I/O limit reached - suspended

I just received a message saying my website was suspended because I reached the …

I/O limit

I find this hard to believe and will confirm myself shortly through analytics but was I DDos attacked or something?

Can admins check into this …

my website is dartagnanmagic.com

Thanks

I don’t know if the DDoS attack could cause an I/O limit reached on your account, but I hope it’s not. For my sites hosted in Byet Free Network and its affiliates, like InfinityFree, I didn’t have any problems so far. On the Knowledge Base, I did see only CPU Limits, Entry Process Limits, Inode Limits and so on, but not I/O limits. You need to wait 24 hours and then use your website again (if you want, install caching and use CloudFlare to add protection against DDoS enabling I’m Under Attack! mode and use SSL to your website.

Thanks.

I only have had a small amount of users though there was a spike yesterday. That doesn’t explain why it went down today though.

What do you want to have checked? We keep track of disk and network load of all accounts and take action if the usage gets too high and might cause problems for other users.

The disk IO part specifically causes problem if your website makes a lot of changes to the files on your website. If you did things like installing and removing lots of plugins through your website, that might explain why the IO usage is high. If your website stores it’s data in files rather than the database, that might explain it too.

But all of that is just a guess. We keep track of how much server power your account uses, but don’t record exactly which script on which request causes this load. The amount of server power needed to process such detailed metrics is just too much to be done sustainably.

So you have no answer you just have speculation.

Hard to see how in any way, shape or form a site with an uptick of 4 additional users would cause such problems.

I guess I know what the answer is now.

So it happened again last night.

Do the admins have any sort of insight into what is causing this?

Another I/O problem? what is this EXACTLY?

Very frustrating with so little traffic.

The only insight I can give you is that this is caused by your website having too much read/write interaction with the underlying storage in the last day.

What the limits actually are and how they are calculated is a closely guarded secret, there are only a few people within iFastNet with that knowledge. We want people to stay within the limits or upgrade, not try to skirt the limits and maximize server load without paying. And we can’t keep in-depth metrics about resource usage.

So to answer your question:

what is this EXACTLY?

All I know is that neither of us is allowed to know, and is able to know.

I can imagine this is frustrating, but all I can recommend is to check how your site works and see if it does anything excessive with storage which can be avoided.

When you say anything excessive with storage what do you mean EXACTLY?

Files? Media? Anybody have a guess what this arbitrary I/O stuff could mean.

Going to have to peace out to a more accountable host I guess.

I understand it’s free - but is it really free if they can’t tell you why they’re shutting you down.

Gestapo tactics.

If you Google for “io usage”, you’ll find thousands of articles from many other hosting providers who explain the concept. It’s quite a common system in the world of web hosting, and almost all hosting providers have disk IO limits.

In short, disk IO is the amount of MB per second the scripts of your account are reading and writing from the underlying storage. If you have scripts which continuously read or write many files, or big files, on your account, that would lead to high IO usage.

You might see some benefits from using Cloudflare, or installing a good caching plugin on your website. Both of those options reduce the amount of computation that needs to be done on your website, and might reduce IO usage as well.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.