PHP 8.2 and MariaDB 10.4 upgrades!

iFastNet is doing a round of upgrades to add new features and better security to the free hosting platform!

MariaDB 10.4

MariaDB is the variant of MySQL being used on free hosting. Over the last few weeks, the free hosting database servers have been upgraded from MariaDB 10.3 to MariaDB 10.4.

MariaDB 10.4 contains various performance and security improvements compared to the previous version, and ensures our database servers are safe for the coming time. It also adds a small number of new features that some applications (like Moodle 3.1) may need.

MariaDB 10.4 has already been rolled out to all free hosting database servers.

PHP 8.2

We’re currently rolling out PHP 8.1 for all free hosting accounts. All servers will be upgraded from PHP 7.4 to PHP 8.1 automatically.

PHP 8.1 is a major upgrade from PHP 7.4, containing numerous new syntax features, as well as performance improvements. Having PHP 8.1 also makes it possible to install the latest versions of many CMS, frameworks and libraries, that require at least PHP 8.0/8.1.

PHP 8.1. has been successfully deployed on the first server and is being rolled out to all other servers in the coming week. If all goes to plan, all accounts will be running on PHP 8.1 by the end of this week.

Update 16 September

It’s taken some time, but we’re ready again to begin an upgrade! Many changes have been made to make it possible to roll out PHP 8 on free hosting and to help make sure we can stay up to date in the future.

As part of this, we’ve decided to skip PHP 8.1 and go straight to PHP 8.2, to make sure that we’re switching to a PHP version that will keep us safe for the future.

We’re starting the upgrade by migrating the hosting volumes vol1_7 and vol1_8. Because this is a major system upgrade, the entire server is being rebuilt with new software. This may result in downtime for your site as data is being migrated. We’re sorry for the inconvenience caused, but we hope the updates are worth it.

14 Likes

finished?
done upgrade?

Welcome!

No, I believe there are still servers that have yet to be upgraded, and there are still upgraded servers with missing extensions.

6 Likes

This. There are still some problems with the PHP 8.1 installation regarding some common extensions that are missing. It doesn’t appear that this issue has been fixed yet.

And it makes sense that the rollout has been paused until this issue is fixed.

PHP 8.1 will come to everyone soon. We just want to make sure that when the upgrade is done, that everything will work as intended.

8 Likes

Is there an ETA for the upgrades?

Unfortunately, no. I don’t know what the current status is on the fix for the missing PHP extensions.

3 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: Not been able to access my website

2 posts were split to a new topic: PHP Version

Almost three months has passed.Any updates on the upgrade status?

I just checked. Most issues are solved but there are still a few extensions which are more troublesome to build. It’s still being worked on, but it’s not clear yet when we’ll be able to continue rolling out the PHP upgrades.

9 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: Composer Issue

will it happen in 2023?

I hope so. But the schedule with most of these things is that “it’s done when it’s done”. It could be fixed next week, it could be fixed next year. Nobody knows.

6 Likes

https://metasyncsolution.great-site.net/public/info.php

there is still PHP 7.4 showing .
why php 8.1 is not able to use?

Please read the rest of the topic. Specifically:

8 Likes

@Admin any updates on php8???

1 Like

Please read this entire topic on the 5th post. In short: PHP 8.1 hasn’t come yet, and will be available once all missing extensions are sorted out.

6 Likes

Did you see an update from me? If not, then there is no update.

Nagging me is not going to make this go any faster, it’s out of my hands too.

6 Likes

spectacular customer service skills right there admin :sweat_smile:
4 months to migrate to php :eyes:
Time to bite the bullet and pay for ionos I think