Ongoing Nameserver Issues

Since the start of April, there have been many small, but frequent outages on the free hosting nameservers.

How can I recognize this issue?

• Domain lookup errors from your browser (e.g. DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN in Google Chrome).
  • Cloudflare shows “Error 1016: Origin DNS error”.

What is causing this issue?

For the entire month, our nameservers have been under consistent DDoS attacks. The IP addresses in question sit behind a DDoS mitigation service, but this traffic filtering service does not filter enough of the traffic to keep the nameservers themselves running well.

When will this be resolved?

iFastNet is working hard to get this resolved. This may mean employing a different DDoS mitigation service which works better, but so far I don’t have information on how or when this will be resolved.

UPDATE May 1st: iFastNet has upgraded the nameservers, which should make them more stable. At the time of writing (may 2nd), no further outages have been recorded on the nameservers.

UPDATE May 4th: It seems that there are still regular outages on the nameservers. I’m going to check with iFastNet what’s causing this, but it doesn’t seem like the fix has fully worked.

UPDATE May 5th: iFastNet has added even more capacity to the nameservers now, which should resolve this issue for the foreseeable future.

What can I do to work around this?

If you are using our nameservers for your domain, you could switch your domain name from the nameservers ns1.epizy.com and ns2.epizy.com to ns1.byet.org, ns2.byet.org, ns3.byet.org, ns4.byet.org and ns5.byet.org. Some of the higher numbered nameservers are more stable, which may help keep your domain accessible while the lower numbered nameservers are down. The change itself should not cause any downtime for your website.

If you’re using third party nameservers like Cloudflare, you can choose to have the nameservers point directly to the IP address of your account, rather than the main domain. You can figure out which IP address to use like so: https://infinityfree.net/support/find-your-ip/