The end of Grendel Hosting

Grendel Hosting has been in a very poor state for months now. FTP being unavailable, website uptime being very low (with errors like Service Temporarily Unavailable and blank pages). In the last few weeks, new registrations, new accounts and password resets all broke down as well. Our main supplier in the mean time seem to have disappeared, creating uncertainty as to if these problems will ever be fixed.

That is why we have decided to shut down Grendel Hosting.

What does this mean for new users?

New users can enjoy fast, reliable and unlimited hosting here on InfinityFree.net. You will get to enjoy features which were never available at Grendel Hosting, like a modern auto installer, SSL support and much more relaxed fair usage restrictions.

What does this mean for existing Grendel Free users?

For now, your websites will continue to work and you can still manage your website on cpanel.grendelhosting.com. We will tr y to keep all websites online until March 15 and control panel access available until April 1. However, it will no longer be possible to create new accounts, we will no longer reactivate suspended accounts and support will no longer be available. That’s why we would like to recommend everyone to upgrade their accounts to Grendel Premium or InfinityFree as soon as possible.

What does this mean for Grendel Premium users and domain owners?

Grendel Premium and domain registrations are unaffected by this. Your services will continue to work uninterrupted and we don’t plan to change this any time soon. You can still manage your services on grendelhosting.com/portal/. These services will be deployed under their own brand name in the near future, but your domain names and websites will not be affected by this.

If you have any questions about what this means for you…

Please ask your question in a reply to this topic, we’ll be happy to clear up any confusion and make this migration as easy as possible.

So. Are you going to continue forum post rewards program? Will my domain that i got from Grendelhosting forum post contest still be working? Also maybe you could transfer post count from old grendelhosting forum to this, new forum? I hope that you’re goin to continue forum post rewards program on this hosting too. I also hope to see new awards for forum posts!

This is the beginning of a brand new future. Grendel served us well but it had lots of issues. Can’t wait to see how this turns out!

So. Are you going to continue forum post rewards program? Will my domain that i got from Grendelhosting forum post contest still be working? Also maybe you could transfer post count from old grendelhosting forum to this, new forum? I hope that you’re goin to continue forum post rewards program on this hosting too. I also hope to see new awards for forum posts!

Existing rewards will continue to work at least until their renewal date. For things like forum rewards, we’ll get a definitive plan in the coming few weeks (everything is a bit hectic here right now around the migration).

Right yeah, this makes sense.
I was starting to fall out with grendel and move to other hosts, but I guess now I can use infinityfree instead :smiley: (That smilie creeps me out o.0)

Is there a good guide on how to migrate my existing Grendel websites to infinityfree with all their databases intact? Also can I host multiple sites on this host?

Is there a good guide on how to migrate my existing Grendel websites to infinityfree with all their databases intact?

Not really, but it’s pretty much the same as with moving with any other host. Download a backup from Grendel Hosting, extract it on your desktop and upload the files. While the upload is in progress, create the databases, import the backups through phpMyAdmin and finally update your website’s configuration files with the new database details.

Also can I host multiple sites on this host?

You can add as many domains as you want through the Addon Domains section. You can also just sign up for multiple accounts (up to three accounts per person).

Infinityfree is better than GrendelHosting.

I think you made a little typo. :wink:
https://puu.sh/nv9dG/53f4d5913b.png

I think you made a little typo. :wink:

Even after you underlined it I had to read it three times before I saw. I’ve updated it now though, thanks!

Well, I did not recived any mail from Grendel about this, nor from InfinityFree, which could be taken as a sign of lack of professionalism. Or the mail getting in the spam section (which I doubt, honestly).

Also, I just now noticed that my website is not online anymore, and on grendelhosting.com I can barely get a page loading, but I cannot finish making a backup of the site I had on it.

If I do not manage to get the backup in an hour or so, I will contact the support (if there is any) to hopefully recover the files (which is unlikely to happen, as I see it; call me a pessimist).

Well, I did not recived any mail from Grendel about this, nor from InfinityFree, which could be taken as a sign of lack of professionalism. Or the mail getting in the spam section (which I doubt, honestly).

Also, I just now noticed that my website is not online anymore, and on grendelhosting.com I can barely get a page loading, but I cannot finish making a backup of the site I had on it.

If I do not manage to get the backup in an hour or so, I will contact the support (if there is any) to hopefully recover the files (which is unlikely to happen, as I see it; call me a pessimist).

The platform Grendel Hosting is on has been a sinking ship for a while now, and all the problems you listed can be blamed on that. We couldn’t send out a notification because the built-in newsletter system was broken and there was no proper way to get data out of the platform regarding active accounts. The lack of FTP or a reliable backup system is just another symptom.

And the irony is that we can’t help you either. Don’t bother sending an e-mail or a ticket or whatever, we are just as powerless and left in the dark as you are. If there was a way you could easily backup an account, we would have shared it months ago.

Apparently, everything works well untill I either try to make a backup, or use a file manager.
Can something be done for the account with the same email as this account and the website sapioit.com

Apparently, everything works well untill I either try to make a backup (nothing happens), or use a file manager (the site becomes unavailable for some 15+ minutes).
Can something be done for the account with the same email as this account and the website sapioit.com

We couldn’t send out a notification because the built-in newsletter system was broken and there was no proper way to get data out of the platform regarding active accounts. The lack of FTP or a reliable backup system is just another symptom.

Than why not email ALL the accounts? Were you unable to do that? Why?

And the irony is that we can’t help you either.

Why? Have you completly lost the access to the server and it’s files? You mean you have no access at all?

Apparently, everything works well untill I either try to make a backup (nothing happens), or use a file manager (the site becomes unavailable for some 15+ minutes).

We couldn’t send out a notification because the built-in newsletter system was broken and there was no proper way to get data out of the platform regarding active accounts. The lack of FTP or a reliable backup system is just another symptom.

And the irony is that we can’t help you either.

Why? Have you completly lost the access to the server and it’s files? You mean you have no access at all?

Edit: I only need the files on the server, not the database (that one is safe)…

Also, I highly recomend you to try adding PHP7, since you would cut some ressource usage, thus allowing you to have more sites hosted with the same ammount of resources used, or less resources used with the same sites hosted.

Edit: Apparently, the php version CAN be changed … but I would suggest having php7 as default…

Actually, using the SSH Console (under Advanced), I might be able to recover the files… by literally listing them and copy-pasting each and every single one of them… cd public_html and ls

cd public_html
ls

For every file, like the next example, replacing filename.extension with the file in cause. The minus represents how many lines to list rom the file. 999999 just to be sure… you can increase or decrease that as you want. head -42 file.wanted

head -999999 filename.extension

Now that you copied the content of every file somewhere else (is in plain text, no matter the extension), repeat from the beginning, for every single folder, replacing public_html with the name of the next folder in line.

Hint: No image and no archive seems to return anything usable… only plain text seems to work properly… but better than nothing…
To go one folder/firectory behind (to the parent directory), use cd ..

cd ..

Last Hint: The SSH Console is the one thing that saved me from an seemingly terible event, and is not present in this new version of the site…

DIRTY, BUT IT WORKS ! … Kinda…

@Sapioit Most of all your problems will be resolved, here at InfinityFree. GrendelHosting was in very poor state, and literally when i tried to visit my sites hosted on GrendelHosting, each 3rd time they would end up in error. Also in InfinityFree hosting you can have more files and more daily hits, which is better!

Actually, using the SSH Console (under Advanced), I might be able to recover the files… by literally listing them and copy-pasting each and every single one of them… cd public_html and ls

I once did a similar thing for download a particularly big image gallery. I used ls to get a file list and then wrote a small script to download all the files through the website. I could then remove the image gallery, wait for the disk space usage to be updated and backup the rest of the files.

Also, don’t try to hide hidden links in your post, please.

A very poor case of vendor lock-in. Believe me, if there was a possibility, we would have done that already.

The servers aren’t ours, they are managed by a third party. And we don’t have much more access to your account files than you do.