Is it hard to change existing site URL to a custom one?

For example, I currently have the URL “example.rf.gd”, however in the future I would like to get a custom URL and change it to that one.
Is this hard/possible? I also have a Vanilla forum on my website.

Example: change current URL (example.rf.gd) to custom URL that I would buy (example.com).

Thanks.

hello
if you mean some new domain
https://infinityfree.net/support/how-to-use-infinityfree-nameservers/

@OxyDac Already provided instruction on how to add a domain name to your account, but that’s only part of the answer.

The easiest way to change your URL is by adding the domain name as a Parked Domain to your existing domain. That way, your website will be reachable through both your free subdomain and your own domain. If memory serves, then you don’t need to change any other settings to make it work.

yes, but then another one variable appears “google search result”

double and mixed results for both domains
and we have to define which page/domain is the main one
( edit canonical and 301 so the google bot knows what to serve as result )

Oh. I’d rather not have the old URL still be a search result, because the purpose of the .com domain is to look more professional, this would kind of ruin it.

@admin So is it possible to remove the old URL (at least from search engine/results) and only keep the new URL in search engines?

1 Like

@Kamdroid said:
Oh. I’d rather not have the old URL still be a search result, because the purpose of the .com domain is to look more professional, this would kind of ruin it.

@admin So is it possible to remove the old URL (at least from search engine/results) and only keep the new URL in search engines?

Yes, but it’s a bit more involved.

What you could do is add the domain name as an Addon Domain instead. That way, the website on your new domain will be separate from your old one.

After that, you need to move or copy all the files from the folder of your old site (likely the htdocs folder) to the new folder (which should look like new-domain/htdocs/).

After you’ve verified that your website works on your new domain, you can use the Redirects tool in the control panel to redirect your subdomain to your new domain.

@admin I also have files and folders outside of htdocs, probably from the Softalicous app installer etc, is it possible to upload these as well if needed?

@Kamdroid said:
@admin I also have files and folders outside of htdocs, probably from the Softalicous app installer etc, is it possible to upload these as well if needed?

I’m not sure, but I’m sure that your website will not be harmed in any way if you delete them, since your website code cannot access those files anyways.