The page shows it can’t be reached

my37920.infinityfreeapp.com

I uploaded mine on December 30th. It should be active, shouldn’t it? This is the first time I’ve ever hosted a site. Help! My client is anxious to be live.

It’s active for me, shows a directory listing with a folder that shows a (broken) website when you visit it.

3 Likes

@ChrisPAR, any advice on fixing it would be greatly appreciated. This is my first time hosting a website.

2 Likes

It depends on what you mean by fixed:

• If you cannot access your website, it’s likely a cache issue, you should attempt to clear your browser and DNS cache and try again.
  • If you’d like your website to appear on my37920.infinityfreeapp.com and not the subfolder, you’ll have to move all the contents of the “Sara Sells SK” folder to the “htdocs” folder it’s contained in.

As for the website itself being broken, it seems it attempts to load some styles and a logo that it cannot find. One of the issues is that your stylesheet attempts to load stylesheet.css when the file name is Stylesheet.css, please note that filenames are case-sensitive on the server. I couldn’t locate the logos, so make sure they’re there and using the correct path.

4 Likes

@ChrisPAR, I’m still lost as to what’s wrong. I think I updated my files, but it’s still not showing as a website should?

1 Like

Works correctly for me, all except that stylesheet. Please update this:

<link rel="stylesheet" href="stylesheet.css">

To this:

<link rel="stylesheet" href="Stylesheet.css">

Or rename Stylesheet.css to stylesheet.css (with a small s instead of a capital), as the names are case-sensitive.

3 Likes

It’s usually a good idea to create new file names in lowercase. This will avoid future problems.

The W3 Validator is a good way to check your HTML sites for errors too:

2 Likes

@ChrisPAR, what am I doing wrong now?

I changed the linkage, I think.

1 Like

It would appear that, for some weird reason, your index.html file contains the code twice.
Delete everything after the first closing </html> tag and it should work (make sure you have a backup of the file somewhere though, just in case).

4 Likes

Can you show me? I don’t see a mistake.

1 Like

It’s gone now, so it is either corrected or something was weird with my browser. If it doesn’t appear okay on your end, try clearing your browser’s cache.

3 Likes

“business Spotlight” not working & not on desktop at all.

When I click the Business Spotlight link, I get redirected to a 404 error page.

So this article is relevant:

In your case, the issue seems to be with case sensitivity. You are using the URL business spotlight.htm, but the file is called Business Spotlight.htm, which you can see here: http://my37920.infinityfreeapp.com/Business%20Spotlight.htm

Also, having the space in the file name makes me anxious. Using characters that are not URL safe can cause annoying issues too, so I prefer to stick to letters, numbers, dashes and underscores for file names.

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.