always use InfinityFree nameservers; if that doesn’t work, use CloudFlare ones; but I’m sure that will work on free hosting because the SSL/TLS option is installed on the Panel and handled by iFastNet for free hosts.

I have clicked on the upload certificate but it doesn’t show a new textarea value? Is it meant to take me to another page?

I’ve actually seen it on this screenshot:

The “Upload Certificate” is not meant to be redirecting to another page.

thanks and I hope this will work. So I will just wait until tomorrow or the day after before using cloudfare?

Just wait until tomorrow.

Strictly: no. Non strictly: not entirely.

The dominant free SSL provider is Let’s Encrypt, and Let’s Encrypt doesn’t work with our hosting (yet). Some other SSL providers provide a “free” SSL certificate as well, but that’s often a 3 month trial certificate, which can only be renewed after payment.

Cloudflare doesn’t provide free SSL certificates but they do provide free SSL. They are basically a proxy service which sits before your website and does SSL between , as well as some other nice things like caching. But it is an additional moving part which can break your website if not configured correctly (like @Xerxes said).

You can do this with free hosting. What would be the point of an SSL uploader if you can’t use it to actually upload an SSL certificate?

Did you click the Upload Certificate button, don’t see an error message, and the text you just uploaded is still in the box? That means the certificate upload was successful.

The system will then install the certificate without any further action from your end. Usually, this installation is nearly instant, but can take up to an hour to complete.

If you expect to see a green lock on your website immediately, it’s important to note that:

• Some browsers (notably Google Chrome) cache certificates for a while. You can generally bypass this by checking the website in private browsing mode.
  • Installing an SSL certificate does not make visitors automatically use HTTPS. You can verify your SSL certificate by checking https://{your domain}. If you don’t see a big red warning page, that probably means your SSL certificate is valid.

I am using comodo at the moment and it seems to work but must I paid for the renewal process?

You must pay to renew the Free Trial certificate with a new Sectigo one.

Can’t you just keep using the 90day free trial?

Just when it’s expired you must get another certificate. The 90-day free trial is valid for 90 days; after that the browser will say that the certificate is expired.

I just thought that you can keep getting the 90 days for free?

Only with Let’s Encrypt you can renew the 90-day certificates. With Sectigo Free Trial after 90 days you need to pay for another Sectigo certificate or order another SSL provider’s Free Trial.