Queries regarding FTP

Hello,

1. I have read in the forums that free accounts are not allowed SFTP, kindly re-confirm the same. If so, is there any way that we can make the Normal FTP connection, using user-pwd combination be made more secure?

2. The server connection is established and the downloads happen, but the connection keeps dropping with the following errors:
    Error: GnuTLS error -110: The TLS connection was non-properly terminated.
    Error: Transfer connection interrupted: ECONNABORTED - Connection aborted

Any suggestions if this is due to a config mistake at my end?

Thanks,
Anand

I was checking the FileZilla forum for the (2) issue. The discussion is mostly back and forth for the server - Discussion topic: It's the server's fault! - FileZilla Forums

Hence is there a real solution to this issue?

@ananda said:
Hello,

1. I have read in the forums that free accounts are not allowed SFTP, kindly re-confirm the same. If so, is there any way that we can make the Normal FTP connection, using user-pwd combination be made more secure?

I think InfinityFree already uses self signed for this.
I’m not sure about this but it looks like you can.
You can use Cloudflare to secure your ftp connection but it will be complicated for you, if you don’t know much about this.

1. The server connection is established and the downloads happen, but the connection keeps dropping with the following errors:
    Error: Transfer connection interrupted: ECONNABORTED - Connection aborted

Any suggestions if this is due to a config mistake at my end?

Thanks,
Anand

It looks like this is cause because you were trying to connect to the FTP server through TLS which might not be supported on the server.

@UnknownLolz said:
It looks like this is cause because you were trying to connect to the FTP server through TLS which might not be supported on the server.

Sure it is TLS, plain FTP is insecure.

SFTP (which is more or less SSH) is not possible here. FTPS is possible, but you’ll want to use the hostname ftpupload.net since that’s the domain the SSL certificate is for.

@Admin
Thanks.

Any insights about the other issues mentioned?

@Admin said:
SFTP (which is more or less SSH) is not possible here. FTPS is possible, but you’ll want to use the hostname ftpupload.net since that’s the domain the SSL certificate is for.

I needed to know is InfinityFree an implicit/explicit FTPS? This is wrt FileZilla config - https://wiki.filezilla-project.org/FTP_over_TLS

Things seem to work fine for a while then the connection/current action is constantly breaking due to this error

**Error: GnuTLS error -110 in gnutls_record_recv: The TLS connection was non-properly terminated.
Error: Could not read from socket: ECONNABORTED - Connection aborted

@ananda said:

@Admin said:

I needed to know is InfinityFree an implicit/explicit FTPS? This is wrt FileZilla config - https://wiki.filezilla-project.org/FTP_over_TLS

Our FTP servers use implicit TLS, not explicit TLS.

@ananda said:
Things seem to work fine for a while then the connection/current action is constantly breaking due to this error

**Error: GnuTLS error -110 in gnutls_record_recv: The TLS connection was non-properly terminated.

That could simply be the inactivity timers kicking in. You should be able to reconnect and continue to navigate your account. It should not interrupt file transfers in progress either.

@ananda said:

That could simply be the inactivity timers kicking in. You should be able to reconnect and continue to navigate your account. It should not interrupt file transfers in progress either.

@Admin

Seems like inactivity issue to me as well. I am increasing the timeout period in my FileZilla client. Will observe for a while. If the issue still persists will reach back.

Thanks

@Admin

After changing the Disconnection on Inactivity to 1 hr, the error has reduced. But it is still occuring. Seems like now the disconnection is happening from the server side.

Is there a way to increment the inactivity time at the server end as well?

@ananda said:
@Admin

After changing the Disconnection on Inactivity to 1 hr, the error has reduced. But it is still occuring. Seems like now the disconnection is happening from the server side.

Is there a way to increment the inactivity time at the server end as well?

I’m sorry, but we set a low inactivity timeout on the server for a reason, and you cannot change the settings of the FTP server. Leaving FTP connections open on the server still uses up a bit of server power. If inactive connections would be left open, that would take server power at the expense of people who are actually trying to make changes to their website’s files.

Please just remember that this issue is caused by the inactivity timers, and disconnecting and reconnecting from your FTP client is enough to keep working.

@Admin

I understand. Thank you for the explaination. It helps to reason with the core of the issue.

@Admin

As much I understand the above mentioned issue, the problem I am facing is downloading a local copy of the theme code. The download once initiated the server constantly keeps disconnecting. Although there is a download is in process which means there is activity happening across the connection.

Infact the same happens even when changing folders with no inactivity at all.

Is there a way to do this better? I am using a regular FTP client tool(FileZilla).

Are the file transfers actually interrupted when your main FTP connection is disconnected? If the transfers are marked as failed, can you retry them?

@Admin

Yes the connection breaks even during basic operations. Yes retrying is the option and it does work after couple of tries. But issue is that if the process is so manual even during basic and simple operations remote working becomes difficult.

Hence was looking for a better solution, if any?

Thanks

@ananda said:
@Admin

Yes the connection breaks even during basic operations. Yes retrying is the option and it does work after couple of tries. But issue is that if the process is so manual even during basic and simple operations remote working becomes difficult.

Hence was looking for a better solution, if any?

Thanks

I’m sorry, but I wanted to know if file transfer are interrupted. So you’ve already added some files to be queued, but the transfers are not completed successfully.

FileZilla opens multiple connections to the FTP server: one for the basic operations (listing files, etc.) and additional connections for file transfers. The server can disconnect the main control connection but leave the file transfer connections intact.

FileZilla does not have any way to automatically detect a closed connection and reconnect on it’s own. FileZilla would only work if we would disable the inactivity timers, but that would cause way more trouble. All FTP servers have timeouts, even though premium services usually have a slightly longer times.

@Admin

I understand. Any suggestions on how to do the download more seamlessly?

@ananda said:
@Admin

I understand. Any suggestions on how to do the download more seamlessly?

Just drag the directory from the right pane to the left pane and let FileZilla do the rest? That should not give you any problems with the timeout.

@Admin

Unfortunately even that gives the same error. See below
Command: MLSD
Error: Transfer connection interrupted: ECONNABORTED - Connection aborted**

Seems like the problem is persistence in every way.