There has been a critical error on this website

Username (e.g. epiz_XXX) or Website URL

epiz_30569901 jaguar.lovestoblog.com

Error Message

There has been a critical error on this website.

Other Information

NOT after upgrade - no changes made. Tried renaming Plugins folder to disable them but no change.

1 Like

Can also happen due to auto update/upgrade.
Uploading WP installation files should restore your website

4 Likes

Hmm… debug gives me this:

Parse error : syntax error, unexpected end of file in /home/vol1_3/epizy.com/epiz_30569901/htdocs/wp-includes/deprecated.php on line 3895

Notice : is_embed was called incorrectly . Conditional query tags do not work before the query is run. Before then, they always return false. Please see Debugging in WordPress for more information. (This message was added in version 3.1.0.) in /home/vol1_3/epizy.com/epiz_30569901/htdocs/wp-includes/functions.php on line 5768

Notice : is_search was called incorrectly . Conditional query tags do not work before the query is run. Before then, they always return false. Please see Debugging in WordPress for more information. (This message was added in version 3.1.0.) in /home/vol1_3/epizy.com/epiz_30569901/htdocs/wp-includes/functions.php on line 5768

There has been a critical error on this website.

Maybe do as it says and follow the link.

You may have to reinstall WP.

1 Like

deprecated does indeed terminate badly. line 3895 ends with " if ( e"

Can anyone tell me what is missing / point me to a working deprecated.php?

May be easier/safer to just reinstall though.

2 Likes

OK thanks for that. My file now matches yours, ending on 3905, but now the error has shifted to 3905, so deprecated.php must be corrupt somewhere. Is it possible to replace the entire file? Failing that it will have to be a reinstall I guess.

You can download the entire file, but you may have to do some correcting of credentials, etc.

Open and click Ctrl+s and save it locally then use FileZilla to upload.
https://github.com/WordPress/WordPress/raw/master/wp-includes/deprecated.php

1 Like

Absolutely! Or better yet, follow the guide that @KangJL already shared, which ensures that all files in your WordPress installation are correct, without any data loss:

3 Likes

Thanks for all the help guys :slight_smile:
Trying to patch didn’t work, so I carried out a full reinstall successfully.
It turns out that WP introduced an update overnight, which failed, so that is the root cause of the problem. Updating to 5.9 failed also, and caused corruption previously, so now I need to understand why these updates are failing regularly.

Of course it will fail. You should upload the WP 5.9.1 installation files over your current installation. That should do the trick

2 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: WordPress Help

12 posts were merged into an existing topic: WordPress Help

Being unaware of the 5.9.1 update (until site was back up), I reinstalled from my saved 5.9 version. Once back up, I attempted the update from admin screen, but this also failed. I have now downloaded 5.9.1 and uploaded to site and all is now back at the new version.

My question is, why are manual ‘dashboard’ and auto updates routinely failing?

Due to limits of free hosting.

You can add this

define( 'WP_AUTO_UPDATE_CORE' , false );

to the wp-config.php file to disable WP update

4 Likes

Ah-ha. No problem now I know what to expect :slight_smile:
I will add that code as suggested. Many thanks.

2 Likes