Question about getting suspended

Hello,

My account has been suspended a couple of times for breaking the daily limits when I was developing my site. Now i think I should be done for a while, but sometimes the usage still exceeds my expectations.
I get why these limits are necessary, but with the traffic that my website generates i would not expect to reach the limits. Therefor I think breaking the daily limits is a result of a bug.

I would like to find a permanent solution (preferably locating and solving the bug). In order to do that I wonder:

• Can I get information about which script was running when the limit was exceeded? And if so how?
  • How can I search for the root-cause of the problem based on only “your website exceeded the daily limit for ep warning” or “your website exceeded the daily limit for ep overuse”?
  • How can I determine the number of “entry points” myself (without increasing the problems)?
  • What is the best way to reduce/influence the number of “entry points”?

Kind regards, Nico

• I don’t know you can get informations about which script was running when the limit was exceeded.
  • I don’t know how you can search for the root cause of the problem based on only the parameters you entered.
  • I don’t know how you can determine the number of entry points without increasing the problems.
  • The best way to reduce the number of “entry points” is to install caching on your server using CloudFlare and Autoptimize and enable “I’m Under Attack!” mode.

The way the limits are calculated on free hosting is different than how most providers (with CloudLinux) do it. CloudLinux works with fixed limits, so if at any point in time you need more resources than are allocated to your account, your website will crash until your usage drops.

On free hosting, the average limits are quite low (we need to keep costs down, of course), but they are burstable. So your website can handle usages spikes which go over the regular limit without causing problems, which I think is a very useful feature to have.

The downside of this system is that it makes the limits a lot harder to reason about. Entry processes can be quite hard to reason about already, and these flexible limits makes it a lot worse.

So there is no way to determine “when” the limit was hit, because it calculates daily usage, not burst usage.

Additionally, we don’t keep any detailed records about any of the resource limits. We keep tickers for the usage, but that’s it. The amount of server power needed to record, process and store resources snapshots would be way too costly for free hosting, which is why these detailed statistics are only available on premium hosting.

Was your account suspended as the result of a bug? It’s possible, but it’s impossible to prove that it is or isn’t the case. Most cases where people say it’s a bug, it turned out to be just a misunderstanding of what the limits actually mean.

E.g. “The system is broken because I was suspended but my website didn’t get any visitors!” Yes, but you were working on the website the entire day, adding, removing and changes stuff, all of which generates a lot more server load than any regular visitor would. And your Google Analytics doesn’t show that your polling code is continuously hammering the backend server.

https://infinityfree.net/support/entry-process-limit/

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.