I deleted my website to reload ... what now?

Free website … http://kdp.great-site.net/

Was trying to upload small changes to my website when my FTP showed errors. After many attempts I accessed Control Panel and successfully deleted everything in order to re-upload all via Control Panel. It would not allow me.

So now my entire website is not even uploaded anymore and I also still can’t upload via either Control Panel or FTP.

What’s next for me?

Thanks.

It may be due to this. Note that removing your domain will almost never solve the issue. Clearing your cache is a much better solution.

1 Like

My domain wasn’t deleted, just the files. And now I can’t re-upload them either through Control Panel or FTP. Now how would MY cache solve that?

Well you said “deleted everything”, but you did not specify what “everything” is. By “everything”, I thought you meant the files and the domain.
In any case, the link above is still the anwser.

What would you like to be next for you?

Just saying that you’re having trouble uploading files without any details doesn’t really tell us what we can do for you.

So can you please clearly state:

• What do you want to get to now?
  • What have you tried to get there? Where have you gotten stuck?
  • What did you see when things didn’t work? Are there any error messages you can share?
3 Likes

Where do I start if I can’t show you screenshots?
My subdomain kdp.great-site.net exists and my account is “Active”.
I deleted everything that was in the folder /htdocs (where everything was).
My website builder (Mobirise) has an in-built FTP uploader which has ALWAYS worked like a dream, uploading EVERYTHING to the folder /htdocs.
Now, when I try to upload my website with that ftp manager it either just hangs or changes to “error”.
When I try to upload even just one file through your file manager, it just hangs.
Note that my website software allows me to also “upload” to a folder on my PC or to my browser. Both options work like a charm (quickly) and the “website” that appears in my browser is perfect.
The problem is NOT on my side mate. My software and my website files are NOT the problem. My uploaded website on your side and on my computer have never had a problem until you encountered your problem.
There must be a reason why I cannot NOW upload my website either through my software’s ftp manager or through your file manager, and that problem must be on your side.
Is it possible that I’m somehow not logged in if my account says “Active”? Can you please spell out where I can and should check that? Thanks.

1 Like

Perhaps try what I said. The error message is clear, the password is wrong. Sometimes things can get messed up, so just reset the password as I described below, and that should re-sync everything on the server side of things.

I did the exact same thing - Thought there was a virus or something causing my webpage to not load. After deleting just the files on the FTP side, I tried logging back in to re-upload the files and now I can not connect in to the FTP site. I am getting a “Login authentication failed”. Tried several FTP software programs and also tried logging in to the File Utility in the control panel. Get a password error. Tried changing password and get a " Validation error" The password may only contain letters and numbers. -

Are you using the password under “FTP” in the client area? Remember that the FTP and account passwords are different.

This could also be the cause of the partial outage (Liked below):

2 Likes

Yes - all three of my passwords are the same - I can “unhide” the Account Details , the File Manager (FTP) and the MySQL passwords and they are all the same.

Here is a FileZilla log of the error:

Status: Connection established, waiting for welcome message…
Command: USER epiz_29011812
Response: 331 User epiz_29011812 OK. Password required
Command: PASS *************
Response: 530 Login authentication failed
Error: Critical error: Could not connect to server
Status: Connection established, waiting for welcome message…
Response: 220---------- Welcome to Pure-FTPd [privsep] [TLS] ----------
Response: 220-You are user number 302 of 6900 allowed.
Response: 220-Local time is now 13:44. Server port: 21.
Response: 220-This is a private system - No anonymous login
Response: 220 You will be disconnected after 60 seconds of inactivity.
Command: AUTH TLS
Response: 234 AUTH TLS OK.
Trace: TLS Handshake successful
Trace: Protocol: TLS1.2, Key exchange: RSA, Cipher: AES-256-GCM, MAC: AEAD
Command: USER epiz_29011812
Response: 331 User epiz_29011812 OK. Password required
Command: PASS *************
Response: 530 Login authentication failed
Error: Critical error: Could not connect to server

Its connecting, but your password is wrong. Reset the password for this account (NOT your main account) with the “Edit Account” button in the client area. After that, wait 10minutes for it to sync, then try again.

I tried several times to change to my own password and kept getting errors. When I left the password change window blank so it would generate it’s own random password it worked fine.

Thanks for the help!!

2 Likes

Thank you. Changing the password worked a charm. Last question please: now that I have changed the original password to something new, can I now change it again back to the ORIGINAL password? It is just that I would like to retain the original password for good admin purposes. Thanks.

2 Likes

Its worth a shot! I know the API allows it, but Admin may have added some restrictions. I have never done it though. Give it a shot and let me know if it is allowed!

1 Like

You should be able to reuse the same password. In fact, if you use the update password feature to just set the same password to begin with, that should already fix this issue.

2 Likes

@Leopenaws @MasterMark1961

I would just like to take this opportunity to emphasize that sometimes it is necessary to wait 15 minutes while your new password is synchronized with other services before you try to connect via a new password.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.