New user, can't log in to file manager or FTP

Hi… I just signed up for a free web hosting account, but find that the user name and password I was given isn’t accepted by the online file manager or my FTP client. Reading recent posts, I see there’s been a problem FTP access. Would this explain my problems? I AM able to sign in to the control panel with my login info. Thanks.

Yep if you’re having an issue with the FTP then most likely it’s because of the current issue.
The FTP hasn’t been really stable for a few days now, but the server admins are trying their best to fix it!

4 Likes

As I was guessing. Thanks UL.

1 Like

Just in case, you may want to try the instructions from this article as well:

https://infinityfree.net/support/i-cannot-connect-to-ftp/

1 Like

To Admin: I went over each of the 5 steps in that “Help, I cannot connect to FTP!” info page.

1. I successfully logged directly into the CP with the username and password from the credentials are of the client area. But when I try to access the Online File Manager, a new tab pops up. When the FM page loads it prompts me for the username and password again. The Host and Username are filled in automatically. All fields below are blank. When I paste or type my password and submit, I keep getting the error message, “Error! FTP Authentication failed.” My FTP client fails to connect at that point too.
  2. I have been checking my credentials in the Account area regularly to confirm I’m entering the right login info for both FTP, CP and FM. In the Account area the username and password for Account Details match the FTP Username and FTP Password. Those of course are different than the username & password I used to sign up.
  3. After several failed attempts to get my FTP client to connect, and several more failed attempts to log into the File Manager, I did try changing my password under Edit Account > Hosting Account Password. I can successfully log into the CP with it. But I still get an error tying to log into the File Manager. And my FTP client still fails to connect with the new password.
  4. I have 2 VPN services, though I don’t know if either provides a VPN service for the FT(P) protocol as well as HTTP. With a VPN running, I did test both connecting with my FTP client as well as the online File Manager, and both failed.
  5. So I’m down to the “If none of this works, please don’t hesitate to ask for help on our forums” point. :confused:

They somewhat fixed the issue but still has not completely solved the issue. They’re still working hard to investigate what’s really causing the issue and doing their best to fix the issue.

Update from Admin:

2 Likes

I’m still not able to get either the online File Manger or my FTP software to connect. I’ve checked and re-tested my login credentials several times at this point. Is this still a problem for a lot of other people?

Yes there’s still some people experiencing this issue as well.
I checked the latest update from Admin and the performance should have increased but there are still issues related to “many connections” that aren’t fixed. Sorry about the inconvenience you’ve been experiencing…

I hope it gets fixed soon :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I checked my monitoring and I haven’t seen any connection errors with FileZilla in the last 2 days.

Could you please try to connect with FileZilla and share the debug logs so we can see why exactly FileZilla can’t connect?

https://infinityfree.net/support/how-to-get-filezilla-logs/

1 Like

Thanks. Here’s what the FileZilla debug log reports:

Status: Connection established, waiting for welcome message…
Response: 220---------- Welcome to Pure-FTPd [privsep] [TLS] ----------
Response: 220-You are user number 1334 of 6900 allowed.
Response: 220-Local time is now 05:41. Server port: 21.
Response: 220-This is a private system - No anonymous login
Response: 220 You will be disconnected after 60 seconds of inactivity.
Command: AUTH TLS
Response: 234 AUTH TLS OK.
Trace: TLS Handshake successful
Trace: Protocol: TLS1.2, Key exchange: RSA, Cipher: AES-256-GCM, MAC: AEAD
Command: USER epiz_xxxxxxxx
Response: 421 Timeout - try typing a little faster next time
Error: Could not connect to server
Trace: CFileZillaEnginePrivate::ContinueConnect called without pending Command::connect

I edited my username and substituted the xxxs

Thank you for sharing the logs. They didn’t look at all like what I expected.

I just tried to connect to your account to see if I got the same error, but I saw the following instead:

Status: Connection established, waiting for welcome message…
Response: 220---------- Welcome to Pure-FTPd [privsep] [TLS] ----------
Response: 220-You are user number 1278 of 6900 allowed.
Response: 220-Local time is now 20:45. Server port: 21.
Response: 220-This is a private system - No anonymous login
Response: 220 You will be disconnected after 60 seconds of inactivity.
Command: AUTH TLS
Response: 234 AUTH TLS OK.
Command: USER epiz_xxxxxxxx
Response: 331 User epiz_xxxxxxxx OK. Password required
Command: PASS ************
Response: 421 Home directory not available - aborting
Error: Could not connect to server

This is an error I’ve seen with a few other accounts created around the same in this topic and this topic.

In this post, I wrote some suggestions on how to proceed with this:

1 Like

Okay. That worked. While logged in I deleted my domain, then deactivated my account. Then created a new account and successfully added my old domain there. Both the online File Manager and my FTP client successfully connect now.

But I was not able to create a new account using my main email account that matches my site domain name. I had use an email account I’d really rather not use for this. Is there any way to fully delete my old account so it’s not just deactivated, but completely removed from your database so I can use it to create a new account?

For your own safety, you cannot use an email address on a domain hosted with us to create a free hosting account. That way, if your hosting account breaks for whatever reason, you will still be able to receive emails like important status notifications and password resets to help you restore your domain.

But as soon as you’ve removed the domain from your account, the domain is gone (give or take a few minutes due to caching). No matter what the state of an account is (active, inactive, deleted), a removed domain is removed immediately and permanently.

1 Like

My apologies for not being more specific. I meant that I chose the prefix of my Yahoo email account to be the prefix of my InfinityFree my domain. At this point I haven’t needed an email account hosted here.

It just would have been more convenient to have any notices from this new working InfinityFree/Epizy account come into the Yahoo mail account I used to create the original account that had the FTP problems & never worked. But apparently even if you deactivate a InfinityFree account created with a Yahoo (or non-InfinityFree) mail address, you can’t then use that same email account to create a new working InfinityFree account & free Epizy domain. - Yes?

When you create a new hosting account, the contact email address is set to your client area email. If you want to change the email address later, you’ll have to do so both through the client area and through the hosting control panel (updating one doesn’t update the other).

Once you’ve updated the email address everywhere, you shouldn’t get any more email from us on the old address.

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.