Questions regarding terms and conditions

Username (e.g. epiz_XXX) or Website URL

Currently none

Error Message

No error message

Other Information

Hello,
I was interested in hosting a website using InfinityFree, but I have some question regarding the Terms of Service. The topic of the website is an online course. It will offer a main website accessible by everyone, but it will also contain a locked part (which can only be accessed by students/users who have bought the course) which will contain class materials. My questions are the following:

1. Is it allowed to create a website which will contain a login page with files accessible only by those who have an account? It is not possible to create an account through the webpage, as a payment needs to be done and validated first, which will occur either through a bank transaction or PayPal (a website not hosted by InfinityFree).
  2. Can the “member area” contain some files that can be downloaded and accessed only by the students, classified as course materials, meaning they are part of the course? Those files include:
  • Text Documents
  • Powerpoint presentations
  • Images
  • Markdown Files
  • Links to Google Drive/Youtube (for videos, audio files, and quiz forms)
  1. If any of the above conflicts with a ToS, what is it and how does it conflict with a Term?
    Any help is greately appreciated
    Thank you in advance
  1. Paywalls aren’t disallowed as far as I know.
  2. I don’t see an issue with the member area as long as you don’t use it as a file hosting service.
4 Likes

First of all, thank you for the reply.
The course will contain a file server, but the files are only uploaded by me (the course creator). The students can only view and download them. Is that okay?

Yes, but there’s limitations. You can upload your files to somewhere else, and link it to your website. Because this is web hosting. And files uploaded here, must shown as part of webpage.

5 Likes

So that means that if I create the class material in html and host those in the member area as html pages I will have no problem?

If you show them, then yes.

There is no issue with having a login and signup form, nor including a PayPal or other Bank Transaction as part of your website.

So long as you don’t go over the top with available files, you can host them here. If your planning on having lots and lots of files, then you need to look at alternate file hosting.

2 Likes

As long as the number of files, their sizes and their downloads are reasonable, you won’t have any trouble.

Our terms are primarily intended to ban file hosting (e.g. Dropbox) and file sharing (e.g. WeTransfer) type sites. Those sites can use a ton of disk space and bandwidth without any “normal” website content.

I don’t see any inherent issue with distributing a few files to your students through your website, especially if those files are only accessible for logged in users.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.