Moving SMF To Vanilla Forums

Hi admin, please I don’t know the process of moving my old SMF forum (with its contents, users and files) to a fresh installation of vanilla forums on the same domain and server (lotsofstory.com)

Do you mind helping with that in you guys panel as I have tried and no result

For starters, you can’t do this from the InfinityFree panel. Moving content from one application to another is a very specific task, so you won’t find it in any hosting control panel (unless maybe the hosting specializes in the specific application).

However, I do know (from our own migration to Vanilla) that Vanilla has tools to migrate content from other forum softwares. You can read more about the porter here: https://docs.vanillaforums.com/developer/importing/

There is no way this could be done for me? I have gone through that and yet, still errors.@Admin

@losmedia said:
There is no way this could be done for me? I have gone through that and yet, still errors.@Admin

Migrating content from different forum packages is way, way too specific and too complex for any web hosting provider to offer as part of a hosting package.

Okay, I get now.
@Admin, I have an addon domain with functional database. Is it possible to move the installations and content on that domain to a diff domain on your server?

I. e moving example.com contents to example.com.ng

@losmedia said:
Okay, I get now.
@Admin, I have an addon domain with functional database. Is it possible to move the installations and content on that domain to a diff domain on your server?

I. e moving example.com contents to example.com.ng

Yes, you can move an installation across domains. You probably need to do two things:

  • You need to move the files from the htdocs directory of the old domain to the htdocs directory of the new domain.
  • You need to update your website URL.

The first step is fairly easy to do with a desktop FTP client. The second step highly depends on the software you’re using, and I have no experience with changing SMF urls myself, so maybe someone else here knows the answer.

How can I do this?
I tried moving some of my current domain contents to its subdomain for testing using softaculous.

It did show only the hompage, but when I click any link on the homepage, it redirects me to my main domain.

So, can you explain from here. Thanks!

@Admin

@losmedia said:

How can I do this?
I tried moving some of my current domain contents to its subdomain for testing using softaculous.

It did show only the hompage, but when I click any link on the homepage, it redirects me to my main domain.

So, can you explain from here. Thanks!

Like I said, it depends. How the website URL is configured in your application? Some scripts configure it through a file, others configure it through the database. I don’t know SMF that well so I don’t know how URLs are configured through it.