Testing

This is just a test, to see if Iogging out and logging back in again, will restore my access to the forum with my original forum username. I have provided the same email address in the login as I used for my first thread AND my second, which required me to provide a new forum username. If this post works and it appears under my original username, Moongazer, then I can dispense with the second one (Moongazer1) I was forced to supply for my second thread, which was about the forced doubling up of forum usernames.

1 Like

Okay, the above worked. This is just guesswork, but it seems to me that the problem was solved by logging into my hosting account first. Although I logged out a minute later, it creates a browser cookie that persists after logging out. When I then logged into the forum, it remembered my original forum username. It might be useful to document somewhere that if you want to use the forum without a screw-up like the one that happened to me, first login to your hosting account. I don’t recall seeing that mentioned anywhere, except in Admin’s reply to my post under the username Moongazer1. I wonder what happens if you use a browser that blocks or autodeletes cookies.

Um, the forum and the client area use the same database, so it’s impossible to have different accounts with each.

I find this very confusing. I am trying to understand what happened. I have just noticed in what I think is called the ‘client area’ (a page headed “Hosting Accounts”) that there is a table headed ‘Your Accounts.’ In that table only one account username is shown and its status is active, and below that it says, “Active Accounts: 1 / 3,” but I don’t know how to interpret that. Does it mean that:

(a) I have 1 account out of a possible maximum of 3 that I am allowed to create, or
(b) I have three accounts, of which only one is active, or
(c) the account name shown above it is one of three active accounts?

If I indeed have three accounts, then the other two were created inadvertently, and with the same email address I am using currently. Also, I can’t see them.

I have just now tried one other possibility: I had an older account (created in April) with a different email address, which was deleted in June for inactivity. I did not expect to be able to login to a deleted account, but I tried to just now with my old credentials and, to my surprise it let me in, but it said that I had no accounts created yet, and in the table headed Your Accounts, it said “Active Accounts: 0 / 3.”

I now think that when I tried posting in the forums yesterday, my browser remembered the old login for the deleted account, and without me noticing, it logged me into the forum with the older email address (which differs from the current one by only one character). It is that older account, which now has the forum name Moongazer1 associated with it.

So that explains why I was asked to provide a different forum username. But if so, then under my current login, where it says in the table headed Your Accounts, “Active Accounts: 1 / 3,” that must mean that I have only one hosting account out of a possible maximum of three that I am allowed to create. I hope that is correct. (Why I would need or want to create two more, is not clear to me, but I guess I will find out one day.)

That is correct.

So only hosting accounts are deleted, the account your create with your email address (Main Account/Client Area Account) is never deleted (That I know of). You must have created a hosting account on the old account, and never touched it, so it was deleted.

You can create 3 hosting accounts on one email, and it is ageist the TOS to use more than one email address (As then you are allowed 6 accounts if you do so, as each email address gets you 3 hosting accounts).

Probably. That old account was probably never logged out, so it logged into the forum as that account. You created a username (Moongazer) then logged out. When you logged back in, you used a different account (The new one), so you had to create a new username.

Let me know with any questions!

Thank you @Greenreader9. I acknowledge (again) that it was me who screwed up (not the forum management software.) So, when you log in at the main login page (Login to your account - InfinityFree), that logs you into the client area, but that’s not the same as your hosting account. The distinction between the two was blurred for me earlier, because I can go to cPanel from the client area without having to fill in a second login form to get into my hosting account (though perhaps that wouldn’t be the case if I had more than one hosting account on this login.) So this experience and your replies have at least taught me more about how things work here.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.