Is an image conversion website allowed on infinityfree

Just wanted to know if this is allowed. The site asks the user to upload a jpg, png, webp or bmp image, it is converted to whatever format the user wants and is later deleted from the server by a cron job is this allowed or is this a violation of the tos

*cron job

I don’t think it goes against the ToS, but you wouldn’t be able to do pretty much anything because the PHP modules you need to do that are most probably deactivated in the free servers. You don’t have imagemagick or modules like the ones you would need to do that.

Actually the gd lib is enough and it is working pretty good in the free server. Thank you so much for the quick reply though!

I would say it is not allowed because of:

• We don’t allow media uploading and sharing sites to be hosted
  • Scripts on the site must be designed to produce web-based content, and not to use the server as an application server
  • The primary purpose of any script must be to produce a web page
6 Likes

I would love it if the admin replies too

If he doesn’t show up tonight then expect an answer tomorrow probably before 12h CET

Still unclear, as hoping for a quick and affirmative response.

Did you read this? Also, just read the TOS, you’ll have a good answer then. Note that since is a free service, you cannot expect a reply immediately, sometimes it can take a bit.
Thanks.

Yes but none of these seem to definitively say that an image conversion site is not allowed. Firstly, it’s is not a media sharing site at all, secondly, it is not being used to serve as the backend of a mobile or desktop app, and it is producing a webpage only. I don’t see any reason why such a type of site would not be allowed, as it does not overload the servers, in terms of cpu (as image conversion is not too cpu intensive) or storage, as the uploaded images are deleted by a cron job ( not to mention the daily click limit). However, I just wanted to be on the safe side and get some sort of “NOC” from the admin. Thank you all though for taking the time to read and try to help me. And, i do realise that the admin is a busy person, managing a free hosting service as a side job is not easy. Really appreciate it.

I think the answer to your question comes down to opinion. It depends on how you look at the situation; it could be seen as media uploading/sharing because images uploaded by the user are stored on the server, but then you can see it the other way because said images get deleted shortly after.

I don’t see an issue in the sense that it’s using the server as a backend application as at the end of the day, it is still technically producing a website, with a converted image.

Personally, I don’t think there would be that much of an issue, but I would wait on the admin for a definte response.

5 Likes

It must be clear that we cannot evaluate websites individually (the rules should apply to everyone)

of course, if for example… 1 visitor comes and converts three images in one day and that’s all ;
it’s not a problem, but a thousand of them can also come.

And you use server resources to offer some service
and server resources should be available to other websites that need it
(for the same reason chat scripts are also banned)

I don’t think it matters if the pictures were deleted later
because also then someone can say they want to have a video converter but will delete the video later.
And then we need to hire someone to manually check every day to see if you’ve really deleted it ?

You are not generating a website - but instead using server resources to convert other people’s images

Eeven if you are allowed to
you would have a problem because as soon as your site became popular you would get a suspension for too much CPU and anything else that goes into fair use of the service

and that would only make a bad advertisement for you and ruin the reputation you are trying to build

4 Likes

What you’re describing sounds like an image sharing site. Even if the image is deleted after some time, it’s still a sharing site. We don’t allow those.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.