Temporary Suspensions

Hypothetically, yes, it would be easier for us to transfer the site between the accounts within our cluster. iFastNet also has tools already to move sites from free hosting to premium hosting, which is harder to do that moving it between free accounts.

It just requires the tooling to be built. But the tooling has not been built, meaning we have no way to do it practically.

5 Likes

Hi Admin, thanks for taking time to reply.

Ah I see, well lest hope it is built soon, as bthe sites will probably be ending up on the same server, we will look at getting on with it, thanks for all your help, much apprecaited.

Paul

Hi, no, not at this time, I have some of the organisations sites on my own account, and I am in the process of setting up a free hosting account for the organisation thanks to Admin for permission, as my account is close to limits and is triggering suspensions which I think can be avoided…

Feel free to hope it, but I honestly don’t expect this be be available within the next few years.

How such a tool could work was mostly a thought exercise. My practical advice remains the same: you should move the sites by hand.

2 Likes

To me, it is simple, people give you their usernames of the two accounts, and the sites they want moving, and admins find the files, and move them… Is any tool necessary, I am not so sure it is, somebody give an admin the two usernames, and they could search for the files, and move them… That is how I see it anyway, I am literally expected to takle files off your server to mine, for the purpose of putting them back on there… We will create the account and make a start over the next few weeks…

Is it possible? Yes, in theory. But what you’re asking means that a systems administrator needs to move accounts by hand. Do you have any idea what the labor costs of a systems administrator are? And how much time it would cost them to manually unlink the domain from the old account, add the domain to the new account, move the files to the new server, find the databases being used, move the databases and update the configuration? It can easily take half an hour to do.

At least millions of websites are hosted on the platform, if a tiny percentage of people request some of those sites to be moved, that could easily result in multiple systems administrators doing nothing but moving sites. And then it quickly becomes

Another complication is that it’s much easier to move accounts than it is to move individual websites. When moving an entire account, from free to premium hosting, iFastNet can just move all the files, databases, settings and so on and drop them on a premium account. Some things within an account, most notably databases, are not tied to a specific website. So when you need to move a website, you need to check very carefully which databases to move.

You know your website, you know what runs on it so you are in a good position to know or figure out which databases are being used. A systems administrator doesn’t have that information.

And do you really believe it makes any sort of sense to spend valuable talent on moving sites for users who don’t pay us anything just so they can use more server power for free by spreading the load over multiple sites?

If you believe your time is worth that amount of money, maybe you could consider using some of that money to buy a premium account and have iFastNet move all your sites onto that?

4 Likes

Hi Admin, thanks for taking the time to reply.

Ah I see, the service I am asking for is available on premium hosting and not on free. That is what I thought… It is a shame it is not available for everybody, and hopefully you guys will roll it out for everybody soon, as me having to take time to take files off, only to put them on again, seems a rather long winded way of doing things. I feel that all of this work could just be cut out, and you guys move the files, but I do understand that there has to be a limit to what you guys can do, as you are here to make money. We will hopefully find the time to start to migrate some of our sites soon.

Best Wishes,

Paul

1 Like

Actually, it isn’t. The premium migration scripts move the entire account, not a single website on the account. Moving a single website to another account is quite a bit more involved.

Never say never, but I wouldn’t hold my breath.

A few reasons why it probably won’t happen:

• Moving a single site from one account to another is a very different from moving an entire account from one platform to another. iFastNet has scripts for the latter, not for the former.
  • iFastNet offers free migration for anyone who purchases a premium hosting account. Since many of these people come from their own free hosting platform, it makes a lot of sense for themselves to automate this, because it just saves iFastNet a lot of time in the long run. For free hosting, there is no such incentive. Quite to contrary even: from a purely commercial aspect we would rather have you move the entire account to premium hosting than move sites around to perfectly balance the load across three accounts.
6 Likes

Hello Admin, thanks for taking the time to reply…

to me, a script just is not needed, it is easy for me to locate the files on FileZilla and move them via FTP, from your server to my hard drive, just to put them back again, i cannot see why the same process just cannot be done by you guys on your own servers. I accept that it isn’t going to happen and we have to go through the process of taking them off, putting them back on ours, and then just putting them back where they were in a different place, I feel there is no need for us to get involved, we should just be able to tell you the account number and site, and thery be moved for us… Is it is a shame that you guys do not seem to offer that service, and hopefully you will soon. We are making plans to move the sites from my personal to the organisational account in due course, and thanks again for the clarification…

Best Wishes,

Paul

The Admin just told you why they don’t. Is it easy? Sounds like it would be, once. But when multiple people are doing it? Not anymore. Easy things become difficult on large scales, and also they’d have to hire someone to do it. Considering that Infinity Free is a free service and your account moving is just a method to avoid free limits, it wouldn’t make any sense for them to offer such a service. They’d rather have you upgrade to premium hosting.

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.