What are inodes? [EXPLAINED]

//EDITED POST//

iNodes are your file amount. If your inodes are 100% full, it means that you have too many directories and files. They are not file size, but the amount of files and directories that you have. Maximum count of iNodes allowed on InfinityFree is 80000.

This post is tagged with [EXPLAINED] flair, which means that one of problems/questions that people are asking has been explained on this post!

An “inode” is a file or directory on a hard drive. We need to limit the number of inodes on a drive in order to maintain good performance, because having a lot of inodes means it will take much longer to index the hard drive which slows down the sites of everyone. The inode limit is set to 80,000 inodes.

To reduce your inode usage, you will simply need to delete files and directories.

Finally, note that the inode bar isn’t updated instantly, it can take a while for changes to become visible.

I deleted some of files in filemanager(unwanted files),and deleted one of my database also which is not required for me,but inode bar is showing same status(before deleting 17% and after deleting also 17%),please tell me how to decrease it

To decrease the inode counter you need to remove files and directories (databases don’t matter) and then just wait. The counter isn’t updated live so it can take some time before the statistics reflect the actual account usage.

My inodes are 100%. Thank you for information.

@sreekanth like @Admin said it doesn’t updates instantly, keep in mind that deleting few directories and files is not enough. You may need to get rid of way more files and directories. iNodes max limit is 80 000 which means that 17% used, means you have about 14000-19000 directories and files used. You may need to delete a whole part of your site. If you do not like the limits, you can try out Grendel Premium, which is a very good hosting plan and has no iNodes or file size limits!

My iNode counter was at 100 % (43367 of 30019) and so I deleted a large portion of my site.
Now how long it takes to update the counter as I’m not able to access softaculous as my counter is yet to be updated

@Sandeepan said:
My iNode counter was at 100 % (43367 of 30019) and so I deleted a large portion of my site.
Now how long it takes to update the counter as I’m not able to access softaculous as my counter is yet to be updated

The time it took to update is unkown but it will not Instantly updates.
Admin had stated this somewhere…

I can’t reach the Softalicious Apps Installer to uninstall some of my services to free up inodes because I’ve used too many inodes! And the admin post says that “Maximum count of iNodes allowed on InfinityFree is 80000,” but I’ve only used 44498. What’s going on?

hi
this is old post - current limit is 30019