Ssl

Ignore it for now

If you are using WordPress, perhaps you should read this first

Not advisable to use backup plugin on free hosting

5 Likes

On top of your existing website. So that’s the htdocs folder.

No. Please read the article I linked to. It tells you what you should do, and it doesn’t say to do any of those things.

Don’t create a new account, a new database or restore any backups. You can create a backup if you want just to be sure, but if you follow the guide I linked to correctly, you won’t need it.

6 Likes

Right, sorry, I read before the wp guideline lin.
Still questions anyway: where should I find the WordPress code and is reffered to my website nature-balance.great-site.net or to the fresh WordPress downloaded file, and when I find it what should I do? Just click “overwrite” in the windows should open asking “what you want do with it?”
Thanks

Please carefully read my post and the article.

Original source code is on wordpress.org, your website code is in the htdocs folder, and you need to overwrite everything (if you’re not overwriting files, you’re not uploading the right files to the right location).

3 Likes

I looked the articles, and l looked x the code in httdoc, I couldn’t find it, what’s the name, sorry? And still do l need the source code or my website code ?

Do you mean this?

If so, read this article

Answer is actually here

You need to write more clearly. I really had a hard time trying to understand you

6 Likes

If you looked inside the code, it means you did not follow the guide.

Once again: this is what you need to do:

I don’t know what else I can tell you. None of the things you’re saying make sense in the context of that guide, so the only thing I can conclude is that you’re not following the guide.

4 Likes

Ok ARTICLE: title:
“Upload the WordPress code TO your website”

text:
“After finding the WordPress code OF your website, you need to find the…”

THESE ARE THE CLEAR INSTRUCTIONS OF THE ARTICLES… !! NOTE that THE TITLE says UPLOAD THE WORDPRESS CODE (1° code) TO YOUR WEBSITE… And the article says : after finding THE WORDPRESS CODE OF YOUR WEBSITE (!!! 2° code???

And what is not clear in this question?

"where should I find the WordPress code and is reffered to my website [nature-balance.great-site.net] or to the fresh WordPress downloaded file, and when I find it what should I do?

Just click “overwrite” in the windows should open asking “what you want do with it?”
This is practically literally a phrase of the article…

And here? I wrote:

“and l looked x the code in httdoc, I couldn’t find it, what’s the name, sorry?”

You wrote:
“If you looked inside the code, it means you did not follow the guide.”

I looked inside the code??? Where l wrote this???

I looked inside httdoc, between tens of files and folders and l have not seen a website code file, OK???

Are you playing or what??
I spent more than 1 months trying to fix issues not created by me… Reading staff , articles… I have not all this time to fix your issues!! If an update break a web write to be carefull instead of pushing people to update, if there’ s something not clear in the articles l ask, cause they are not clear if you consider the thousand options making lot of details different in each case…

“The WordPress code of your website” = the WordPress installation files that should be located in the htdocs directory of your website.

Go to that folder (htdocs, as described in the article), and while having opened (either in file explorer or Filezilla/FTP client’s explorer) the wordpress directory you downloaded from wordpress.org, drag the contents of that (wordpress) folder to the htdocs folder of your site. When asked to overwrite, select yes.

6 Likes

Well @nature5, it will easier if you just quote where you are stuck. We are simply here to help you.
For example, instead of

If you do this

and just explain where you are stuck. It will also be easier to help you

4 Likes

I have no idea what I can tell you that will make it clear to you.

Download zip, extract zip, upload contents of zip to htdocs folder. That’s it. It’s really simple.

Based on this answer, I’m beginning to suspect that there is one very important bit of terminology we may be misaligned on.

Every file with a PHP, HTML, CSS or JS extension is a “code file”.

When we say “code”, we mean “programming code”. Programming code provides computer instructions that are executed by the server, which provide the functionality of your website. Programming code is stored as text data in files, which is written in a programming languages (like PHP).

Everything in the WordPress zip file is “code” and most files on your hosting accounts are “code” as well. Those tens of files and folders you looked through? They are all website code.

It’s not like an “access code” or license key or a single piece of data found somewhere in your website.

Does this bit of information help you make sense of the article?

6 Likes

OK thanks everyone assisting here, first,… I wouldn’t anyone loose time and finish nervous… I know the base of informatic programs and files are code looking visual different things,
and I’ ve seen are all files encoded…

This is the answer to my question :“The WordPress code of your website” = the WordPress installation files that should be located in the htdocs directory of your website."
Thanks…
It’s misleading the article, looks you have to find a specific code… It’ s all codes… Why they should underline that you need the code website… Well… I was not understanding…

Thanks
So the article means just to overwrite the fresh wpzip unzipped on httdoc… Wow…

By

1 Like

My assumption was that it’s clear that “website code” and “website files” are the same thing. Apparently, that’s not clear enough.

It’s an unfortunate pitfall if you’re writing an article as an expert. It’s sometimes hard to imagine what people earlier in the learning process know already and don’t yet know.

I’ve rewritten the article a bit so it doesn’t use the word “code” anymore, in case anyone else shares your confusion.

Yep! It’s really that simple!

7 Likes

Wow… OK l do it… Thanks, really kind, probably happens a lot what you say…

I don’t recall anyone else having reported this issue with the topic as well. But you never know how many people didn’t understand the article but didn’t bother to ask about it either.

4 Likes

Listen, I tryed to do it, monsta ftp doesn’t upload folders with my browser, zip to unxipe stop halpf way, so l 've found filezilla for android, the set up I’d different from the instructions l read, it’s like these screenshot

Homepage , and clicking on “new”: looks like this:

How to set it, please? Name and address…?

Don’t upload a zip file. Extract the zip on your computer, then upload the resulting files. If you don’t want to use the online file manager, try FileZilla.

I have never used a mobile app for FTP, and quite frankly, I don’t think it’s a good idea.

4 Likes

Yes l know… But is what I have…
I should use another browser too… Cause these don’t support uploading folders…