[SOLVED] Rf.gd domain name is down

Since some time ago (presumably after) 17:00 UTC on August 10, the domain name rf.gd went down.

Subdomains of rf.gd are unreachable

With rf.gd itself being unreachable, all free subdomains of rf.gd are unreachable as well. There is sadly no workaround for this.

If you do need your website to be reachable urgently, you can of course create an additional subdomain for your hosting using another domain name. You can do so through the Subdomains section in your control panel.

Effects on custom domains

While custom domains (like example.com ) are not part of rf.gd, custom domain name owners may still experience difficulty in one of the following ways.

Nameservers no longer respond

If you use ns1.rf.gd and ns2.rf.gd as your nameservers, your custom domain will not be reachable.

To fix this, you can change the nameservers at your domain registrar from ns1.rf.gd and ns2.rf.gd to ns1.epizy.com and ns2.epizy.com. These addresses point to the same nameservers and will respond with the right DNS settings.

MySQL database hostname is unreachable

If your website is using a database hostname like sqlXXX.rf.gd , this domain name may not work anymore either. You can work around this by changing your website’s database configuration to use sqlXXX.epizy.com instead.

What caused this issue?

We suspect that the domain name was taken down by the .gd registry following an abuse complaint. However, we have not received any information from either our registrar or the .gd registry yet about this.

When will this issue be resolved?

We’re trying to get in touch with the registry and registrar to get more information about the current status of the domain, and if and when the domain can be restored.

UPDATE: As of August 12 16:00 UTC, the domain name rf.gd was restored by the registry! The domain name is active once again, and all sites should be coming back online soon.

Please note that due to DNS caching, it can still take up to 48 hours for every website to be visible again for everyone.

13 Likes

Happens to the best, it happened to biz.nf who had co.nf, and they lost it for ever, with no notice, and the dotNF suspended it, then resaled it :pensive:

8 Likes

Still happening :slight_smile:

Good night @admin.

Is there a problem with having the same name but with another subdomain and the same content? I mean, moving all the content I had on the web with rf.gd to epizy.com. I’m asking in case I’m abusing it or something.

A greeting!

3 Likes

Hi, I’m here, so Ill answer (cos Im bored) but generally, hosting companys get abuse complaints from people, it’s just what happens, and im sure it would be fine!

@Admin I found a bit of info!

Who is key-systems.net?

I don’t think that thats an abuse report.

3 Likes

hi, how can i change the subdomain name?

Thank you for information!

Interesting…

This is what happens when I try to get the domain

2 Likes

Wait… (Another Domain Lookup by ICANN)

In ICANN lookup says:

Domain Status:
serverHold

serverHold means :
This status code is set by your domain's Registry Operator. Your domain is not activated in the DNS.
Source : EPP Status Codes | What Do They Mean, and Why Should I Know? - ICANN

2 Likes

Well, the interesting part is, I checked whois yesterday, and it said that the domain name is not registered

But domain provider says the domain already taken

Hmm..

Interesting…

2 Likes

Yeah, The not active in DNS, means as it says, It means the domain, basically doesn’t exist.

2 Likes

Is there a quick way to change the domain from *.rf.gd to say *.epizy.com or one of the others to keep sites up?

3 Likes

Thank you for everything you guys have done for us, Infinityfree. I’m wishing you speedy recovery on this issue–I miss my rf.gd website; looking forward to its return.

6 Likes

You can use parked domain :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

You can add another subdomain (e.g. test.epizy.com) and then copy the content using file manager from your rf.gd subdomain to your new epizy.com subdomain.

I hope that this helps

3 Likes

Hi…

can someone help me how to " change the nameservers at your domain registrar from ns1.rf.gd and ns2.rf.gd to ns1.epizy.com 5 and ns2.epizy.com" ?

And " changing your website’s database configuration to use sqlXXX.epizy.com " ?

Regards,

4 Likes

Hey @kirit0 ,

Either send me a Personal Message or create a new topic for this :slight_smile:

3 Likes