Is your .com domain down? Check your nameservers!

Do you have a .com domain which is down? Has it been unreachable since the 19 of August?

If so, your nameservers have likely been changed by VeriSign as a result of an outage of the epizy.com domain. If that happened, you will need to fix the nameserver settings of your domain.

How do I know I’m affected?

To check if you are affected by this issue, you can use a DNS lookup tool.

On DigWebInterface, you can enter your domain name in the box on the top left of the screen, and then click the Dig button.

Do you see ns1.epizy.com.namesilo.com in the output? That means your domain is affected by this issue.

Do you not see that text in the output? That means your domain is down because of another reason. If so, please check the knowledge base, and existing forum topics for other explanations. If that doesn’t help, you can also ask for help by creating a new Hosting Support topic.

https://digwebinterface.com/?hostnames=example.com&type=NS&trace=on&ns=resolver&useresolver=1.1.1.1&nameservers=

How do I fix my domain name?

To fix this issue, you need to set your domain’s nameservers back to our nameservers, rather than the broken values they hold now.

You can use ns1.epizy.com and ns2.epizy.com OR ns1.byet.org and ns2.byet.org.

To do this, you will need to login to your domain registrar and change the nameservers there. We have some generic instructions in our knowledge base, but the exact instructions vary depending on which provider you’re using.

Note that your domain registrar’s panel may say that your domain name is already using ns1.epizy.com and ns2.epizy.com. If so, your domain registrar’s panel is wrong. You can use the byet.org nameservers instead to force your domain registrar to update your nameservers.

Finally, remember that changing your domain’s nameservers does not bring your website back up immediately. It can take up to 72 hours for your website to be visible everywhere due to DNS caching. You can read more about this in this knowledge base article.

What caused this issue?

On August 19, the epizy.com domain name went down due to a technical problem at our domain registrar. Our registrar was able to fix our domain, however, it appears to have hit a bug in VeriSign (the central authority of the .com domain extension). This bug has changed the nameservers of all domains which were using ns1-2.epizy.com to ns1-2.epizy.com.namesilo.com.

It’s not normal that domain registrars, domain owners or hosting providers are able to cause changes to the domain names of other people registered with other companies. So this is quite a severe issue with VeriSign. And because of that, we are not able to fix this issue for you.

You can learn more about the epizy.com outage in this topic: Epizy.com unreachable in some places around the world

3 Likes

thx for letting who have .com domain :D

1 Like

Is this only for .com or does it affect all custom domains?

For. .com only

1 Like

VeriSign caused this, so any domain extension not controlled by VeriSign will be unaffected. It’s possible that other VeriSign extensions (like .net) are affected as well, but I have not seen such cases myself yet, so I don’t know for sure.

3 Likes

it happens again? :eyes:

No, nothing changed since last August. However, there is still another topic every few days from someone having this problem. So I re-pinned the topic to keep it visible.

2 Likes

I’ve counted almost 40 o’ those topics till today, IDK If it is hard to fix or they’re ignoring this issue at this time but hope it fixes. :confused:

I’m not sure if VeriSign or any registrar is aware of this issue. I doubt they are.

1 Like

my domain is not reachable - i waited 72hours and whois logs both dns domains:

NS1.EPIZY.COM (has 75,066 domains)
NS1.EPIZY.COM.NAMESILO.COM (has 7,205 domains)

my .com domain is not working although i added the account after the 19th august. shall i try to reset the DNS once more at my registrar?

I checked your domain, and it does not appear to use ns1.epizy.com.namesilo.com. So whatever is causing your domain to be unreachable, it’s probably not the issue described in this topic.

If you’re still having trouble, please create a new topic in the Hosting Support category and describe your issue there.

1 Like