Moving WP

Been reading a ton of other support threads and can’t seem to find the answer to this one.

I used the softawhatever WordPress installer and of course, it created a subdirectory /wp/ instead of installing into the root folder.

Incidentally…whats the purpose of this? - seems half the problems are this very problem - why doesn’t it just install into the root folder?

Anyway, so after reading these threads of people who have done the same thing, I see the admins recommend moving the files from the /wp/ subdirectory to the hdocs folder.

Shouldn’t it be moved to the root folder where cpanel and htaccess etc. is?

This is what it says on Moving Wordpress and in several other hosting forums…so it leaves me wondering what the deal is?

Thanks.

@Dartagnan said:
Been reading a ton of other support threads and can’t seem to find the answer to this one.

I used the softawhatever WordPress installer and of course, it created a subdirectory /wp/ instead of installing into the root folder.

Incidentally…whats the purpose of this? - seems half the problems are this very problem - why doesn’t it just install into the root folder?

Anyway, so after reading these threads of people who have done the same thing, I see the admins recommend moving the files from the /wp/ subdirectory to the hdocs folder.

Shouldn’t it be moved to the root folder where cpanel and htaccess etc. is?

This is what it says on Moving Wordpress and in several other hosting forums…so it leaves me wondering what the deal is?

Thanks.

I agree the design decision to install to a subdirectory is weird, but it’s the default chosen by Softaculous and we can’t change that from our end.

You must move any website content to the htdocs folder of the domain you want to show the website on. You cannot upload files to the main directory of your account and any files in that directory cannot be access by your website. The htdocs folder is the folder you should use.

Okay - so I must be misunderstanding the wordpress site I linked - htdocs is the root directory then? Are there any other considerations I need to know that may be incorrect from that link - such as URLs I need to alter?

Also - does that mean I just select all the files in /wp/ and move them to htdocs? Thanks. Seems there’s also unnecessary confusion on what sounds like an easy process.

@Dartagnan said:
Also - does that mean I just select all the files in /wp/ and move them to htdocs? Thanks. Seems there’s also unnecessary confusion on what sounds like an easy process.

Well, it’s not just moving the files. You also need to update the website URL in your Wordpress configuration.

But moving a Wordpress site is well documented and pretty straight forward if you stay calm, pay attention and read carefully. But that’s more easy for some than others :wink:

The reason Softaculous defaults to subdirectories is because a lot of people combine website software, and rather than defaulting to overriding an already existing installation, it’s safer to default to a subdirectory. If this is a new install, I would recommend just reinstalling it all together, rather than trying to move a fresh install…

Yeah but I already put a s— ton of work into the site. So the URLs should be changed to just the domain name and the files moved to htdocs. Seems pretty straightforward,

Well I followed the steps listed in that Move report over at Wordpress and when I went to move to the htdocs folder I got this:

Error 500 - Bridge response error, please check the API docs or this ajax response.

Thoughts?

@Dartagnan said:
Well I followed the steps listed in that Move report over at Wordpress and when I went to move to the htdocs folder I got this:

Error 500 - Bridge response error, please check the API docs or this ajax response.

Thoughts?

Try moving the files with a desktop FTP client. Web based file managers are usually not as stable as desktop clients and the one in the client area especially is still experimental.