OK to delete extra MX entry?

My website URL is: woodhurstoaks.com

What I’m seeing is: Emails from site not being delivered to forum participants

I’m using this software: MyBB 1.8.22

Additional information: While checking the knowledge base for setting MX records https://infinityfree.net/support/how-to-set-your-mx-record/ it states Delete any MX record for your domain which does not match the one shown in the notification on the Email Accounts/Forwarders screen. Those screens are no longer available in cpanel.

My MX records show two entries, the one for my domain woodhurstoaks.com is mx.epizy.com, the other one for gvski9pb.epizy.com is mx.byetcluster.com.

Can I delete the extra MX record for domain gvski9pb.epizy.com MX Record = mx.byetcluster.com?

Well, if you followed to mx records instructions from the knowledge base.
https://infinityfree.net/support/how-to-set-your-mx-record/

Delete any MX record for your domain which does not match the one shown in the notification on the Email Accounts/Forwarders screen.

I did follow the directions from the knowledge base, I tried ot delete the extra MX record and received the following error message,

A little more research finds this from this link https://infinityfree.net/support/mx-records-cannot-be-altered-on-subdomains/

The MX record byetcluster.com shows as part of the sender of verification/notification emails in the raw message from my site, yet it isn’t supposed to be part of anything concerning emails. Small cut and paste of a raw message follows,

The mail system

[email protected]: host al-ip4-mx-vip1.prodigy.net[144.160.235.143] said: 553
5.3.0 alph775 DNSBL:ATTRBL 521< 185.27.134.28 >_is_blocked.For assistance
forward this error to [email protected] (in reply to MAIL FROM
command)

–8326C3120CBC.1581979377/sendmail.free.byetcluster.com
Content-Description: Delivery report
Content-Type: message/delivery-status

Reporting-MTA: dns; sendmail.free.byetcluster.com
X-Postfix-Queue-ID: 8326C3120CBC
X-Postfix-Sender: rfc822; [email protected]
Arrival-Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2020 01:42:56 +0300 (MSK)

See this topic Email from forum undelivered, return to sender The forum/site email is ONLY being used for registration/reply notification and is being refused by the recipient, returned as not delivered.

Where do you see the MX record? The MX record is mx.byetcluster.com. But the email only contains references to sendmail.free.byetcluster.com. Which is a different subdomain, pointing to different servers.

The domain name byetcluster.com refers to the “ByetHost Free Hosting Cluster”, which is an internal name of the platform we’re using. Hence why you may see us suggest nameservers with the domain byet.org.

But sending emails don’t show MX records. Like you must have read in the article you linked to:

MX records only affect which email service is responsible for receiving email. MX records do not control who can send email for your domain names. Sending email is never affected by the MX records of a domain.

We try to make it as clear as possible that MX records do not affect sending email. Which we try to make clear, because MX records do not affect sending email.

The raw message says quite clearly what the problem is:

[email protected]: host al-ip4-mx-vip1.prodigy.net[144.160.235.143] said: 553
5.3.0 alph775 DNSBL:ATTRBL 521< 185.27.134.28 >_is_blocked

If you Google “DNSBL”, you’ll learn about a method which blocks email providers. Clearly, the sending IP address is blocked. Which is an ongoing issue. This affects all websites on all domains and all accounts. And it’s in no way caused by your MX records.

So, in summary: yes, problems with email sending are an ongoing issue. But like we clearly describe in the support article you linked to, MX records do not affect email sending, and the MX records you’re trying to delete does not affect any email on any of your websites.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.