Why is .tk not allowed?

I just wanted to ask a question I always wanted to.
Why is .tk not allowed?
I knwo that it also happens on other Powered by iFastnet hosting companies,but do you know why?

3 Likes

@ChrisPAR said:
Why is .tk not allowed?
I knwo that it also happens on other Powered by iFastnet hosting companies,but do you know why?

.tk is known as one of few domains which are free and only which is GEO-Targetable means you can drive more traffic than other domains free domains as it’s gTLD like .com,.net, .pk,etc. And second that admin picked up is that we do not allow .tk because of phishing reported less reputation. While IDK why they don’t allow on free hosting but @ChrisPAR you can check my .tk website powered by iFastNet on free package!
KHASBlog. You can also develop a site like infinityfree with WHMCS but this is not what you asked you asked about .tk not allowed reasons I mentioned above.

@ChrisPAR said:
Why is .tk not allowed?

I don’t know for sure what exactly caused .tk domains to be banned, but I know they were being abused a lot. Their registrar also had a reputation of taking down popular free domains so they could serve ads to their visitors.

@Ranakhas said:

@ChrisPAR said:
Why is .tk not allowed?

.tk is known as one of few domains which are free and only which is GEO-Targetable means you can drive more traffic than other domains free domains as it’s gTLD like .com,.net, .pk,etc. And second that admin picked up is that we do not allow .tk because of phishing reported less reputation.

.tk is the domain extension of the island of Tokelau, not a gTLD. And in my experience, using a .tk domain is very bad for SEO because last time I checked, Google heavily penalizes .tk websites, to the point where searching for the exact domain name puts your .tk website at page 10 or so of the search results, above many similarly named and themed sites.

@Admin said:

@ChrisPAR said:
Why is .tk not allowed?

I don’t know for sure what exactly caused .tk domains to be banned, but I know they were being abused a lot. Their registrar also had a reputation of taking down popular free domains so they could serve ads to their visitors.

@Ranakhas said:

@ChrisPAR said:
Why is .tk not allowed?

.tk is known as one of few domains which are free and only which is GEO-Targetable means you can drive more traffic than other domains free domains as it’s gTLD like .com,.net, .pk,etc. And second that admin picked up is that we do not allow .tk because of phishing reported less reputation.

.tk is the domain extension of the island of Tokelau, not a gTLD. And in my experience, using a .tk domain is very bad for SEO because last time I checked, Google heavily penalizes .tk websites, to the point where searching for the exact domain name puts your .tk website at page 10 or so of the search results, above many similarly named and themed sites.
.tk is GccTLD by Google.

Internationalized Country Top Level Domain. An internationalized country code top-level domain (IDN ccTLD) is a top-level domain with a specially encoded domain name that is displayed in an end user application, such as a web browser, in its language-native script or alphabet, such as the Arabic alphabet, or a non-alphabetic writing system, such as Chinese characters. IDN ccTLDs are an application of the internationalized domain name (IDN) system to top-level Internet domains assigned to countries, or independent geographic regions.

ICANN started to accept applications for IDN ccTLDs in November 2009, and installed the first set into the Domain Names System in May 2010. The first set was a group of Arabic names for the countries of Egypt, Saudi Arabia, and the United Arab Emirates. By May 2010, 21 countries had submitted applications to ICANN, representing 11 languages.

ICANN requires all potential international TLDs to use at least one letter that does not resemble a Latin letter, or have at least three letters, in an effort to avoid IDN homograph attacks. Nor shall the international domain name look like another domain name, even if they have different alphabets. Between Cyrillic and Greek alphabets, for example, this could happen.

GccTLD

gccTLD or Generic Country Code Top Level Domain refers to certain country code TLDs (ccTLDs) which Google considers to be more like traditional generic TLDs (gTLDs) rather than "country" targeted ones, and treats them accordingly for purposes of search engine optimization and indexing.

Some ccTLDs that are considered to be gccTLDs by Google include: (.ad), (.as), (.bz), (.cc), (.cd), (.co), (.dj), (.fm), (.io), (.la), (.ly), (.me), (.ms), (.nu), (.sc), (.sr), (.su),** (.tv),** (.tk), (.ws). This list can be found on Google’s website.

Does Google hate .tk

WTF! Why is Google going to hate `.tk` in fact Google own a .tk domain [Google.tk](https://www.google.tk/ "Google.tk is owned by Google")

Does Free Domains affect SEO?

No any domain doesn't affect any kind of SEO ranking util your optimization is week! `.tk` is consider as gccTLD and what the heck is GccTLD checkout [Here](https://go.everykhas.tk/2I7t4EG "Google Webmaster Help") for Help.

.com vs .tk

neither `.tk` nor `.com` nor any other domain got advantages over SEO just because of it's TLD but `.com` shows more trust than `.tk` because `.tk` is free and `.com` is paid thus user trust `.com` more than `.tk`

WTF is international targeting?

f you manage one or more websites designed for users in a specific country speaking a specific language, you want to make sure that search results display the relevant language and country version of your pages. To ensure that your content reaches the correct audience, you will use two general mechanisms:

URL-level targeting
You can use three implementation mechanisms for this:
1. Page-level markup (My favorite)
Use the <link rel="alternate" hreflang="x" href="alternateURL"> tag in the section of your pages to list alternate language versions for each page. Each page should provide an hreflang tag that links to all other language variants of itself, as well as a tag that refers back to itself. For more granular targeting, you can use the hreflang attribute to indicate language and country combinations (e.g. en-ie, en-ca, en-us).
2. Sitemaps
You can use sitemaps to submit language and regional alternates for your pages.
3. HTTP headers
If you publish non-HTML files (like PDFs), you can use an HTTP header to indicate a different language version of a URL.
Site-wide targeting (if your site is only one country specified)
In addition making sure your site URLs map to alternate language variants, you will also likely use geographic-specific domains or configure your entire site structure to deliver content to a specific geographic and language preference.

@Ranakhas said:
URL-level targeting
Use the <link rel="alternate" hreflang="x" href="alternateURL"> tag in the section of your pages to list alternate language versions for each page. Each page should provide an hreflang tag that links to all other language variants of itself, as well as a tag that refers back to itself. For more granular targeting, you can use the hreflang attribute to indicate language and country combinations (e.g. en-ie, en-ca, en-us).
Sorry or the off-topic, but let’s say I have a Greek Website, which I want to make it redirect to another URL for the rest of the world, for example make example.com be only accessible in Greece and for the rest of the world to redirect to example.edu.
How can I achieve this? What do I have to put for the x variant in hreflang?

@ChrisPAR said:

@Ranakhas said:
URL-level targeting
Sorry or the off-topic, but let’s say I have a Greek Website, which I want to make it redirect to another URL for the rest of the world, for example make example.com be only accessible in Greece and for the rest of the world to redirect to example.edu.
How can I achieve this? What do I have to put for the x variant in hreflang?

You can get help from Google official about this and it’s possible https://go.everykhas.tk/2I7t4EG

@ChrisPAR said:
Sorry or the off-topic

Then create a new topic!