Own domain not pointing to htdocs

Username epiz_27070604

Hello. I created my account (and added content by Joomla) with a subdomain: raulalba.rf.gd wich is working fine.
But I wanted to use my own domain: raulalba.com.es so I made the whole process: point DNS to ns1 and ns2, SSL certificate, etc. and all that process happened normally: I have two domains in my account, with SSL certificates.
But my own domain raulalba.com.es doesn’t point to htdocs directory (as you can see below) so it doesn’t open the site.

Addon domains information is:

raulalba.com.es /home/vol9_6/epizy.com/epiz_27070604/raulalba.com.es
raulalba.rf.gd /home/vol9_6/epizy.com/epiz_27070604/htdocs

I assume that the problem is that raulalba.com.es should point to htdocs if I want it to open the site (and that’s why raulalba.rf.gd is working fine).

The question is: could I change the raulalba.com.es path to /home/vol9_6/epizy.com/epiz_27070604/htdocs to make it work? If yes, how can I do it?
If not, what should I do to make raulalba.com.es open the site?

Thank you very much for your attention.

Your second site has its own folder (aulalba.com.es /home/vol9_6/epizy.com/epiz_27070604/raulalba.com.es), all your files for that website will be under that folder.

2 Likes

Thank you for your answer. But I don’t want a second site, I’d like my domain raulalba.com.es to point to the site I already have at htdocs. In brief: I’d like to use my domain raulalba.com.es for the site I built at raulalba.rf.gd (whose content is at htdocs).

You can go to your domain registrar and set your custom domain to simply redirect to your rf.gd subdomain. To make it even better you can create a cname record pointing to it

Thank you
But isn’t that what I did? I mean: I went to my domain register and sat my custom domain to DNS ns1… and ns2… Isn’t that the right procedure?

If you wish to use that domain as a standard addon domain or redirect through IF than yes, however it is better (at least in my experience) to do that through your registrar or a DNS service with a CNAME record instead. Adding the domain to an account as an addon domain is to make an additional website on your account.

it is better (at least in my experience) to do that through your registrar or a DNS service with a CNAME record instead.

Know any tutorial to do that…?

In that case, what you need to do is Sign up to something like Cloudflare and then point your domain to your original site.

Is it necessary while the site is at the same host (Infinityfree)? The site was built in an account and named raulalba.rf.gd by infinityfree. After that, I pointed DNS of my domain (raulalba.com.es) to that infinityfree site, but It point to another folder, not htdocs (the folder where the site is located), as you can see above. I expected It would be easier…

This is what I have at Addon Domains.

Could this be a solution?: Move the content from /epiz_27070604/htdocs to epiz_27070604/raulalba.com.es/htdocs
Would It work…?

Yes it would

1 Like

The easiest way to do this is to remove the domain from the Addon Domains list and add it as a Parked Domain. With a Parked Domain, you can assign a domain to the same folder as another domain you already have on the account.

Please note that this will delete most other settings on your account, so you’ll probably have to re-upload your SSL certificate (but you don’t need to request a new certificate).

8 Likes

Thank you for your response. I tried the method of moving the content from /epiz_27070604/htdocs to epiz_27070604/raulalba.com.es/htdocs and it worked.
But I’d like to know if the method that you propose (park the domain) is better and worth doing that way instead of doing it like I did (move the content).

To be honest, both methods work, and the difference is down to personal preference.

In both cases your website will be running on the new domain. The key difference is that with the folder move method, the subdomain will be linked to a different folder than your custom domain. Whether that’s good or bad is - again - personal preference.

4 Likes

Thank you very much for your response.
My last question is: since the website is working now (on custom raulalba.com.es in a different folder), can I remove the subdomain raulalba.rf.gd folder? Or delete the subdomain raulalba.rf.gd at vistapanel Addon Domains?

1 Like

You can delete the subdomain if you want. But there is no harm in keeping it, and you can just setup a redirect to point the subdomain to your new custom domain.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.