Site not working - forbidden 403

This must be a really stupid question. I am trying to transfer a copy of my wordpress site in order to perform some tests without disrupting the site itself. So I transferred the files under htdocs, export and import the database, made required changes to wp-config.php.
Now when I access enrico-marino.infinityfreeapp.com, I get immediately the
403 forbidden
written in the top left corner of a otherwise blank page, so I assume it is NOT the infinity 403 page In any case, I have no chat stuff, and .htaccess looks ok

It is clear I am missing something basic, and therefore I think the question is stupid. I apologize in advance, but can somebody tell me what I am missing?
Thank you

Website URL

enrico-marino.infinityfreeapp.com

Active Accounts: 1 / 3

Error Message

403 forbidden

Other Information

Hi there :wave:
I believe you didn’t change your site URL in the migrated database. Also, could you verify these for me?

• Missing index page?
  • Incompatible WordPress plugin?

Also, try defaulting the .htaccess file to WordPress defaults.

# BEGIN WordPress

RewriteEngine On
RewriteRule .* - [E=HTTP_AUTHORIZATION:%{HTTP:Authorization}]
RewriteBase /
RewriteRule ^index\.php$ - [L]
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
RewriteRule . /index.php [L]

# END WordPress

Read More here

Thank you fdor your answer. I hope I have understood your quesations:

1. index.php is present
    2).htaccess is exactly as in your answer
  2. incompatible plugins… well, if that was the case, I would have problems also in the original installation

How do I change the url? Should I add a define statement in wp-config.php, like
define ( ‘WP_SITEURL’, ‘http://…’)
and/or
define (‘WP_HOME’, ‘…’) ?
In this case, what should I put in?
Sorry for the naive questions. Thanks again

1 Like

It is supposed to be edited in the database.

You’re right…otherwise, you would have seen this

403 is generated by your website for any request

Do you have a protection plugin that reacts to everything?

try renaming the plugin folder to Xplugin via FTP
and with that, you disable any plugin and see if there are any changes

also
copy the .htaccess file and hide it somewhere and then delete the original to see if it will throw out 403 again
do not remove the dot in the name (.htaccess) because anyone could see the contents of that file

TEST by pressing CTRL + F5 (always) while looking at your website

2 Likes

Again I hope I understood correctly.
Renaming plugins directory to xxplugins: no effect
removing .htaccess : no effect

Sorry, I do not understand what you mean by pressing ctrl+f5 while looking at my website.

I gave the wrong info (sorry my fault) -The message is not 403 forbidden, but 403 access denied. Maybe it makes a difference.

URL should be “edited in the database”? I know that I have to"search and replace" the references in the database, but first I have to access the site dashboard and use, for example, a proper plugin;this is what I did when I installed my site under xampp locally. Maybe I should stick to xampp.

Sorry Oxy, I mistakenly deleted your mails. From what I remember, I already deleted and reinstalled everything at least four times without any change, so I doubt that reloading again can have effect.
One question: Wordpress has a directory called WP_INCLUDES: I understand that INCLUDES is forbidden in infinity, but this has nothing to do with the problem, has it?
Note that before trying infinity I managed to transfer my site under XAMPP without problems, so the site itself should be ok.

The forum sends you to your email what I send you here as a private message
so you can always read the PM on the forum.
and you have everything in it

Did you remove the subdomain from the system and create it again as I stated in the instructions?

you’re right - it doesn’t matter and it’s not a problem

I told you in a PM what I think is the problem (looks like something has gone crazy in the system)

I forgot to tell you that I also looked at what you have in the DB through PHPMyAdmin
and you have this address everywhere

but that’s unimportant now
because I had renamed .htaccess from WP as well as index and some other things so that I completely bypassed WP - but the server shows 403 again…

if you did everything from the PM
and you see 403 again
then you will have to be patient and wait for the admin to check

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.