Setting up SSL and SMTP

I’m pretty satisfied with infinityfree thus far and plan to upgrade to premium hosting soon, i just want to get everything set up the way i need it first.

I’m running a classifieds website using the free and open source script known as OSCLASS. In order to send emails to clients it requires the use of an smtp server. On the page where i need to enter the server info however i get the following error:

Apache Module mod_ssl is not loaded

I would like some help in setting up SSL and SMTP, as without i cannot send my users verification emails etc. I like the idea of the whole shared hosting thing but it honestly seems alot easier to use a dedicated server / VPS.

@AliceTheCamel said:
I’m pretty satisfied with infinityfree thus far and plan to upgrade to premium hosting soon, i just want to get everything set up the way i need it first.

I’m running a classifieds website using the free and open source script known as OSCLASS. In order to send emails to clients it requires the use of an smtp server. On the page where i need to enter the server info however i get the following error:

I would like some help in setting up SSL and SMTP, as without i cannot send my users verification emails etc. I like the idea of the whole shared hosting thing but it honestly seems alot easier to use a dedicated server / VPS.

Sorry, but free ssl is not provided on free hosting and so do smtp/imap/pop access.

But you can use external email provider to get a free smtp credentials. You can upgrade to premium to get free ssl and you can have smtp/pop/imap access

@AliceTheCamel said:

Both are Free via external providers
For SSL try Cloudflare
For SMTP you can try Google or Yandex.Connect
For Google Below are information
Gmail Free SMTP Server Information
Outgoing Mail (SMTP) Server: smtp.gmail.com.
Use Authentication: Yes.
Use Secure Connection: Yes (this can be TLS or SSL depending on your mail client)
Username: GMail account ([email protected])
Password: GMail password.
Port: 465 or 587.

thanks for the replies. I have already tried using multiple SMTP providers:
-sendpulse
-google
-mailjet

However, none have been successful. I believe this is because they require SSL or TLS and i get the error “Apache Module mod_ssl is not loaded” therefore no SSL, therefore no SMTP.

I have enabled cloudflare however when i use CSR and privatekey that infinity/ifastnet provides to request an SSL certificate it gives me the error “this cert is not for this domain”. I think this may be because cloudflare uses a shared SSL model where they bundle fifty-some clients into one cert.

How is it that scripts like vBulletin and Wordpress can send email to clients without the use of SMTP servers? This is the first time i’ve had to set something up of this nature. Could i not possibly create a plugin or something to send mail the same way wordpress would?

also i should note that i was able to use getacert.com to add an SSL cert to my .rf.gd domain however, in firefox it shows “site not trusted, this person has set up their website incorrectly” i believe this is because there are two blank fields under the “issuer’s credentials” when you open the cert.

I actually only really want to use my domain but for whatever reason the parked domain simply redirects to the rf.gd subdomain. I initially had it as an addon domain however it created a new directory instead of allowing me to specify the already existing htdocs/root folder.

@AliceTheCamel said:
-sendpulse
-google
-mailjet

However, none have been successful. I believe this is because they require SSL or TLS and i get the error “Apache Module mod_ssl is not loaded” therefore no SSL, therefore no SMTP.

not at all, on which script you are using?

I have enabled cloudflare however when i use CSR and privatekey that infinity/ifastnet provides to request an SSL certificate it gives me the error “this cert is not for this domain”. I think this may be because cloudflare uses a shared SSL model where they bundle fifty-some clients into one cert.

You may use Let’s Encrypt Certificate or Cloudflare FULL SSL

How is it that scripts like vBulletin and Wordpress can send email to clients without the use of SMTP servers? This is the first time i’ve had to set something up of this nature. Could i not possibly create a plugin or something to send mail the same way wordpress would?
I Think almost every new script have a capacity of sending mail without SMTP, kindly mention the name or script!

@AliceTheCamel said:
-sendpulse
-google
-mailjet

I tried to follow this discussion and you keep referring to mod_ssl for things which have nothing to do with mod_ssl as far as I know. mod_ssl is a module for the Apache web server which allows you to serve HTTPS requests through Apache.

That module is not installed on our servers because the SSL connection is handled by the NGINX webserver which sits before Apache on our servers.

But setting up SMTP connections from PHP or a PHP-based website depends on the modules available for PHP. The webserver does not affect outgoing connections from PHP to external services, like external websites or SMTP servers.

If your website code checks for Apache modules instead of SSL support in PHP itself, then the issue is with the website code.

@AliceTheCamel said:

You can install multi domain certs here, but the certificate must be issued by a recognized SSL provider. Cloudflare’s Origin Certificates are not from a recognized SSL provider, they are more or less self signed certificates from Cloudflare. So you cannot install them here.

@AliceTheCamel said:

First of all, I would like to stress that the SSL from your visitors to your website and from your website to an external server are completely separated from each other. Cloudflare can help add SSL from your visitors to your website, but Cloudflare does not affect the ability to do SMTP connections from your site. Connections between your site and an external service do not pass through Cloudflare (unless the external service uses Cloudflare as well).

An alternative to using an SMTP server is to use PHP’s built-in mail() function. However, that function is heavily restricted on InfinityFree, so for most email you need to use an external SMTP service anyways.

wow thanks for the long and informative reply, i understand it takes time to respond to these questions